1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Duke Nukem Forever Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Jun 2011.

1. r8bwp

r8bwp What's a Dremel?

took 8 hrs on norm only real hard booss for me was the leech. having never played nukem b4 was mildly entertaining. reveiw was pretty spot on.

2. r8bwp

r8bwp What's a Dremel?

sry for double post think was worth at least 70% (having not played the previous games) and certainly worth playing once lol

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I enjoy it.

I went in expecting to blow things apart with excessively over the top weapons with some misogynistic humour and copious amounts of nudity.

I got what I expected, and I don't much care that it cost me £35 for a game that looks old and plays old.

Hail To The King.

Toploaded likes this.
  4. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

To low! I'd hit it with at least a 90%... everyone as said took it far far far to literally...

Toploaded likes this.
  5. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

I'll wait for the sequel.

6. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

I liked punching the Christian Bale-alike in the beginning.

7. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

Having low expectations and still paying full price for a game is crazy. I have low expectations when I buy an indy game, and low and behold, they typically don't cost more than a tenner.

But all that aside, this is an absolute turd of a game. A turd with no redeeming features whatsoever. And just saying that it wasn't expected to be good doesn't mitigate that one iota. I don't expect a cowpat to taste nice either, but that doesn't mean I'll eat it and say, "It's okay because my expectations were low."

And I would rather scoff down a whole Hereford meadow of cowpats rather than play this suckfest of a game for any great length of time. The most charitable way to describe it is as though Beavis and Butthead made a Halo 2 mod. And not in a good way. Even the much touted humour is just creepy. Duke sounds like a sex offender. It's not offensive, or even edgy, it's just unpleasant and not funny. Embarrassing is a very good word for it I would say.

But whatever. After a decade of constipation the gaming industry has finally dropped this deuce and we never need to hear it spoken of again.

Toploaded likes this.
  8. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

Now all that's left to do is go home after work and play it for the first time. I hope I have fun.

9. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

The point is people's expectations were low, but it pleasently surprised many people.

It's like eating a cowpat and finding it tastes of Burger King. It might not be good food, but it's a hell of a lot tastier than you expected it to be.

Whatever conclusions you come to, I guarantee 50% of this board will disagree with you. :)

10. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

I pity anybody who was pleasantly surprised by Duken Nukem Forever, for they have clearly not experienced much that is good.

11. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

And you definition of that is?

12. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

I feel Bulletstorm would have been a better Duke than Duke.

13. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

That is YOUR oppinion, let others decide by them selves. I don't think that this game deserves so much bashing, I think that the game is at least good...

Last edited: 13 Jun 2011
  14. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

This review is completely off the mark. Going back in time? What? Old school?

No.

Duke Nukem Forever is a linear corridor shooter built in the mould of existing corridor shooters like Call of Duty, replacing pro-American propaganda with dick jokes and M4s with shrink rays. Its level design is 100% straightforward, it's full of gimmicky, badly-executed puzzles, it has forced cutscenes and dialogue replete with invisible walls every 5-10 minutes, it has awful mouse acceleration ruining any precision in combat, it has regenerating health so that it ends up playing less like run-n-gun and more like run-behind-cover, there's bad humour around every corner, it has a 2 weapon limit and strict ammo limits which remove all requirement for exploration, there is no exploration anyway, and there's boring turret and vehicle sections everywhere.

Duke Nukem 3D was a game, meanwhile, that was every bit a product of its time - didn't take itself too seriously, had large, open levels with tons of secrets, puzzles that didn't hold your hand, the combat was extremely fast and responsive considering the control scheme of its days, the level design was inventive, with multi-level areas requiring the use of jetpacks and scuba gear to reach, and while there was definitely that juvenile quality to it, compared to Duke Nukem Forever, it's positively subtle in its parody.

15. ogewa

ogewa What's a Dremel?

its a fun game but comparing it to most modern games is not really fair to the game its a good game. completely immature all the time but hey its a guys game from start to finish.

16. feathers

feathers Minimodder

The game is crap. Crap confusing level design. Dated monster fights. Poor character animation. Amazingly gearbox managed to do this on the rather excellent unreal engine (unreal UDK is now one of the most advanced graphics engines out there next to frostbyte 2). The game is a lemon.

17. somidiot

somidiot Minimodder

Ironically those are the two things that really piss me off when it comes to getting a port from console to PC. Now that I've bought it I'm going to have to live with it. But I don't know that I'll ever forgive gearbox for those two things.

18. Pr477y

Pr477y What's a Dremel?

Standard, as expected; Chinese Democracy all over again...

19. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

-So... No open source level builder?
    This review reminds me about everything I used to love about FPS games. Duke3D/SW were a lot like Whack-A-Mole. You get to beat the snot out of stuff, and not stress over dying. It was relaxing. If you didn't like something about the multiplayer levels, you could modify them.

20. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

Confusing level design? Can't say I got lost or didn't know where to go once, it's liner as hell but that's fine with me for this game.

As for the engine, it's built on pretty old tech and not the UE3 engine. From what I can gather, it's a very early unreal 2 engine (they broke away from it in 2001) and they added in all the more modern stuff since themselves (3D realms that is, Gearbox only came in for the last 6 months or so to finish the game up).

Tags: Add Tags