1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Duke Nukem Forever

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by blueIce, 16 Oct 2001.

1. Mongwopman

Mongwopman King Ding-a-ling!

I want demo too!

2. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I have access to it, but don't know if I'll waste my bandwidth on it. How big is the demo?

3. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

1.7 gigs

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I'm buying it anyway, so why spoil the surprise?

5. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Yeah, I'll save my bandwidth in that case. Not excited about it at all. I'll settle for Brink and Bulletstorm for the time being.

6. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Well I enjoyed that demo a lot. Worth waiting for.

7. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Played the demo twice to make sure I didn't miss anything, thought it was terrible tbh, I've cancelled my pre-order on the back of it. I'd pick it up for £15-20 but not full price now.

The mechanics and visuals are utterly dated, the humour seems to take itself a little too seriously, like its trying to hard. My expectations were pretty low already, but I thought it might be an enjoyable silly romp, boy was I disappointed.

It's pretty much a highlights reel of "The Worst of new FPS" with toilet humour by people who didn't seem to actually get the old Duke jokes.

Also it has the worst implementation of "depth of field" ever, accidentally aim behind that pig you're aiming at and suddenly it looks like he has been smeared with Vaseline and not in a good way.

Anyway if this demo is representative of the full game it might be a bit of fun, but its not worth full asking price, and with the amount of decent games this year, and the backlog steam sales have created for me I'm quite pleased to have cancelled that pre-order, I'll pick it up at the inevitable discount on steam at date unknown.

And to clarify my credentials when coming to the above conclusion I was ~15 when Duke3D came along, I was really into it, the humour, the setting everything, I spent the next 2-3 years building levels with a group of friends and playing them at a monthly LAN we set-up and I enjoyed every moment of it. I wanted to find some of the old Duke magic in this game, but I left disappointed. It felt like a console game and it felt wrong in so many ways. The OTT Duke humour being the biggest one, there was only one or two bits of the demo that raised a smile at all (drawing a penis on the whiteboard and hearing the EDF trooper next to me commenting felt right).....

Like I say, I'll probably still buy it, but I don't think its a "pre-order" game for me (and most big games are for me) I'm cancelling that pre-order and will pick it out of a bargain bucket at some point when I've got nothing else to play.

I fully expect this game to be incredibly divisive by its nature, and not everyone to agree with the above, but I think its worth bearing in mind, if you're considering buying it and don't have access to the first access club demo, maybe wait until you do get to have a go on a demo.

It seems that Bulletstorm or Serious Sam do the King better than the King does these days :( Time hasn't been kind to the old fella.

Edit :
    Examples of "Depth of Failed"

http://i.imgur.com/YzINz.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/1Ozoc.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/uK3It.jpg

Edit two:

Data pulled from the demo files seems to point towards DLC already being developed, if true the following has been suggested.

DLC Pack #1 contains four new weapons – a minigun, a “noob tube”, a sticky grenade and a “BFG” – of Doom and Quake fame.

DLC Pack #2 consists of three new deathmatch maps – “EDF Base”, “LKR” and “Map 3″, presumably for the game’s multiplayer mode.

DLC Pack #3 includes 15 new single-player maps, arm wrestling, the “Impregnader” weapon and a karaoke machine.

Last edited: 4 Jun 2011
  8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

typical 2K ******** :/

9. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

As someone who hasn't yet played the demo, but has followed DNF since its original announcement.. The above opinion is what I kind of expected to hear about the game.

The promotional material has just suggested to me that it's a big ball of mediocre trying to make use of the game's ridiculous development legacy and heritage as a cynical cash-grab to recoup the money lost over the past decade.

The feel of the game in the videos and promo material has just been 'off' for me. DN1 and DN2 had a few minor mentions of Duke's ego and character and DN3D expanded on it, but it was never quite as bombastic and ridiculous as it seems in DNF.
    More importantly, the lewd humour and crass jokes were a small part of DN3D, but seem to have become a huge part of DNF for the sake of publicity. It stank of "Well the game isn't great on its own, let's get publicity however we can!" from Gearbox - And I say that as someone who thought Duke's one-liners and the strippers were comedy gold at the time.

