1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics HD4890 Crossfire Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sponge12349, 9 Jun 2011.

1. Sponge12349

Sponge12349 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ ︵ ┻━┻

It seems that I cannot enable crossfire..

[​IMG]

I only have one crossfire bridge and some people use two, I have tried swapping the crossfire bridge from one slot to another.

Any suggestions?

I will be testing both individually tomorrow.

Thanks

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

You don't need two crossfire bridges. Do you have all the power cables plugged in? 500W seems a bit on the low side for an overclocked i7 gaming rig with two GPUs... 500W wasn't enough for my system with one GPU lol.

3. Droih

Droih Your too close if you can read this

According to AMD you should have an minimum of 500w psu and good amps on the 12v rail, so crossfire on this is proably your issue where one of the cards isnt running properly.

Testing them individually will proably result in both of them working (one at the time ^^)

4. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

that system is gonna push that mediocre psu hard.

That said it should still enable crossfire.

tried installing drivers with one card then adding the 2nd

5. Droih

Droih Your too close if you can read this

As I'v understood it, newer CCC's wont let you enable crossfire if your psu is lacking, as a way to "protect" your psu from being pushed to hard (correct me if im wrong tho :blush:)

6. KeTZz

KeTZz Minimodder

Have you checked device manager to see if it see's both cards ? also it is worth starting from scratch.
    Uninstall all your drivers then in device manager do the same then take out both cards and put them back in. Then on boot up it should see both cards and say installing new hardware then install new drivers and you should be fine :)

7. Acanuck

Acanuck What's a Dremel?

Not long ago I tried 4890 + 4870 crossfire just for testing purposes. I read up on Xfire beforehand and I saw that only 1 bridge was required. I followed all the procedures but could not get it to work. Since I had another bridge lying around I thought I'd give it a go and it worked, strangely.

I'm not saying that it was the definite issue, because I didn't try going back to 1 bridge to see if anything else had changed.

I've bought 2 of those OCZ PSUs and so far they are rock solid, but I am wondering if it is up to the job of powering 2 4890s.

8. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Agree with the others here. Uninstall drivers completely, then put the second card in and reinstall them.

But more likely it is the psu not being powerful enough. That psu got 2 12v rails rated at 18A each. And each 4890 needs 15.8A. Doesn't leave a whole lot of juice for anything else. Even if you do it get it to work those cards will probably become damaged after a time. That or they will wear the psu out rather quickly.

9. Sponge12349

I have just upgraded to a Coolermaster 600W Gold PSU...I will try what has been suggested.

10. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I don't know if you know about this, but I didn't at first and it will save you disappointment and time. When your drivers are installed and you are in the CCC checking/changing settings make sure Catalyst AI is enabled.

I'd always disabled it in a single card system as I'd had issues with it and some older games. I didn't realise when I changed to crossfire that not having AI on was essentially not having crossfire on. I wondered why my fps were no different..until I used my google-fu... then much joy was had :D (gotta love those noob moments)

11. Sponge12349

All it needed was a reinstall of the drivers. Should have tried it sooner but I was too lazy and the extra juice wasnt really needed for a couple of hours of cod4.

12. KeTZz

KeTZz Minimodder

LMAO :hehe: to lazy to do a reinstall of drivers when your trying new hardware out in your pc but not to lazy to post on the forums :nono:

It takes all of 10 to 15 mins if that to reinstall drivers lol when i post a problem it's because i've been stuck for hours scratching my head lol

13. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I didn't suggest drivers because I assumed you would already have tried it - driver reinstall should be the first port of call for pretty much every hardware problem.

It was mentioned as early as post #4 yet you still didn't try it before getting a new PSU? lol...

14. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

Lol exactly.