1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The kid who's parents think it's cool to let their kid chose their sex.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by GregTheRotter, 28 May 2011.

1. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

2. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

The parents might think they're cool/PC, but I think they're bad parents. It borders on child abuse IMO.

If there was a sign that a child might be inter-sex or something, then I could understand it. But in this case, it's just abusive.

3. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Who cares?

If that's how they want to raise there kids, let them

4. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

I have the same view... Even if they are bat-****-crazy for doing such a thing!

It's more the ethical standpoint I think is being raised.

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Shades of Iain Banks' Wasp Factory?

6. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

+1

7. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I do not understand the hate here. I think it's a really interesting way of raising a child. Rather than ramming down their throats what society wants them to look like and behave in a certain way, they are actually letting their children find their own identities. Haters gonna hate though.

8. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Where should the line be drawn though?

I'm all for letting society/Governments butting out and letting people get on with things, but I'm not sure how far things should be taken.

I mean, wearing clothes is a social construct. Damn society for "ramming it down [people's] throats".. So should parents encourage their children to go around naked?

Also, opposition to certain drugs can be seen as a social construct. So should parents encourage their children to do drugs?

If not, why? Isn't it the parents and children's choice?

(I say 'encourage' not 'allow' in both cases since clearly, in this case, these children aren't acting the way they are purely out of personal choice; i.e. the parents are encouraging it.. which is funny since they're saying it's up to their children to choose, but somehow I doubt that the parents have no hand to play in their children acting this way.. The parents aren't giving their children choice; they're simply forcing their own choices on their children).

But yep, where should the line be drawn? As I say, I'm all for allowing people to make personal choices. But when it comes to potentially screwing up children, I think it steps over the line.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This.

As long as the kids aren't unhappy then it's everyone else's problem. I wouldn't do it for my kids but then again my parenting views conflict a lot with what the Taiwanese do too. Local morality n all that.

Surely we should poke our nose in at the chav parents who treat their kids like **** first?

It's not ethical it's moral. Cultural is morality. Ethical is whether they are unhappy or abused, which they are not.

10. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

It's not about whether they are unhappy wearing the opposite sex clothes etc, or are abused by their family, it's about what they will suffer from the rest of the world as a result of this. How would you like it if your parents raised to you eat faeces, you thought it normal, and then you were chastised by the rest of the world because of it?

11. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

So it's the parents fault the rest of the world is backwards?

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That would be classed as abuse because clearly poop is not nutritious and it tastes bad.

What clothes people wear and how they act are societies decision. They could be home schooled.

13. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

What's good about potentially having males acting less females, and vice verca? There are different genders, and hiding this fact seems to be the backwards thing?

And again, where do you draw the line? Encouraging children not to wear clothes? Encouraging children to do drugs?

Heck, why draw the line at gender? Surely making biological organisms (in this case, Humans) act like Humans is purely a social construct?

Why not give them the choice (or in this parents case, 'encourage' them) to act like - say - dogs? (Serious question; why draw the line solely at gender?)

We do - hence why 'chav' parents have the highest % of children taken off them by social services? (Compared to - say - 'working class', 'middle class', 'upper class', etc, parents)

14. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

I was using that as an extreme ott example.

What if it was YOUR son?

Sure they could be home schooled, and lack the social upbringing that non home schooled people get, i.e are better integrated into society. At the same time, these people might be putting these kids chance at a normal life at the risk. People will always be wary/against/etc those that are different. I can't see any openly cross dressing men lawyers running around. I'm just saying that allowing a kid to think it's normal to act like the opposite sex, believe they are the opposite sex, might not just be a case of, hey the kid wants to be a man, or woman, and not repressing that. It might be a case of genuinely just not knowing what is 'the norm', and then they end up wondering why the majority of people treat them as outcasts.

15. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

In that case, who cares if parents raisde their children at all? It's not like they child should be given a fair chance at life.

16. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I really don't see how you are drawing the parallel of encouraging your children to take drugs. The whole point is that they are NOT pushing/encouraging their children into gender stereotypes.

17. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

They are encouraging them, no matter how hard they try to be impartial, as the kids parents and being home schooled, they're their only influences.

18. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

They are pushing/encouraging their children into it.

If it was truly up to their children with no parental prejudice either way, then typically (and statistically) a male would dress & act like a male and a female would dress & act like a female.

The parent's aren't being wonderfully impartial. They're forcing their views on their children.

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Clearly the kids don't because the kids choose how what they want. Statistics? What statistics? The ones made up of 99.9% of parents attributing social norms to how their kids should be?

Greg. They are not my kids, that's the point. And would I listen to anyone else bar a professional about how to bring up my kids? No ;)

True, so clearly abuse isn't a parenting method that works because the kids cannot fit into society. This is the opposite - it's just a form of extreme liberation. If the kids are terrors then that's a different matter, but given how diverse life is and people are largely free in how they want to dress as adults (down to mankinis...:eeek:), what's the problem?

20. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

Who lets a 5 year old of any gender get their ear pierced anyway!!!!!!!