1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nintendo shares plummet after Wii U reveal

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Jun 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. coolius

coolius What's a Dremel?

lol what exactly were they expecting??

3. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

After years of development they expected actual firm hardware and release date, not just what could very easily look like a concept.

4. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

It's Nintendo's push to take "both core gamers and casual gamers" with the Wii U that's done it.

Those are two very different markets; Nintendo does casual very well indeed - but the Wii U doesn't have a hope in hell of competing with the 360 and PS3 for 'core gamers'.

By going after both, they risk losing what they have. It certainly doesn't help that the footage they were showing to display how capable the Wii U was, was actually from the 360 and PS3.

I'd certainly be selling my shares if I had them.

5. Paul2011

Paul2011 Minimodder

time to buy some shares! seriously, sony and microsoft aren't going to release a new console for a few years yet and you know every kid will hound their parents to buy one, hell i might pick one up. I just can't see this failing.

6. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

It was a very unimpressive keynote really - they spent more time banging on about how cool Zelda is than they did useful information on Wii U.

7. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

Sony and MS can sell products without releasing new ones, you know...

8. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

That's not true. That footage wasn't to show how capable the Wii U was, they'd already done that with the demo of the bird in the garden, which was very impressive. Better than 360 and PS3. We'd also seen the snippets of Zelda which looked very impressive too.

The footage you're talking about was to show which games were going to be available, not to show off the Wii U's graphical capability. This is Nintendo, they don't show off graphics like that. The brief demo with the bird was all we got because that is all Nintendo believes we need.

As a Core gamer, I have to competely disagree with you. If they get the right Third Party support - which it looks like they might have this time - and get their internet and media features right, they will easily compete with 360 and PS3 in the Core market. I can very easily see this appealing to the casual market too, since it will be so familiar to them given that it still supports all Wii peripherals and software. All they need to recapture the casual market is a good pricepoint, and after seeing that the PSVita is only going to be $299, I can easily believe that Nintendo will be able to pull the Wii U off at a great price.

9. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I don't get it... I think the presentation and the size for a portable console really good. And if it works the way the presentation show, i would surelly buy it. And I am a PC guy.

I still think that all consoles are for casual gamers.

Anyway I wish luck for nintendo. Always liked them, and I hope a daring idea like that should do well.

10. Timmy_the_tortoise

Not true. Consoles are for people with lives and reasonable budgets.

And I say this as a PC and Console gamer.

11. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

It's the classic Nintendo lull. They will have a great E3 next year where they show how much better their exclusives look compared to other consoles, exclusives which will probably launch a year after their announcement (see 1st party 3DS titles). There will be nothing worth buying from them for the next couple of years as they shift between consoles except for the late Zelda title, again.

Unless the 3DS magically takes off, but with that software line up... just no.

12. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

So to be a PC gamer you need to be rich and without a life? Interesting statement given the website you chose to post it on.

13. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

But it was certainly misleading, and they certainly should have stated the source of the footage at the time, otherwise of course we would presume it was Wii U footage.

It's not just me:

www.thisismynext.com
    www.enigma-tech.co.uk
    www.engadget.com

All thought it was Wii U footage at the time.

14. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I was interested in the 3DS as my next portable but I just took a look at the list of available games and guess what, all the good ones are remakes. Guess I'll hold off a year of Kid icarus :-(

15. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

actually lol'd

16. Timmy_the_tortoise

Just because I say Console gamers are one thing doesn't mean the opposite is true for PC gamers. Console gaming is just a lot cheaper and easier. I completely understand the appeal of the more technical nature of PC Gaming, that's the reason I still do it. It's just nice to have a console though, where I know all the games are going to work for me, and I'm not limited by my hardware; rather, I am opened up to all sorts of experiences.

17. Timmy_the_tortoise

I agree. They should have said explicitly that it wasn't Wii U footage. Though, honestly, you could almost tell it wasn't. None of it looked nearly as impressive as the actual Wii U footage.

18. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Good time to buy shares then.

19. Sensei

Sensei What's a Dremel?

I agree with Timmy on this. I have been a hardcore pc gamer for years but with my familly ever expanding, I do not have the budget to upgrade CPUs and GPUs regularly. I have a PS3 for myself and a Wii in the living room. I know Crysis 2 will probably not work too well with my current rig and Im pretty sure that Deus Ex wont work when that arrives. They will work out of the box on my PS3 though. Im not a casual gamer, I do play most evenings and for me, the console is a gaming necessacity due to my financial responsibilities being needed elsewhere. This seems to be the year where gaming technology has finally left my pc behind. So whilst Im happy playing Shogun 2 on it, untill I get the budget for a complete new rig, latest games will have to be bought on console.

20. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

This gets hammered to death around here, and in a way it depends on your location, but for me in NZ PC gaming is actually much cheaper than console. I can pick up all my games at amazing prices on Steam ($60NZ brand new instead of $130NZ on console), and with games being developed for consoles first + a long console cycle I don't need to upgrade my computer at all. I run all the latest stuff maxed out at 1080p fine on a 3 year old system (2 year old gpu) and have over 100 steam games. To have that many games on a console with the price difference in my country would by far be more expensive than PC gaming.

Tags: Add Tags