1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

I think its safe to say with how much money they dump in to them its for show and not a lot else.

Again congrats. I would love to see pic’s when you get them

Yeah it seems that every one over hear rides ICON, speed and strength, or Alpine stars. I love my ICON and A stars gear. And im not sure how our prices are compared to you guys but a new bike (ex: Honda R6 600 or a suzuki GSXR 600) only costs around $7000.00 USD so its rather cheep to get in to and we have this awesome thing called craigslist its like a internet garage sale and between it and ebay you can find parts for some cheap prices. And with the open and privet clubs its quite easy to network and find some to help you work on your own bike or who has the tools and is willing to take a bottle of whisky or a case of beer and a few bucks as payment. (ex: one of the girls who rides in our club works at a local store and gives us all discounts. I got $80 off my jacket and another $75 off my helmet)

2. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Oh yeah, and easier to do burnouts :lol:

3. Xir

Xir Modder

:wallbash:
    sorry...

Okay, just for comparisons. If I'd buy from a Suzuki dealer in Germany now, a

Suzuki GSXR 600
    2008 or 2009 would be around 13000$
    a 2010 model would be around 14000$
    a 2011 around 15000$
    wow that's more than I thought...never looked into Suzies before. :D
    Honda CBR 600 RR
    model 2009-2010-2011, around 13000$

Honda CBR 600 F
    only available since 2011, starts at 12000$

And Germany isn't the pricyest country around... :waah:
    (that would be Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Norway due to extra taxes on vehicles)

4. Xir

Xir Modder

Anyway, I always go aut looking for affordable, solid, reliable japanese vehicle.
    And I always end up with a gorgious piece of Italian crap that I love to bits while it sucks my wallet dry :D

5. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

Let me take that back and say they are in the $9,000.00 to $11,000.00 USD price range for new off the show room floor. 2008 and newer used will sit in the $4,000.00 to $7,000.00 USD range. The used motorcycle market is quite good for sportbikes and they devalue like crazy so you can usually pick one up on the cheep. Harleys on the other hand will still sell up of $15,000.00 USD used after 7 years.

They say the only cure for a Ducati is to own one

6. Xir

Xir Modder

Probably true...Takes a decennium or so though. :D

Let's just put it this way, I own a Ducati, and I had more repairs and breakdowns in the first year of ownership than I had in eight years of owning various Jap bikes. :grr:
    But.
    I still grin from ear to ear when riding it, and it's worth it's troubles...darn :D

7. Xir

Xir Modder

...and compared Aprilia's, Ducati's are cheap to own and service! :D
    I got the best of both worlds and have one of each...ouch!:wallbash:

8. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

Haha you’re a glutton for punishment.

now pics. i want to see and know more about them? is there an early post that has them in it?

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

There's something very satisfying about getting an unreliable vehicle working nicely. Can't wait to get my piece of French engineering on the road again with an ear-to-ear grin. :D

10. aradreth

aradreth What's a Dremel?

1) Certainly it will improve straight line acceleration but a stock busa is already quick enough of the line for the road.

2) I'm going to have to disagree with on regarding the handling compared to cars like Ariel Atoms and Caterhams those things are extremely nimble and a tip in time on a bike with a tyre that wide and squared off is going to be terrible.

3) -

4) The wheelbase of a motorcycle actually has a quite a large effect on the handling characteristics (although the largest difference in speed is always down to the rider!) as increasing it causes:-
    • increase in flexional and torsional deformability of the frame which is an undesirable trait and has a large effect on manoeuvrability (stiffer frames are more agile)
    • increase in the amount of force applied to the handlebars to turn
    • increase in the minimum curvature radius as it is more difficult to turn on a path with a small radius
    • