1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays PA246Q review per GoodBytes.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Siwini, 11 Jun 2011.

1. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

As promised Bytes review on ASUS IPS PA246Q model. It’s a great monitor and there is a lot to say. What I did was hooked up PA246Q with my old LG ( W2361V) for comparison. I selected few photos and dragged it back and forth across screens. What I thought looked good on LG TN before were absolutely no comparison to IPS. I watched as colors shifted from orange to red, grey to brown. Photos became livelier. I didn’t try too many games, but even in games such as Mass Effect2, Battlefield Bad Company2 I noticed difference. I was a bit worried about 6ms GTG, but didn’t experience any lag or ghosting. Colors were absolutely amazing and rich. Movies playback quality was almost perfect. I split movies between two monitors and difference was: day & night. Gray shirt on TN appeared blue on PA24Q, orange flowers appeared yellow, silver dress appeared light green, etc. Also viewing angles are astonishing as well. I mean really whether you standing up, sit or maybe have an audience picture will stay the same from any angle! I’m still tying to play around with on screen menu and figure best settings possible. Modes such as: sRGB, Adobe RGB all new to me at the moment... If you can stretch your budget I really think IPS is must have tech. You never know till you really tried. The only bad thing I can comment is that monitor makes hissing sound when powered on. I will have to call ASUS, sounds like a lot of people having quality problems with ASUS that’s the only negative, other than that looks like IPS is the way at this moment:thumb:

2. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

To be honest, I have lost all faith in Asus. From several mobo's going wrong, to a DVD drive failing . My Asus N13 router just packing in, and now my Asus xonar d2x causing poping and crackling noises whilst gaming.

I will not buy another Asus piece of Sh%t again.

Ljs likes this.
  3. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

OT but: You have to be careful about being like that, as people have strange & very different experiences.

You see, I have had a similar experience with Gigabyte: Three motherboards failed within 3 or 4 months of purchase, one time of which it took the CPU with it and a gigabyte gpu that just went into nuclear meltdown and had to be replaced. - and yet, at the time, all I had was rave reviews of these products by everyone else.

So while, they were a little more expensive - I started buying ASUS products instead, and going on 4 years now; have not had an iota of a problem (Motherboards/Graphics Cards/ Sound Cards).

I can only assume with products and manufacturing processes as complicated as these, it must just be a bit 'pot luck', so don't give up hope, just try something else!

TSB

4. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Going OT here too, but I believe a lot of this has to do with ASUS' diversifying its portfolio. Back in the early to mid 90s when I started building my own rigs ASUS motherboards were about the best money could buy. But then again, motherboards was about the only thing ASUS did at the time. As time went by ASUS has branched out into other areas and motherboards aren't really a focus point for ASUS any longer (Bindi will probably disagree with me on that :)).

My first bad experience with ASUS was when I got my K8N-E Deluxe back in 2004. Part of it was due to nVidia's flawed chipset design like the built-in firewall, but part of it, like the malfunctioning USB ports on every other cold boot, was clearly a quality issue on ASUS' side. The K8NE4 I switched to to have PCIe graphics fixed the USB issue, but came with new ones. And my Maximus Formula (yes, I'm still in the Core2 era) isn't faultfree either.

Still, I keep coming back to ASUS, because its often the only company offering certain features, which I want/need like ECC memory support.

5. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

Here I took some pics with my cell phone camera, not the greatest I know, but you can still see the differences!

6. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I'm guessing the PA246Q is the one on the left?

7. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

Correct

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Wouldn't disagree. Motherboards are still a major part of the company but the whole market is moving increasingly mobile. PC desktop sales were down y/y in 2010 and 2011 - any company has to shift with the market, which is why Acer just kicked out its chairmen for failing to move with it. That doesn't mean the quality has gone down though, if anything regulation has to be tighter than ever due to clock speeds, power demands etc

It's not good when people have problems but every company does, in every market. The good news is that is ASUS isn't for you then there are plenty of quality competitors in all areas of the PC market :) Consumer choice is always a winner.

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I am glad you enjoy this monitor.
    I'll definitely mark your notes about the high-pitch sound.

This ASUS and Dell U2410 are both 500$ Canadian.
    Considering that in 2003, 2004, a 17inch descent (85Hz, good quality phosphor for no flickering, 1280x1024), CRT monitor was 450$ to 500$ for the larger and higher resolution 19inch model. Either monitor (ASUS and Dell) are actually very good prices. And you can clearly see how TN panels despite their low price... for us, as heavy computer users, I don't see it as being worth it, as you miss quiet a lot. Games, movies, pictures, all look fantastic, and makes the overall computer experience that much more enjoyable.

Hopefully, Siwini, you can get your hissing sound fixed up.
    And if it bugs you, well I guess you can return it, and go with plan B, which in term of specification, and features (other than the on screen ruler features of the ASUS), are identical:
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...e_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

10. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

I called ASUS none picked up. I left them voicemail. I didn’t want to say anything, but since we’re on this topic… I got to say that my 570 got this annoying buzz and Asus thinks its okay. So can’t be replaced I guess, but none of my other graphic cards ever made any sounds so idk. Go figure I guess. I just hope that they fix monitor. That’s the main concern.

11. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Try looking into the capacitors. That usually is the cause of monitor noise.

12. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

Your suggesting to take apart a brand new monitor?

13. Elton

Believe it or not, I would've done it.

14. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

Hmm... I'll have to wait for Asus to call back. There is a void warranty if removed sticker.

15. Elton

Go for it, worst comes to worse you end up taking it apart. :D

16. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

F hate Asus now. No call back from Asus still. Just called them again. This is what I'm keep getting "Thank you for calling Asus my name Ceaser all of our representatives busy leave me your name and number. Someone should call within next 24hours". My response was: "No I left you my number and information 2days ago. No one called me back!" He replied I am sorry but our representatives are still busy. I ask well when are they gonna be free? He said: "Call us within next 45 minutes". So I'm callin back. Same thing again! What a f bs!

Last edited: 14 Jun 2011
  17. GoodBytes

18. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

You know what you're right! I'm sending back to newegg.

19. GoodBytes

Try and call Dell Small Business, maybe you can get a 50$ or 20$ off on that price tag of 500$ with some negotiation..or some free cables, like an HDMI cable and a second DVI cable or something.. not much, but at least its something (I would though try and drop the price, even give it a second try with someone else if the sales can't) :D

Last edited: 14 Jun 2011
  20. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

Thx GoodBytes. As soon as I return this. I will need to call Dell.