1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice PC Build For £350

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dramatik, 2 Jun 2011.

1. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

Hey guys, looking to build a PC for a friend whose main use will be to edit videos using windows movie maker, copy off a few dvds and maybe browse the web and watch some movies. Budget is in the title (£350). Hes coming from an old pentium 2 PC!!!! so anything newer should do. I was looking at the core i3 for a start, not sure about a sandybridge build due to the assumption that SB motherboard prices will be high. Cheers

P.S. Not sure if dropping down to socket 775 would help price wise either:)

Last edited: 2 Jun 2011
  2. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

What of his previous build is he keeping IE case/PSU etc?

3. murraynt

murraynt Modder

If it's P2 then the psu will be worthless and the case pretty close awell.

I'll tot something up.

4. murraynt

murraynt Modder

you best bet is AMD. Something like the 955 would be hard bet.

How much storage would he need?

Do you need to factor in os?

This one is the higher end of your budget.
    [​IMG]

if you wish you could drop the case down to the antec 300 saving you 40 pounds.
    Or drop the PSU/Case down to the coolermaster 335 + PSu saving you over 80 pounds http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cool...r-case-black-with-coolermaster-elite-460w-psu

you also may want to put in an aftermarket HSF which would cost about 15 pounds.

dramatik likes this.
  5. moody89

moody89 Minimodder

Here's an i3 build I've chucked together. I've used the 'older' LGA 1156 i3 540 since overclocking is an option hence you arguably get more for your money. That, and motherboards are cheaper than Sandybridge equivalents. I'm not sure whether you'll need a dedicated video card or whether onboard will do. It all depends on how much video editing he does and how intensive it is. Basic stuff will probably be ok on onboard but a dedicated card may be required for more intensive editing. I've left a graphics card out on this build - adding one will likely take you over your budget however.

[​IMG]

On the other hand, have you considered an AMD build? IMO you get more for your money so I've thrown together an AMD build for you as well. You get a fast quad core processor with an unlocked multiplier as opposed to a fast dual core with intel.

[​IMG]

Have a nose and see what you think suits best. With both builds you can add an aftermarket CPU cooler which would be essential if overclocking. The stock cooler will do otherwise. You may also need additional fans etc so I've left some headroom with both builds. Don't forget you can always start out with this and see how it goes. If he needs a dedicated graphics card in the future then its an easy upgrade which can be done when he has more cash. Hope this helps and good luck!

EDIT: Links aren't working for some reason, but my AMD build was very similar to murraynt's except I opted for the Antec 100 case and and Corsair 430CXv2 which knocks it under budget. That being said, if a graphics card is to be required in the future then the 500W model may be more future-proof.

dramatik likes this.
  6. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

cheers for these builds guys. AMD one looks decent, and yeah gotta fork out the additional 70 for Windows 7 64 Bit Too. 1tb is more than enough internal data since hes got a load of external drives (backups of backups of backups lol). Think I may have to sway him to hit the £400 region. There are desktops on PC world for £330 but I personally feel like a built one will be better

7. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

A gazillion times better...

+1 for the AMD build and save your money on the case and PSU

8. murraynt

murraynt Modder

If it need to be cheaper either use my build or moodys and drop the case/psu down to the coolermater one linked in my post.

9. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

cheers guys think I'm gonna go with this. £20 overbudget but it will do :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: 3 Jun 2011
  10. murraynt

murraynt Modder

looks perfect. btw if you are a student you can get windows 7 for half the price

11. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

I wish I was a student lol, cheers doe

12. moody89

moody89 Minimodder

Looks good :) I can vouch for that case too. It's a nice little bugdet case which should be great if not doing anything too strenuous. It has adequate cooling and actually looks quite professional when you see it in person. You'll want a front intake fan to go with it though I would have thought. On the pictures it looks as though one is included due to the blue LEDs on the front of the case but there's definitely not one on there. That PSU should do the job as well. It's probably not as good as the Corsair CX series but it'll do the job no problems, particularly if it isn't being taxed. It's a million times better than other PSUs you'll find bundled with cases! Good luck with the build, it should do the job nicely. You'll probably be glad you went with the PII X4.