1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics My ongoing GTX580 problem - Anyone shed some light?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by chris66, 14 Feb 2011.

1. chris66

chris66 Minimodder

:wallbash:

I have just had my GTX 580 GPU sent back to me, after I thought it was faulty - but proved to be fine when Scan tested it.

When I got it back earlier today, I tried the GPU in PCIx16 slot 1 on the motherboard, but, alas, I still received one long and two short beeps, indicating that the monitor or GPU were faulty (According to page 114 of the Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7 manual). While the GPU was away to Scan, a Radeon 5850 was fitted into the PCI x 16 slot, and it has been working fine.

I then tried the 580 GPU in another PC, and it worked. (An older S775 motherboard)

I then tried the GPU in PCIx16 number 2 slot on the UD7 mobo. I get the same beep error. I even tried different PSU's and different connectors (the ones that come with the GPU, in case the user doesn't have the required PCI-E cables with their PSU), but the same result.

I then tried the 580 in the PCI-Ex8 slot on the UD7 motherboard, and it works on that. It does not work in either of the PCI-Ex16 slots.

I can only conclude that the motherboard is at fault, as I have exhausted all other likely possibilities.

It is very strange that an ATI Radeon 5850 works fine in the PCI-Ex16 slot, but the GTX580 absolutely refuses to - makes no sense to me! (The PC boots fine, as I can hear the W7 start up tune - but no picture - I have tried with 2 different monitors)

Is this unique?

Oh, one other thing, I just entered the BIOS just to make sure all is as it should, there is no overclocking except for the memory, which runs at 1600. In this instance, I didn't touch any settings at all, I just checked them. When the PC re-booted, I get a message at boot stating that an overclock failed and will revert to standard settings! But I stress, I did not alter one setting!

When I check the RAM speed once in Windows, it still states that it is running at 1600!

Does this sound like a slightly flakey (albeit very expensive) motherboard?

Any comments much appreciated...

Thank you,

Chris

2. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

I'd actually start looking at the PSU tbh. there's a 100w difference between the two cards, I wonder if there's a faulty rail...

strip down the board content to bare minimum & see what happens?

3. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

to be honest the PSU should be fine its a corsair 850w which will run 2x 580's in SLi. i have a 850w and its runs my 580 perfectly.

Have you tried updating the motherboard bios to the latest version (i know its a recent motherboard)??

4. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

I can't figure out what's going on with your gpu mate, it sounds like it's giving you one hell of a headache. But don't worry about the UD7 reporting bad overclocks. Most boards do this when they register alot of resets in succession.

5. chris66

chris66 Minimodder

I don't think it's the PSU as I also tried running the power from the molexes - using the PCI-E adaptors that come with the GPU.
    I changed the BIOS from version 7A to the 'Formal release' 7A, last week, while my 580 was at Scan being tested.

It worked fine for six days. Then, when the PC went into sleep mode, the problem started. The PC is working, but there is no signal going to the monitor. I only get the warning beeps if the card is in the x16 slots in the UD7 mainboard.

I have tried it on another monitor and cables, just in case, but still the same.

It works fine in a PC with a E8600 Core2Duo and Gigabyte GA-EP43T-UD3L based PC - but not in a motherboard costing three times as much!

I did also take out the soundcard and PCI wireless adaptor - just to be sure. (I had to anyway, as I tested the 580 in both x16 and x8 slots)

I hadn't overclocked the 580 once during the six day it worked in the x16 slot - just a mild overclock on the 2600k - and even then, as soon as I heard of the SB problem, I put everything back to stock, just in case. Strangly, the GPU seemed to die an hour after I read about the SB problem - iy does make you slightly paranoid! Especially when you have just spent the best part of £2.5k on PC componants that are meant to last me about three years for CAD and rendering work!

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Have you tried removing the CMOS battery for a while, then flashing the BIOS again?

I've had boards in the past that needed that to be done or else the re-flashing was a bit flakey.

7. chris66

chris66 Minimodder

Yes, I reset the CMOS yesterday - just to make sure. Am beginning to wish I hadn't have wasted my money on any of it, to be honest - have spent more time trying to sort this out than work!

8. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

If you also purchased the m/b from Scan, i would consider speaking to the either ChrisP or PaulM and ask them if they would take both the m/b & GPU and test them themselves. One of them is faulty and that would seem the only way to prove it.

If you just sent back the board, I'd bet it would test fine just as your own tests with another GPU have found.

9. chris66

chris66 Minimodder

You know, that's a very good idea - you are probably correct, as in this could only (probably) be replicated using my components. I bought all components from Scan (wish I'd have used Scan sure now!)

