1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Activision doubts Battlefield 3 console performance

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 Jun 2011.

1. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

And this is the reason everyone hates Kotick; the size of the target audience is more important to him than the quality of the game. You have it there in basically his own words, as if you needed to quote anything else this knob-headed ass jockey has said.

2. feathers

feathers Minimodder

LOL. Kotick the knob-headed ass jockey.

3. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I tend to agree with the guy who spend a lot of money on PC upgrades and is disappointed to see there's really nothing worth playing. I mean, there's nothing worth playing on any platform, really, but as a PC owner I'm experiencing a feeling that reminds me what it felt like to be an Amiga user in about 1994. I bought a new rig a couple of months ago - for work, but it'll play games very nicely thanks - and it seems that all there is to wait for is the next Deus Ex. Which will, going by the trailers, turn out to be a massive, massive disappointment.

4. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

Well of course you want to sell as much when you release a product, but let's not forget that the product has to be f*ing decent in the first place. Which really can't be said for the last 3 CoD's.
    I think when developers focus on creative output and quality material they really get to shine and sell well.
    That's what CoD4 did in my opinion. It had kind of new concept, well executed and didn't have many bugs on release. All sequels that followed were plain rubbish, no creativity and shitty releases on PC.

I think that when a developer builds a game for PC first, they pretty much ensure that their C++ (or whatever else they may use) works to a near-perfect extent. Then when they port the code to Xbox or PS3 they can focus on tweaking and downscaling the resolution, etc.
    Upscale from rubbish graphics is sh*t while downscale from nice graphics is still nice (patented theory).

Kotick can say whatever he wants, we were ones his bitch and know Dice pleases us in ways he never dreamt of.

Last edited: 10 Jun 2011
  5. KiNETiK

KiNETiK What's a Dremel?

You make a good point, I am not sure if vgchartz includes digital sales from steam. I don't think they do now that I have done a bit more research into how many copies HL has sold (around 10 million retail, before digital taken into account). But remember, this is over a 13 year period, not a year..

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I swear people try to not understand what others say just so they can make arguments that rely on their misunderstanding.

Bad Company 2 total sales: 2.3 million. Black Ops more than doubled that in just 24 hours with, surprise surprise, the majority of their sales being on consoles. There are more console gamers interested in cross platform FPS games than PC gamers thus PC is a smaller audience. Note that "audience" does not mean total PC gamers, it means total PC gamers with an interest in buying.

7. KiNETiK

KiNETiK What's a Dremel?

While I agree with what you are saying, I think Bad Company 2 has surpassed 5 million sales. Still only a 5th of those were PC

8. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

I'm gonna buy BF3 for sure now just to stick it to that CoD tard.

9. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Hm, perhaps my source was only for one platform and negelected to say, I looked more and found that IGN have an article saying 5 million so that seems reputable.

Black Ops still topped that in 24 hours and more than triples it in total so the point still remains. History of previous Call of Duty games and previous Battlefield games has shown that the money is in consoles.

10. KiNETiK

KiNETiK What's a Dremel?

Yup agreed. Tbh I don't really care who is saying what from EA and Activision. It looks like DICE have put together an amazing game that will look and play really well on the PC :)

11. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

But of course, this is what internet forums are for. Duh! ;)

12. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

so he wants at least a few more years out of the current consoles BUT is acknowledging that they currently lag behind PC for performance. think the next few years may play out a bit differently to what people expect, i've got a few friends that have stopped using xbox live and have largely stopped using their xboxs too, some are contemplating getting gaming PCs too. think the console market may be stalling a bit.

13. faceplant

faceplant What's a Dremel?

I personally think BF3 will bring hardcore BFBC2 gamers from consoles to PC.

Console gamers know they are limited to the hardware in their machines and if they want the best GFX, faster game play and an all round better community then the PC is the way forward for next gen games.

Quite frankly I can't get my brain and thumbs around how you play a FPS on a pad, although the old skool joysticks might be coming out for BF3.

(remake FA18 Interceptor (you youngun's won't remember this) with Frostbite 2, hint hint )

- - - - - -

Quoting Kinetic ' I think Bad Company 2 has surpassed 5 million sales. Still only a 5th of those were PC '
    1 million sales for the PC is still 30,000,000+ in the bank...millions more than the cost to develop the game....nice profit.

14. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Who is this guy? I've never heard of him before

15. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

He's some troll who from time-to-time comes over here and throws some comments. I told the editor to ban him from this site

16. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I remember F18 Interceptor because it's the game that made me buy an Amiga 500. I hooked up a 15 inch speaker under my chair to a low pass filter and amp so I could feel the kick of afterburners.

"Quite frankly I can't get my brain and thumbs around how you play a FPS on a pad, although the old skool joysticks might be coming out for BF3. " - Using a joystick to control FPS character movement is just plain wrong. Slow and inaccurate. Needless to say console FPS need dumbed-down AI to allow for the slow reactions of the console player.

What really annoys me is how some kiddies like to play driving games on a console using crappy thumb-sticks and race with external view above and behind the car. Makes me want to slap them.

17. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

His is the counsel of despair . Activision like many other US studios, seem to have given up , on creating something that will blow PC gamers away. There are quite a few big titles scheduled this year and next, that seem, (based on screenshots) no different, graphically on PC, to how they look on consoles.

Which begs the question; how will they know if poor PC sales aren't just a product of lack of studio PC effort on their part, rather than the sales just generally not being there to be had? They never seem to get asked this.

Last edited: 10 Jun 2011
  18. mattbailey

mattbailey What's a Dremel?

MW3 has no substance to generate press interest, so the only way they can get headlines is to poke BF3 - not really a strategy, just desperation!

19. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Man I hate activisions attitude.... to everything

Bit-tech can u do up a special tshirt to send it to this guy which reads:
    "Churn out till it burns out!"

20. Kakeshoma

Kakeshoma What's a Dremel?

DICE say the gameplay from the actual press conference was on console, so I guess they didn't notice the difference ;)

Anyways, f the consoles, and f u Bobby. CoD is going down!

Tags: Add Tags