1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News CCP: Dust 514 is PS3 exclusive

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 Jun 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

lol spring 2012, /yawn

3. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

This has my interest. Love EVE but don't have the time for it so I hope this is a good substitute.

4. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Dammit, was looking forward to nuking a few of my consolite friends from EVE, but they only have 360s

5. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Screw them

Call me when it's on PC

6. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Absolutely.

7. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

I think anyone familiar with Microsoft's attitude towards Xbox multiplayer knew a long time ago that Dust would never see the light of day on the 360.

If it isn't the standard 2-16 player, peer-to-peer, matchmaking controlled multiplayer, Microsoft wants no part in it. They just do not like opening up the Live stack to outside servers - which is exactly what Dust will need to do in order to interface with EVE.

I believe the one time Microsoft made the exception was for the MMO Final Fantasy XI. And the only reason they allowed that was due to it being part of a bigger deal to get Final Fantasy XIII onto the Xbox.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Dust makes it to the PC eventually, as it could simply be a timed exclusive.

8. tozsam

tozsam What's a Dremel?

I don't understand this recent trend of taking PC IP's half way throught their life cycle and then plonking them on a console, the audience is joining the story halfway through. Witcher 2, Diablo 3 etc. Also there can't be as much hype about the release as if it had been on the PC. Were console gamers as excited about witcher 2 as the PC crowd?

9. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

Don't forget S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2!

10. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Explanations for those who don't understand, why it's going to be a PS3-exclusive-title.

Q: Why no PC?

A: CCP doesn't want to hunt for Dust-players within their own EvE playerbase. They're aiming for a totally different playerbase... the millions of console FPS-players that are three times as much as on the PC.

Additionally, a console isn't that easy to manipulate, and nobody likes to see aimbots, wallhacks and speedhacks in a competitive FPS like this. Also if cracks/hacks are detected, the account can be banned, which is harsh on the PS3 as the account is tied to the hardware (serial number of the PS3!). It's much more effective.

Q: Why the PS3?

A: The PS3, despite the current problems with PSN, is the better network for the gamers, as it's not that restrictive as Live. Another reason for the PS3 is it's native USB-keyboard/mouse-support, which will be supported by the game.

I hope that helps to understand the decisions made by CCP.

EDIT: More detailed information about this topic and alot of Dev-quotes can be found over at the EvE Online forums...

http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=918

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1523672

Last edited: 7 Jun 2011
  11. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Oh, was going to say, sticking a fps on a console from a pc dev, but if they are allowing KB/mouse then I guess it's sort of makes sense.

12. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Dust514 is developed using the Unreal3 engine, and it's not the devs from EvE Online working on Dust514, but the people of the CCP-studio in Shanghai, which are PS3-devs hired to develop and maintain Dust514.

13. Glix

Ah, wasn't interested in researching it too much since I don't have a ps3.

Strange for an UE3 game, it looked pretty sparse and flat didn't it?

14. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Dust514 is a MMO and MMOs allways are a little bit lighter on the graphics to ensure lag-free gameplay. You'll understand this, if you play on huge 64-player maps ;)

15. Glix

Joint operations mate. ;) 128 was not flat!
    Planetside as well.
    WoW being my most recent venture although that doesn't require twitch action unless in pvp which is only 3v3 max.

16. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

Hmm, all the people from my EVE corp who have consoles only have 360's baring myself and one other, which seems to be a similar theme among EVE players judging by the comments

17. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Let the orbital bombardment commence! :D

Tags: Add Tags