Maybe I'm being unreasonably harsh on a game that I haven't actually played yet and developers who were in some respects handed a poisoned chalice; but the problem is that we all pretty much knew the game wasn't going to be groundbreaking as a shooter in its own right and would have to capture the DN3D essence if we (as fans) were to be pleased, but it seems to have missed the point in that most important regard, regardless of any other praise or criticism that I've seen.

I still want to try it out of course, but I didn't care enough to preorder or buy into the Borderlands deals just for the sake of a demo.

Yuck. **** DLC.

10. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

I think you're personally spot on, you sure you haven't played it. :thumb:

The stripper/chauvinist side of Duke was a minor part of a very good ground breaking game which was a good shooter in its own right, with great weapons, an unrivalled level of interactivity and great level design in DN3D, yes I was a teenage boy so loved pay the strippers in the middle of a deathmatch to see them shake their tits, but it was a minor part of a great game.

Now in DNF after the intro section the camera pulls back to show you that you as Duke have been playing the "Game of the story of DN3D" on a console whilst suggesting you've been getting head from two girls in naughty schoolgirl outfits. The whole thing reeked of "oooh lets be edgy" rather than actually being edgy. Then you get the opportunity to throw some poo about which seemed very "un-duke" like. The weapons all felt flat and less satisfying than I expected too. The animations too seemed wrong when you see Dukes body, he seems small, too small. And if you want to see the worst game animation I've seen in a long time go jump up and down in front of a mirror, the running animation is okay though.

Its not that I don't like some juvenile humour, it just seems to not be very good juvenile humour thats trying as hard as it can to piss off the Daily Mail readers rather than actually have any other reason for being (although pissing off Daily Mail readers is usually enough reason for something to exist I must admit). Sadly it doesn't even fall into the box labelled "so bad its genius".

Your comment about bombastic and ridiculous is spot on, they've ramped up the stupidity of the game in order to plaster over the faults and general disappointment that it actually is in the hope of capturing peoples nostalgia for the character and series. But if you do remember DN1 DN2 and DN3D I think you might leave disappointed at full price. Sub £20 and its an instant buy for me though, I don't mind a slightly crap game if the price reflects it.

Oh and whats with the complete lack of mouse control on the menu screens.... :wallbash:

Last edited: 4 Jun 2011
  11. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

For somebody that says they enjoyed the type of humor in Duke Nukem 3D you are taking Duke Nukem Forever a bit too seriously. IMO

12. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

From what i've seen of the trailers and footage... This game should have remained as vapourware. Duke's humour is not enough to carry me through a game with flat/generic weapons and even blander graphics.

13. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Its just not very good at being Duke humour, I was disappointed figured I'd share my opinion thats all, no need to get all ad hominem.

I don't take the game too seriously, I simply said I'm glad I saved myself £35 as I would have been more disappointed had I paid full price and explained my reasons. Evidently saying the weapons were off, the graphics were off the humour was off and the depth of field was terrible in a game forum is too serious? :eyebrow:

14. itrush07

itrush07 Minimodder

One of my favorite actually, hope to play it too once it's out already. Can't wait.

15. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

One thing i found outrageous is that you can only have two weapons at a time. Who thought that would be a good idea?!

16. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Just like that other game that the second part of the DNF demo reminds me of. What's the name of it now.... border something :hehe:

17. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

How would one go about downloading the demo? I'd have expected it to turn up in my STEAM library or something considering I've had an entry, Duke Nukem Forever First Access Club Code, in my Borderlands DLC tab for months now. Not that I'd try to play the game. My hardware is way too underpowered for that.

18. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

I would assume your hardware would be fine.

Go here http://www.dukenukem.com/access enter your code, answer questions. It'll provide a CD key for steam.

azrael- likes this.
  19. eddieuk1983

eddieuk1983 What's a Dremel?

Just finished the demo.

I thought it was a colourful simple romp. The simplicity of the game play for me was refreshing. I am gonna pick this up on release.

Eddie

20. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

It sounded reasonable and well-explained to me, and I empathize with your attitude towards game pricing. Also,
    I agree.

I'll still be grabbing this when I can, the criticisms make it sound to be exactly what I expected - a mediocre shooter with immature laughs. That's cool with me, that's just what I want from it, but like Lenderz, I'm not paying £35 for it.

How I think of it is, all perceived bad quality in entertainment media is the result of inaccurate expectations. If you buy and play a game knowing and expecting it to be crap, you'll enjoy it for what it is (or you just won't buy it in the first place).

Tags: