1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project : Synthetica by AnG3L (Selling most of my parts)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by AnG3L, 18 May 2011.

?

Choose which design to follow in order to create the ventilation (page 10)

Poll closed 24 Jun 2011.
  1. 1st design

29 vote(s)
    70.7%
  2. 2nd design

12 vote(s)
    29.3%
  1. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thanks bro I will post more on those button and their mounting mechanism in an upcoming update!!

2. miahallen

miahallen Team IRONMODS - World Champions!

WOW...the latest updates look great bro :thumb:
    Fiberglass is a PITA, but so worth it afterward :D

3. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thanks bro!! The work I am doing these days is a real PITA as I am filling and forming the main part and that includes an unbelievable amount of sanding, filing, and repeat till I manage the best result! So far 12 hours and counting! I am estimating to finish that piece after 40-50 hours of work!!!!

4. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

BLUEHORSESTUDIOS I haven't lost a finger yet!

One of my favorite builds going on right now.. I always check out awesome work the this to get inspiration before I start my modding day.

5. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thanks bro, I am glad to hear these kind words from you, update to follow in 15m!! :)

6. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

So Update no 7 its here guys!
    I ve start working on the most difficult part of this mod which is going to take some time and that
    is the main top part.
    Here you will see the progress which is simple enough, yet very difficult in execution.
    I am using fiberglass paste for the rough first fills and then Isopon 38 known as body filler for the finishing touches.

The design is really complex with many many curves and details. The angle of each curve its different (30 to 70 degrees) and I have to create a smooth curve to attach each and every one of them.

The progress requires sanding with grinding wheel, mouse sander, files and by hand.
    After I finish sanding I add one more layer of isopon to cover any imperfections and holes and then sand again, then new spots are revealed so I repeat the process over and over again.

I estimate to finish this piece after 50 or 60 hours of work.

I will post the pictures without comments as I ve explained everything already! Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading this worklog guys till next time, peace!

7. cchr

cchr Minimodder

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:
    fantastic work alex, i must say i admire your patience with all that filling-filing-sanding.
    mod on man!:thumb:

8. Gentleman_Dingo

Gentleman_Dingo What's a Dremel?

Great progress! I love scratch builds that literally go outside the 'box'. All of that fiberglass work you are doing makes me want to test the medium.

In your opinion which do you like working with better: aluminum or the fiberglass?

9. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thanks Chris, indeed that process needs a lot of patience!! You know how hot the weather is here and how difficult it gets!!! :)

Thanks brother!! I like working with both but more with aluminum as its way more "dustless" lolz!! Its a real mess to sand all that excessive fiberglass and the progress is much more time wasting. But I couldnt do that particular shape with aluminum or any other material.

10. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I agree.
    :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

That is amazing Alex! It looks absolutely fantastic, I really admire your patience, well done.

11. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

That's a crazy amount of sanding Alex. I had to put 3 layers on my front panel to get to get the curve right. You must have a layer of dust about a foot deep in your town now...lol

12. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thanks buddy more patience is needed though!!! ;)

LoL thats so true bro, the amount of dust is f*ing crazy I have to clean for half an hour and still everything is a mess!!! Thanks for commenting bro!! :thumb:

13. wolfpc

wolfpc What's a Dremel?

another project well done... I look forward to seeing progress.

14. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thanks buddy, herome pou se vlepo edo!!! Stay tuned for more!!! :)

15. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

FYI drysanding fiberglass can be pretty dangerous... Also I would strongly encourage you to wear gloves and use proper dust collection. If a fiberglass splinter gets into your bloodstream and makes it to your heart it can do damage. Chances might be low, but personally that's not a risk I would take if I were you.

As for the dust collection, running something like a hepa vac would be a wise decision

16. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

I know that bro and I wear perspiration mask always and gloves.... sometimes.. !! I know I must be more careful but its very difficult to keep them away no matter what you are wearing, they seem to enter from everywhere. Even if I wear full cover work uniform they pass through it. I need to work always on my yard and spray water on the ground and wetsand all the way. Thanks for the tips bro!

17. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

Holy heck, that is so freaking cool..I had imagined what this would look like after the fiberglass but this just blew my mind. It looks very fossil and bone like. Get us more updates soon cuz this is just AWESOME!!

18. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

What part of the world you in , I notice your yucca and palms in your landscape?

19. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thanks brother! I live in Cyprus as its shown in my profile on the left side lolz ;)
    I liked the fossil and bone like, your imagination works way better than mine for sure lol :)
    It will change a lot till the end though as I have a loooooot to do yet!!! :)

20. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Damn every time I come back to this log there is huge updates :D
    Keep up the great work Alex :p