10. chris66

chris66 Minimodder

(I posted this on the Scan forum, but thought it would benefit being here, too)

OK, My stepson has sorted me out a short YouTube film. I recorded the PC when the GTX580
    is inserted into its top x16 PCI-E slot, where you will hear the one long and two short beeps, and there is no signal to the monitor.

After this, the film shows the one beep and correct start up when the GPU is inserted in the x8 PCI-E slot, just below the x16 slot.

The PSU is another I tested for the GPU, just in case.

Here is the link;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C_vwkvX2IQ

The 580 really doesn't like those x16 slots!

11. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Regarding my PSU comment, I was suggesting it may be faulty, not that the book spec is not valid (clearly it is powerful enough!)

Presumably that mainboard will be recalled due to the chipset SATA port issue - you might find the issue resolves itself with that.

12. chris66

chris66 Minimodder

Scan did ask if I would like to swap the mainboard for another, although they have no UD7's in stock until they get the revised versions. I said that I would wait for the revised version, rather than get a different mainboard, due to the OS being OEM, plus I have now activated all of my software to work with this particular PC - and it isn't as if I cannot use it, it works great, apart from the x16 slots with a 580.

In the You Tube video, it shows the PC 'jury rigged' with a Antec Truepower 750W PSU, taken out of our HTPC, just to be 100% sure it was not the Corsair AX850 at fault - same result.

I have another 580 arriving tomorrow, it will be interesting if this too does not work in the x16 slot/s. If it doesn't, then it is the motherboard that is unquestionably at fault. (And to think I chose this mainboard because I thought the Asus equivalents would be flakier!)

13. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

IME there's not much to separate Gigabyte & Asus, mostly good but sometimes they get it wrong. I've got a GA-7VAXP board still going strong.

Still trying to decide what board to go for myself, but my budget ain't so big!

14. chris66

chris66 Minimodder

OK, I had my second GTX580 arrive this morning, and I have just tried it in the x16 slot in the UD7 motherboard. It works!
    There must be something slightly wrong with the first 580 I bought, because it doesn't work in the same slot!
    This is a problem, as Scan told me (and I belve them, as I too tried it in aother motherboard) sent it back as NFF (no fault found) - and I wanted them in SLI.

Damn!

15. chris66

chris66 Minimodder

I have managed to run both cards in SLI mode on the x8 slots, but the (slightly faulty) will not run, and is not shown if in the second PCI-E x 16 slot!

This is by far the most weird problem I have encountered!

16. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Did you ever get a fix for this?

17. chris66

chris66 Minimodder

I never got a fix, but I had the card replaced by Scan - eventually.
    Would have loved to have known what the problem was with it....

Chris

18. aNuclearPidgeon

aNuclearPidgeon Minimodder

Which manufacture and model was your 580 GTX?

19. Jori

Jori What's a Dremel?

I have almost the same situation here.

I bought a new P67A-UD7-B3 this week with a new GTX 590 (Zotac Manufacturer).

I've searched all entire internet trying to find a solution, and your post is the only case I've found about it. (This post and all other forums you have posted it).

My GTX 590 only works in the PCI-E x8 Slots. It does not want to work on the x16 slots.

I have an old 8600 GTS and I've tested on de UD7, and it works on the x16 slots!!!!

So, its almost the same case, except I am running a GTX 590 and the fact that you was managed to run ok the first six days. In my case, i've never managed to work. I was building my new computer yesterday and I encountered this problem at the first boot up.

Like you, I have tested all the possible ways. Disabling SATA's, onboard fans, front panel USB's etc... . I've searched all entire BIOS, and updated it to the last version too (F4 for the UD7-B3). Nothing! Only works on a 8x slots!

I see that your problem was focused on the first GPU that you bought. I think that I should go for this way... Replacing the GPU for a new one and see what happen.

I've sended an email to my hardware seller, but until monday I won't get response.

It's a frustrating situation :waah: , I was expected to build my new computer for this weekend and I encountered this problem....

At least I can't see that I'm not alone with that problem.

Let's see what happen.

I've recorded a video of the situation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri6mDDZQIW8

PD: This is my very first message. I'm going to take advantage for sending a welcoming salutation to all this comunity. I've joined the forum to reply the same problem here. It's the only site on internet that I've found information about it.

And excuse me if my english is not accurate. I'm from Barcelona and the english subject was never my fort.

Last edited: 30 May 2011
  20. Jori

Jori What's a Dremel?

EDIT: Repeated post

Last edited: 30 May 2011