1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Router Help

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by louist44, 2 Jun 2011.

1. louist44

louist44 Minimodder

Ok so I tried to change the channel I was using on my router, a Netgear thing from SKY. Went to http://192.168.0.1/ but could not even log in.

Reset the router with the hole in the back hoping that would help but that reset my password to use wireless...

Now I am unable to change the router name or network code at all. I have to use an open network because no other encryption or security type would work.

I was looking for a new router anyway to replace this DG834GT.

Any way for me to log in to http://192.168.0.1/? tried all combinations of admin blank password ect but nothing works... help?

Also looking for a replacement router as my speeds suck.

Thanks

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

for netgear its defaults are
    username - admin
    password - password
    or 1234
    one of those will work unless it's running some custom firmware sky put on it.

[edit] password might be - sky

louist44 likes this.
  3. louist44

louist44 Minimodder

i love you
    omg thank you. My sisters been going mad at me as I broke the internets while she was revising for exams...:p

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

The password on all Sky-provided routers is sky with a username of admin.

Sky put custom firmware on their routers which hides the login details so that you're forced to use their equipment (it's even part of the service agreement with Sky that you can only use their routers).

5. louist44

louist44 Minimodder

Does this mean I wont be able to pick my own router? Or I have to pick the same brand or something?

Sorry if these questions are stupid, I'm not very good with networking and stuff

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

technically there are ways around it, but if you do break the terms and conditions, sky have the right to block your service, for which you would have to pay the rest of the contractual agreement.

7. louist44

louist44 Minimodder

Would you recommend that I buy my own router and work around?
    I might try ring them up and say this ones broke or something see if they give me something better... this thing is like 6 years old

8. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

Tell them you are having problems and want a new router. If you've been with Sky over a year, tell them you're thinking of moving providers. Guarantee you'll get a new router!
    When you say your speeds suck, which speed? Internet or networking? What tests have you run?

9. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

10. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

^^This. I switched to a different router and haven't looked back. It only took a few minutes TBH. However, if somewhere down the line you have problems, plug in the old router before you contact sky, or they'll refuse to help you.

11. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

you are NOT allowed to change router with sky.

They will terminate your broadband and you still have to pay until your contract ends. Its so not worth the risk.

As mentioned you havent actually stated your problem "speeds suck" is not acceptable as that could be any number of things.

broadband speed ?
    wireless speed/signal ?

when does it happen ?
    does sit only happen on certain apps like torrent or streaming ?

12. louist44

louist44 Minimodder

My speeds are low for wired and wireless, No matter how far or close to the router there was no increase, the wired PC gets a maximum of 80KB/s when downloading an actual file, Wireless is slightly less.

For example if someone is looking at pictures in facebook pretty much all other things connected to the internet will grind to a halt or take an absolute age to load. Even a 30 second youtube video takes 40 seconds to buffer.

I can only think that its down to two things, the router or the wires in my area (No fibre optic here not sure what's being used)

It always happened, for the last 6 my speeds have stayed the same despite changing from each of their internet packages.

13. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

OK, so the speed problem isn't the LAN (wired or wireless), it's your broadband speed.
    Log onto your router and check what the WAN connection speed is. Also check the upstream and downstream noise margins.

You should speak to Sky and get them to check the line quality - they might put you on DLM which monitors the line quality over a number of days (usually 10, sometimes more) and sets the line speed automatically. If it's still low, you may be able to speak to Sky and get them to raise the speed manually.

How far away from the local exchange are you? If you don't know, use the broadband checker from SamKnows

14. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

We have 2 connections at our house, one gets 4.5mb the other gets 1mb.

Do you have the router pluggged into the master BT socket? Are there any extensions run from the mastet socket, any other equipment plugged in like other phones and sky boxes should have microfilters on too.

I would disconnect everything and plug into the master socket. My dad had an issue with his speed, it turned out that the face plate was not on properly, he removed that and tried the teat socket and it was fine .

15. adam_bagpuss

+1 to your broadband speed been a problem.

is your router plugged in to the master socket of the house. Extension can significantly lower your speeds although 80kb/s means your speed is only 0.8MB which is rubbish.

use speedtest.net to verify your speeds. Changing packages does nothing to the line except when your speed is maxed out. i.e. if you get 6mb on the 8mb package then switching to the 20mb package will still yield you 6mb. Upgrading packages only shifts the potential MAX speed of the line.

+1 top ringing sky to say you have a problem

16. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I sent them an email about my speeds and they put me on the 10 days training thing and also mentioned that there had been errors on my line which meant the speed was lowered from 16mb to 8mb. Never had a problem with the router so far whether it be browsing, gaming or torrenting, etc.

17. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

The 10 day re-training is what is called a 'CCSNR' reset, and is almost pointless tbh.

What it does is it puts your line through the re-training process again, and re-calculates your maximum stable rate and fault rate again. If there is an underlying issue causing the sync rate to slow down, then the maximum stable rate and fault rate will be re-calculated to reflect this lower speed.

It will not, in anyway whatsoever fix any underlying faults.

The only hope you have of this improving the speed is if there was a fault, it was resolved but the DLM (dynamic line management) system forgot to raise your speed up again.

Prepare for battle... Sky will probably cause trouble with this one, and you will likely have to be quite relentless.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2011
  18. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I didn't say it would fix any faults. I said that Sky might try this - and in my experience, it tends to be their default response to line faults (presumably because it doesn't require any work on their side). If the speed doesn't increase, it could be that there's an intermittent fault on the line (or even that the router gets accidentally turned off during this time), in which case Sky's tech support will often raise the line speed manually.

It could just be that the OP lives too far away from the exchange to get a decent signal (which is why I suggested he checks SamKnows), in which case there's not much that he can do.

19. louist44

louist44 Minimodder

Sorry long time to get back to this thread guys thanks for answering.

Its in the master socket, Yea we have phones and two other sky boxes, but I put all the micro filters on them.

Thanks for the clear up on the packages adam, I assumed that the Company would limit your speeds until you upgraded :blush: lol

I am 0.8 miles from the exchange, using various speed tests I get an average of about 0.5mb download speed and 0.2 uploads.

Also checking the actual SKY speed checker, and the BT speed checker they both offer different speeds.

For example SKY said I can get up to 3 - 7Mb, but on the other hand BT said I could get up to 4 - 12Mb or something like that. How are they able to both calculate a different speed? or is it once I switch to them the exchange may change ect?

20. adam_bagpuss

BT speedtest is pointless and massively exaggerated.

how can sky say you can have between 3-7mb when when your currently with sky and your receiving less than 1mb !!!!

with 3-7mb you should be achieving download speeds of 300-700kb/s