1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Gigabyte mobo with integrated SSD due in June

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 27 May 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Lowsidex2

Lowsidex2 Minimodder

Neat concept but an enthusiast willing to pay the money this board is surely to cost is likely to already be running a SSD boot drive. I realize this works a bit differently than just OS data but this seems better suited to laptops with large drives for data and this for performance. I praise the innovation though. Keep it coming.

3. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

Have your games installed on a traditional disk and the regularly played ones will automatically be cached up on the ssd. No more "wish I could move individual games on steam to my ssd" sadness. Awesome.

4. EzyRyder

EzyRyder What's a Dremel?

It looks like an interesting idea for system integrators. Wonder how much it will cost - I bet they are not cheap!

5. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

At least Gigabytes is using a removable card for this. It should mean they can just send you out the SSD if things go awry, rather than you needing to ship the whole thing back in.

6. Destroyer

Destroyer What's a Dremel?

TWeaK likes this.
  7. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

8. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 27 May 2011
  9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

i still don't understand what the purpose is. if i buy a mobo with a m-sata port, i'll buy the SSD myself. but, i wouldn't buy a mobo with m-sata because it is a pointless technology on full atx mobos. i'm sure the mobo itself is great but really, features like this are a waste of time, space, and money

10. Lazy_Amp

Lazy_Amp Entry AMD Engineer

Considering how cheap RAM is getting, I'd be more interested in having more RAM on board to use rather than assigning what is essentially a swap file to an onboard SSD. Newegg has 24GB packages for under 300$ after all. I suppose it's a little less power efficient, and I'm simply assuming superior DRAM access speed over any SSD right now, peeps are free to prove me right/wrong.

11. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

This is for use with Intel's Smart Response technology and software (link in article) that will create a hybrid array with the SSD and a hard drive. I am hoping the package deal will effectively be a discount, I think the boards will be available without the SSD too according to Gigabyte's site.

You would still have to bus data into and out of the RAM, surely the hard drive is still the limitting factor even with obscene amounts of RAM? Ideally you want all storage, volatile and non-volatile to be as fast as RAM, in practice you want the fastest non-volatile storage possible.

12. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I like that Gigabyte has done this. It's the only way I'd actually buy it if at the right cost. I wouldn't buy the parts separately because I'd always just use an SSD system disk, but as it comes bundled with the board I'd give it a go.

13. Lazy_Amp

Lazy_Amp Entry AMD Engineer

Reading the article again, it is interesting the idea of storing only frequently accessed user files on the SSD long term, so it's there even at boot up. The RAM idea I stated would rely on caching that data to allocated hard drive space on shut down/sleep and bringing it back booting up. I still think it would theoretically faster in operation, but would negatively affect boot times. I've been interested in RAM disks for a while, but I'd agree the mainstream user would be better suited for this solution, considering how cheap 20Gb of SSD is compared to 20Gb of memory.

14. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

I think it's the start of something that needs continued. Finally we seem to be coming to a point where a SSD can rival the huge capacity and low cost of a HDD, fingers crossed for SSD's taking over in the next 5 years at least in the mid-high range builds(and not just for start up and common programs)

15. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Let's just say that I'm sceptical

16. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Interesting, but it's usefulness will depend on the pricepoint. The lower the price the more useful it will be. As has been pointed out top en systems will already have a dedicated SSD which will make the onboard SSD irrelivant.

Heres the english link:
    http://uk.kontron.com/products/boards+and+mezzanines/embedded+sbc/pitx+25+sbc/kta55pitx.html
    Now THIS is interesting, it would make a perfect XBMC front end if the integrated Fusion APU can decode 1080p content.

17. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

punt OS on the mobo have extra drives for games nice.

18. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

I had that idea wayyyyyyyy before someone would eventually do it.

19. moshpit

moshpit What's a Dremel?

It's such a tiny SSD for capacity, and useless to those already using an SSD as the OS drive, but is it REALLY useless to us? Maybe not. Consider that even though you cannot cache an SSD to an SSD, but you can still remove the swap file from your system SSD and place it on this tiny onboard SSD, reducing write cycles to your main SSD and prolonging it's life expectancy, and possibly net some performance gains by moving the swap to a different drive that is based on SLC flash, very fast and nice.

I like the idea, at least. In theory, it all sounds good. I just hate it that theory and reality are often horses of a different color.

20. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Don't you mean a RAM-DISK?
    like a BIGGER VERSION OF THIS:
    http://www.systemsofhull.co.uk/giga....html?osCsid=58cacad2f3f58826d328db90ff65079c

Tags: Add Tags