1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress USS EURISKO - Intrepid Mark II Class

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ASPHIAX, 8 Feb 2011.

1. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Thanks man !
    You will be called to perform active duties shortly ! LOL !

2. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Ok, Here is the back from before - weekend update !

Some bad news :wallbash:
    The servo array for the pylons is not going to be a part of this version of the EURISKO!
    f*%cKI#G cr*p !!!
    Yesterday I went or the last straw. I borrowed a friends pickup, loaded up the EURISKO and drove to a friend (very well versed in RC planes) to show him my troubles. After a couple of hours drawing, measuring and brainstorming we came to the conclusion that the initial design was the best and at the same time the only solution that would result in the pylons moving simultaniously and would fit within the very limited space available.
    There is a space of 19x20x24 mm in which to place the servo's and create the fixation to transfer the force. It's just not enough.
    The initial solution would work but the coolant in the tubing adds that much force that the small servo's wont cut it and I need bigger for which I dont have space. ARGHHHH !!!!
    [​IMG]
    I have spent more than 50 hours working on this solution and its time I threw the tricorder in the ring.

(there is one solution left and that is to place a sping so the default action would be up and use bigger servo's that are connecte by a cable running through rings to the nacelles and that can be placed somewhere else in the ship. Sort of fly-by-wire type thing. This is not a big thing to install and can be done later)

Lets continue the Depron work
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did make life hard for myself with all them pretty round curves. Next time I will sculpt the foam more wisely so I wont have to bend every little piece with my wife's hairdryer.

[​IMG]

Slowly but surely It's coming together now nicely. Then there's the next big challenge, painting !

3. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

could you not maybe run some heavy duty cable down the stand ? like the wires for the fan controller ? this would mean the servo could be positioned a fair ways away where you have more space...

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

You mean "Bowden Cable"?

5. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

yeah that sort of thing. lol you should be able to get small enough guage to keep it small, and mout the other end to your servo arm / motor spindle

6. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Thanks for the replies guys !
    I have tried bowden cable with the small servo's to push the nacelle outward and upwards.
    This is exactly the soft of solution that we came to yesterday but instead of the rigid core of the bowden cable , we would like to use a cable that can be wound up by the servo.
    Will keep you posted !

7. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

BLUEHORSESTUDIOS I haven't lost a finger yet!

Looking Great Dude, Im glad that you started video worklog as well.. keep rocking along.

8. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Thanks man, will have some updates soon I hope as the postmen brought some new chinese lasers today :clap:

9. Tna

Tna Moda'a'foca modding power!

it was nice to see that project growing, keep on the good work

10. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

HEART BROKEN !!!!

HEART BROKEN !!!!

The USS EURISKO has been forced down to the bonus prize category by fans of the Sors Salutis build who posted complaints on the Coolermaster facebook page.

After a week of getting congratulations from all over the world, adjusting signatures and receiving articles from the (inter)national press I am now COMPLETELY DEVISTATED !!!!
    Over 350 hours I have already committed to this build and I thought I was being rewarded for my unique vision and patience of an angel with the depron work as its often described and for my relentless pursuit of quality instead of prizes (eventhough they certainly would help !!!)
    I got better results by the combined votes and by the coolermaster jury themselves.
    But now it seems coolermaster have gone back on their earlier officially published results ...

Take a look for yourselves at the winners page of the Compo

And here for the posts about the about the rule nr 6 !
    And here for the posts about excluding me from the contest masbuskado

I am not the sort of guy that cannot take it when someone else gets a prize nor am I someone who rats out other people just to make a point but I HAD TO REPLY to this.

Asphiax Casemod :
    So I finally found what was up with the results on the coolermaster website. Thanks for letting me know in person guys, real professional! Is this the way to circumvent popular votes, by spamming a much more public facebook page? To be hone...st, the EURISKO has gotten a better endresult by getting more "unique and valid" votes and has received more points from the coolermaster jury exept the builds by boddaker and L3P. And again to be honest (boddaker you are my great inspiration you know that from way before the CM compo and L3P you just rock!!!) they both had to do work to finish it completely. The TRON Lightcycle was running of a seperate PSU but won, you dont hear anything about that. I am deeply , deeply disappointed that a few people can make such a big difference. It has truly broken my spirit that fellow moders cannot allow a clear cut win (by 5x amount of votes and COOLERMASTER jury results) to become part of the modding legacy. You should be very ashamed.

