1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Best New Smartphone?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SmilerAl, 24 Apr 2011.

1. SmilerAl

SmilerAl Terminate with extreme prejudice

So I guess the HTC Sensation is gonna be the next best thing then? I just checked my bill, I have to renew in June, when is it out though? Carphonewarehouse doesn't have it listed yet.

2. trixla

trixla What's a Dremel?

i currently have an iphone and will be looking to get a HTC when my contract runs out. After doing a software update, my phone was nearly bricked. Had to do a restore, uninstall and einstall itunes, and faff round getting all my apps back.

3. Bobfoc

Bobfoc What's a Dremel?

Galaxy S if you can get one cheap. Best phone I've used so far. Great portable media player as it supports every format under the sun (MKV and XVid included).

Galaxy S2 if you're happy to signup for 12-24 month contract.

The remainder, for me dont quite cut it due to their MP3/MP4 limitations.

All androids support flash though, and in theory have the same base software beneath it so just choose one that makes you smile.

4. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

And the galaxy s is so much better with 2.3.3 now.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

5. paulcurtis26

paulcurtis26 What's a Dremel?

Well to throw the provebial spanner in the works....I have been using a Nokia N97 mini for the past 15 months and love the physical keyboard and it does all that I require (not over looking the small matter of both Apple and Google getting busted this week for tracking users, I feel quite comfortable with the Symbian software, even though it feels about 5 years out of date) the apps are ok, the web browsing could be better, but for sheer ease of mailing and texting its is awesome. I am a keen photographer (Canon 5d and £1000's of lens) and the last italy trip I did I printed all my photos take on the Nokia into a coffee table bbok and no one could tell the diff between them and my SLR at that size.....

6. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

I currently have a HD2 running WinMo6.5. I had decided to buy a HTC Sensation, as having now used Android on a HTC Hero, I really like how I can customise it. However, the Sensation will cost me approx £500 as I have a really good contract I'm not prepared to give up! I had considered installing Android on my HD2, which would save me a lot of money. Having never done anything like this, is it that easy to do?
    Sorry for the thread hijack..

7. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Installing it on your HD2 is very easy to do. Just head over to XDA Developers and you can find all the information you will need :)

To the OP, it really depends on how much you are willing to spend. The great thing about the smartphone world is that it's simply a choice between what is available now and what is available in the future, then after that the decision is merely between cost...for the most part, all the phones from a particular generation are going to offer the same.

If you have the money, the Sensation is of course the way to go. However, it is going to cost around £600 as far as I know; a ludicrous amount of money that makes even the iPhone pricing look reasonable. The Galaxy S2 is the next step down, however it isn't really as nice of a phone. That said, they did it with the Galaxy S as well; they offered the best value phone out of all their competitors. The Galaxy S2's main problems over the Sensation will be the materials and the software; TouchWiz simply isn't as good yet.

On the other hand, you can now pick up a Galaxy S for around £200 SIM-free, or a Desire HD for around £290 SIM-free. The question is whether you are willing to pay another £250-300 for a phone which will not, in day to day usage, be any faster than the older phones. The manufacturers can push and push the whole dual core thing as much as they want, but you are paying a price when it comes to battery life (the Sensation will apparently be considerably worse than the DHD). And if you use your phone for multimedia, the cash is better on a tablet.

Basically, my view is similar to that of the TrustedReviews crew; you pay a lot more money with the new phones, and you get more power, but it simply won't be put to use for the most part, and you pay for it both in price and battery life. And it isn't like the DHD, for example, is slow...it is very, very fast...much faster than my iPod touch was to use.

Finally, take a look at giffgaff :)

Sent from my Desire HD

8. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

+1 on the HTC Sensation. I'm in the same boat as the OP and this has really caught my eye.

9. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

I have an HD2 running Android pulled from the Samsung Nexus S (latest Google phone, stock 2.3). I was gobsmacked at how quick and smooth everything feels. Had it running for almost 2 weeks now and it feels like a completely new phone. Granted though, my first experience of a smartphone was WinMo 6.5 with Sense on and a custom WinMo 6.5 based ROM from xda (Artemis).

I'm relatively inept when it comes to tech (well, compared to most bit-tech readers), but installing Android was rather easy. Everything is laid out pretty clearly on xda dev forums. You just need to make sure that you have the right version of the software you are installing. At first it can seem intimidating, but in practice it isn't that hard.
    I was in the same boat as you. My contract ends in late June and I planned to get the HTC Sensation simply because I am astounded when it comes to the build quality of the HD2 (I do not treat my phone the way it deserves it frankly). But I think I'll go with a Sim only deal as the HD2 has more than enough grunt to multi task away and keep Gingerbread running smoothly. Mind you, if I had a lower end phone than the HD2 (iphone 3G/GS, HTC Hero/Legend and so on) then the Sensation would be a 100% top pick for a new phone.

10. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

The HD2 is brilliant, even now. It's only slightly slower than mine yet it's so much older. And the father of all our big 4.3" phones :D

Sent from my Desire HD

11. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

I've currently got the HTC Evo and love it, though I will be replacing it with THIS once it's released...

12. SmilerAl

Sorry to bump, but the decision is needed with in the next week to renew my contract with O2.

I've come down to two choices by the looks

HTC Sensation
    or
    Samsung Galaxy S2

I'm unsure of which one to get for software wise now, hardware they look similar. Contract wise both the same too really.

13. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Got Samsung Galaxy S2. The screen is amazing. Its also blazingly fast.

14. SmilerAl

Saw the screen in stores today, I'm **** scared of scratching it now though.

What about software and apps? Android seems to be good?

15. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I had an iPhone previously, and Android has superior multi-tasking and the fact you can just download different interfaces and stuff is really nice. The browser is ridiculously fast on the Galaxy S2. The larger screen is fantastic. Also, you don't have to encode to play videos, just drag and drop from your media collection.

16. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Galaxy SII is the nuts

17. SmilerAl

What does the Galaxy S2 use? Android? Sorry I'm a noob when it comes to smart phones?

18. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I personally would go for the HTC, but i'm hearing alot of good things about the Samsung. Both run Android.

Sam

19. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

20. SmilerAl

So I've got the Galaxy SII, it's now on charge so looking forward to playing around with that soon.

Can I get any recommendations for cases to protect it too btw?