1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V 50" Plasma suggestions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ModSquid, 8 Jun 2011.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Hi all,

Having had to put my current project on hold (after receiving some superb advice from one of the forum members - much appreciated) I'm having to look for a replacement TV. It's almost definitely going to be a plasma, 50" or above, used for gaming and HD viewing (films, mostly) and doesn't have to be bargain bucket, but certainly not intending to pay through the nose either.

Have narrowed it down to a few models, a couple of favourites being the LG 50PK590 and the Samsung PS50C6900 - I have no experience of either of these, but have seen a working 50PK350(?) at a friend's house, whereas my experience of Samsung plasmas dates back about five years, when they were spectacularly rubbish (in my opinion).

The model they're replacing is a Panasonic TH42PX60 - just wondered if anyone had any thoughts?

Cheers,
    Squiddy

2. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Stick with Panasonic IMHO. I see a lot of panels and they're still the best for reasonable money. And if you can, look at a 60" too. 50" is great but 60" is epic for movies and games.

3. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

May I ask why plasma?

I'd hoped they'd have stopped producing them by now...

TSB

4. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

are you set on plasma ?

UK based ?

i would certainly not buy old plasmas but new ones are thin and produce a great picture but to be honest LCD LED give the same picture nowadays.

id say if your buying a new TV today it must have as standard 1080p + HD freeview + netcast DLNA services (unless you know your getting HD from sky or virgin)

5. Puzzu

Puzzu What's a Dremel?

:thumb:
    I agree stick with the panny if you had one before, others will always seem a lesser TV.

Considered the txp50g20b ( last years but still a good model)

6. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Supposedly superior black levels and viewing angles. I'm considering a 60" plasma myself, the 40" Sony I have now has started to look somewhat smallish in our new apartment.

Power consumption is also quite tolerable on newer screens.

7. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I still have not seen a LCD screen that can match plasma for picture quality.

8. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

How much have you got to spend? I'm thinking of selling my Samsung 63" for the newer model, that's just come out.

Pic's in my sig.

9. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Bahahahaahahaa

10. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

What's your point?

11. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Avoid LG, I'm a Samsung fan myself but I'd recommend the Panasonic if it's in the budget.

Only go plasma if it's 1080 and latest model...

12. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Panasonic all the way for me too. I went for the LED backlit Viera. Lovely set.

13. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

I've got the Samsung PS50C6900 myself, bought it just after christmas and would definitely recommend it. I think you can pick them up for around £850 now which is an excellent price imo.

If you've got the money to spend though I'd say go with a Panasonic Plasma, demo'd one of the new GT30 models a few days ago and was thoroughly impressed. If I were to find the urge to upgrade that's where I'd put my money but i'd say for under £1000 the Samsung is definately one to consider.

14. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Why? They're far superior to LCD for TVs. Better viewing angle, and utterly perfect black levels. LCDs don't even get close.

15. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Wow - cheers all. I do like this forum!

To try and expand a bit:

I'm looking mainly below £1000 for three reasons - bought the Panasonic when it came out for £1250, only to see it drop to ~£700 two months later and don't want to take another hit like that; the money I save/don't spend on the TV I'm putting towards my first major PC build; and finally, can't go too mad as have a small version of me on the way!

That said, though, I do know the value of spending slightly more to get a better return, so not averse to this. I'm also heading down the plasma route again as I haven't yet seen an LCD/LED set that can better the plasma picture for a similar price.

On that note - I do side with the comments that the Panasonic sets are top-notch, but they are quite a bit more expensive, whilst not seeming to contain the online features or additional extras some of the cheaper brands do. I'd love to go bigger than a 50" as well, as I have a one-upmanship wind-up going on with my father-in-law (!) but again, the cost per additional inch over the 50" seems to be a bit too high.

I'd love to stick with Panasonic, so checked out the txp50g20b mentioned above and found it for £900, but whether it's worth the £250 over the LG, I'm not sure. I'll be getting HD TV through Sky so the HD tuner isn't vital, but I definitely will have 1080p (and preferably DLNA) and I am UK based.

@true_gamer - that setup looks fantastic, but I expect out of my range! PM if you have time, though. Also love the multimedia virtual tea trolley in the corner. New kit?:cooldude:

@Xonar - does your Samsung have a decent quality SD picture?

Many thanks all for your input...!

16. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

I'd say the picture quality for SD is good but nothing to rant about, to me it can look a little washed out compared to HD broadcasts and films, but I use the same settings for everything so if SD is your thing it may be possible to tweak this.

I couldn't fault it on the HD side of things though, Blu-ray's are excellent, contrast and motion are fantastic, black's aren't on par with the panasonic set's I've seen but like you say it is a significant bump in price which for me at the time wasn't worth it.

17. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Panasonic bought the rights to Pioneers Kuro Plasma Tech, and Pioneer where the kings of Plasma TV's.

Sam

18. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Right - after taking all the above into account, I think I've set my mind to either the LG 50PV350T (£537), 50PK590 (£600), or the Panasonic P50G30 (£930).

Reasons being I'm not sure if it's worth paying the extra 50% for the Panasonic considering I'll need the cash for the PC build etc., plus don't know if it's that much better than the LG sets (although I realise) these are pretty much "budget" sets.

Has anyone compared any of these side by side?

19. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

I got a samsung 40" smart tv today. its an led/lcd thingy. it cost £780 and has all the gadgets in the world. i got the camera to use the skype application and i also got the home cinema kit as the onboard speakers are pants. finally i got the samsung slim line wall mount and the tv kisses the wall.

the bezel is amazing and having a cpu onboard to use the apps such as sky news app and social tv app is very nice.

overall
    looks amazing on my wall
    lots of gadgets to impress family and friends.
    skype on this is amazing
    seamless transfer from iplayer HD to youtube to sky hd using the ipad app as a remote.

biggest bonus all that i got for £1000 on the button

20. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Panasonics. They're much better than any LEDLCDs or LCDs thus far.

Just make sure they're relatively new, Plasmas are still quite superior unless they're Samsung.