1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News LulzSec takes aim at Brink and Bethesda

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 13 Jun 2011.

1. PyrO_PrOfessOr

PyrO_PrOfessOr What's a Dremel?

2. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

3. PyrO_PrOfessOr

Lol Yeah, bookmarked the link when it appear on Friday and didn't check it before posting it. I still agree that it's good to fight fire with fire, but I now have no links to support that ideal heh.

4. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Yep. This is going to affect us all in the long run. This is giving the authority's and governments exactly the sort of ammunition they need to start taking our Internet freedoms away.

5. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

Because obviously if someone could or does something removing everyone else's freedoms is the correct course of action.

/sarcasm

6. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

I couldn't care less what they do, it's those that miss use the information that are the problem.
    For instance, when someone is shot, do they destroy the weapons maker? No of course not, they punish the person who pulled the trigger.

Oh and the stereotyping is pathetic...

7. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

These guys are just a bunch of fame-seeking morons. If they really wanted to highlight security issues, why not highlight them to the companies concerned, or relevant authorities and leave it at that? But no, they have the claim some kind of moral justice by hacking a community and putting thousands if not millions of users ill at ease by not knowing what has happened to their infromation.

'I robbed your bank because the bank doesnt have good enough security, to prove they don't have good enough security. Lulz'

At the end of the day, the bank still got robbed. These people aren't doing anything productive or positive, just generating worldwide attention for themselves in some misguided attempt at notoriety and fame. They are clearly a bunch of losers who try and scare everyone who maintains a negative stance at them by threatening hacks and invasive action. Tehy are worse than Sony et al as far as i'm concerned. They bring NOTHING positive to the table.

And also, 'Lulz' should rank up there as the most annoying and pathetic words ever created in our English.

8. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I would be their friends.

Seriously, why all the butthurt immaturity here? You'd cut their throats? You and others need to stop the exaggerated nonsense.

It's just a bunch of guys hacking weak systems and being fairly well behaved with the results. In the grand scheme of things, I'd rather people with no bad intention do things like this than people with bad intentions.

The fact that companies will start pestering the government to remove our freedoms isn't a reason to hunt hackers down, it's a reason to punish company execs for even asking.

9. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Have not played brink since it issues at the start was thinking about jumping back in soon once we get the free DLC. Too many games to play! But if this is the case then I think ill just hold off with my return to this.

10. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

The Entertainment Industry as a whole is already doing just that.
    Like your Satellite subscription, The 'Internet' will be a 'selection' of 'channels' you pay to view.

11. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

When was the last time you saw a Government take an approach like this? You should know full well that what will happen is an attempt to pass laws restricting the actions of, or invading the privacy of individuals on the internet under Terrorism laws. Don't think they won't just because it might be better to pursue companies to increase security. That won't happen because it is harder and more expensive to attain, and doesnt bring about the secondary benefits that internet policing would. Hence - LulzSec ARE ruining it for everyone else by being combative and not supportive.

12. _Metal_Guitar_

_Metal_Guitar_ What's a Dremel?

‘We were going to keep this little treasure chest to ourselves, but it appears the hand has been bitten. Say your prayers, Brink users.’

Brink users? So now it's not about harming the reputation of some massive corp, but about attacking the individuals that have purchased the product?

Haha, one day they'll find out that they may be safe tucked away in their basement behind the screen, but lets see what happens when the guys with guns turn up and kick the door down. Just like the first person to make a computer 'virus', this is bloody pointless. Who thought making a virus for their PC was a good idea? *Fails to understand*

13. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

Go on then, go and be his friend then, that's obviously what the silly ***** is crying out for. Exaggerated? not at all, I wouldn't have said it if I didn't mean it. I'd like to see how supportive you are of things like this if the day was to ever happen when someone gains access to your bank account.

14. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Serious nerd rage round here. Honestly guys grow up there are bigger problems to get all up tight about than some folks mucking around with poorly secured systems.

15. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Just because they can hack security, doesn't automatically mean that they can write better security.

They have highlighted the irresponsible manner in which some of the large corps handle customer details, however, any credibility they have built has been eroded by their craven need to do more hacks and get more headlines.

16. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

I'm not giving any more of my time to this idiot because at the end of the day thats all he wants which means to be fare I'm falling into his trap with my comments. In all honesty I find him a joke and amusing but the hacking thing as a whole and someone claiming fame and attention for it and getting it angers me. The best thing is to ignore the fool I guess and not give him/them any media attention.

As for being a nerd steveo I'm about as far away as you can get from being a nerd, but your right in saying there are bigger problems out there than this loser.

17. PyrO_PrOfessOr

Well, yeah I'd agree with you here. They have gone too far =/

18. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The biggest issue I have with these kind of hackers is, that they make honest groups like the CCC look bad in the public.

There's so much topics to tackle during the next years regarding the internet and how it's going to look like in the future, and those stoopid kids are doing everything currently to swing the whole thing into the corner of those, who want to rigorously control and censor the internet.

19. specofdust

specofdust Banned

In my experience the worst perpetrators of nerd rage tend to actually be non-regulars on the interwobbles. The type who get annoyed about people hiding behind anonymity and talking to them without the fear of being beaten up to keep them polite. The type who seem to most of us how redneck yokels seem to most average non-geeks.

Kojak, you would not cut their throats. That's childish to even pretend you would. If on the off chance you are actually insane enough that you would cut someone's throats for hacking a company you have no relation to, then you have big big problems and I hope you are swiftly removed from society.

As for how I would feel if someone hacked into my bank and took my money, I'd feel very little. My bank would be legally required to replace the money in my account, and I would think that a bank is idiotic for not having extremely good protection against hackers. Just as I would feel that a bank is idiotic if it has a safe but leaves it open all the time because it's complicated to remember a combination.

20. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

I honestly don't think you have given this subject much thought if you honestly think that 1. the reaction is from nerds. and 2. the idiots are only "mucking around". This is serious. This really is shaping the way the Internet will be CONTROLLED in the future. Did you miss the news more recently of the major countries meeting to discuss Internet security? We're not talking a tea and scone meeting of Hilary Clinton and the Women's Institute.

Tags: Add Tags