Thansk you all for the support but there will be no more updates on the USS EURISKO for the time being ...
    Regards

Sander van der Velden

Last edited: 8 Jun 2011
  11. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

They just can't do this to you .... :sigh:

12. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

As the modder of Sors Salutis I must say that I didnt even ask anyone to take my side and ask something like this. You can see my facebook page and all I did it was to congratulate the winners etc.
    For me your mod my friend its very nice and unique, the first thing I said it was that I was happy that the other mods were nicer than mine and I didnt complaint.
    The part with the rules was right though, I finished first cause I wanted to go along with the rules and if I was you I would ask them by myself to fix the mistake because I want to be fair with the other modders and their efforts.
    You can ask any modder you want and they will say what they believe about me.
    I was expecting that sooner or later but I cant do something about it. That was a fair decision and unfortunately the mistake came from Coolermaster.
    You should not be disappointed by this my friend we 2 lost many contests and had other mods maybe not so good like ours, beating us.
    And please next time you talk about a fellow modder and his work, use his name with respect as we all do to each other. When I was competing with Boddaker (Brian) face to face in a contest with my Project: Totechnika, I finally won and he congratulate me with all the kindness.
    I gave the price to the forums which was money not hardware as an appreciation to the guys and modders that did so much effort to bring that contest to live.

The rules were clear my friend, modding its not always about winning, modding is to create and enjoy what you do.

Keep up the awesome work and keep your head up high!

13. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Hi AnG3l,
    Thansk for your reply !
    As I have also posted in all the langauges I keep my buildlogs, I do not think that you had anything to do with what happened here this week. And I do congratulate you with your win. But I did not use your or any other modders name in dis-respect. I was simply responding to the comments about how people in your name talked about certain so-called hobbyist spammer modders and how they gain popular votes for unfinished work. That was also not dis-respectfull is it not? I think it is a fact that we cannot control other peoples actions and what they write, but I do think a veteran modder should know not to take it personally if someone responds to that.

The one thing I do agree with is that this is all a bad joke. And if I had known that there was a poll on the coolermaster facebook site about excluding me it would have been a fair poll as I would have had the chance of replying to it before such a descision was made. Kinda feels like they ganged up on me can you imagine? Its a strange thing how 10 people can influence something like this.

I mean WTF did they keep me in the contest when they knew I could not finish or win? Maybe because there were a lot of people inside CM that really liked the build, I dont know. (well looking at the jury results I do know)

Creating sure got the fun sucked out of it this week I can tell you that my friend.

Sander

14. cchr

cchr Minimodder

From what i understand this is all a big misunderstanding, they should have been more clear the people at CM, and I think that they should also give you some prizes in order to compensate this entire mess they caused.
    Both of your builds are awesome, what happened should not bring the two of you in opposite sides and I'm glad to see that it hasn't.

But ASPHIAX, seriously, your name is Sander? :p
    A very appropriate name i might say given the amount of sanding you had to do with this build. :D
    Cheers,
    Chris

15. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

As far as I am concerned it hasnt but I have made that very clear I think !

HAHAHA, Thanks mate I needed that ROFL !
    Best
    Sander

16. cchr

cchr Minimodder

knowing Alex, same goes for him, but i'd better let him talk for himself :) :thumb:
    you're welcome:D

17. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

The rules are different for CM contests than for ANY I have ever entered.
    They actually told me to deface one of their one cases so that it no longer had CM on it to enter a couple years ago. Weird and strange.

I hadn't been to the site since the first winner announcements. This was indeed very poorly handled. A poll? Where/when is that needed?

You can get nominations and win MOTM here on Bit-Tech with unfinished projects. I had 3 nominations before winning mine!

I really find it hard to believe than any modder would stoop to this kind of poll behavior. I have been supporting Alex since he started his first mods with nothing more than an idea and some used hand tools. It is not in his nature to start or support this stuff.

john

PS: If you give up we ALL lose. This is nice modding.

18. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

Psst. It's just a game!

Mod on.

19. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Yeah until its your work that gets treated this way ...

Mod on !!!

20. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

I dont want you to have bad feelings against me due to that misunderstanding my friend, I dont have anything to do with the judges or with any part of that history, as John said I am not that kind of guy.
    Keep on modding and dont stop cause of that or any reason, as I said before we all lost contests and we have being in many "not so fair contests" and lost but we kept modding cause creating is a joy and not always about contests.
    And just to show you that I support modders all over the world I will promote your mod through my various websites and forums. If you want any kind of hardware I might have I will be more than happy to send it to you. :)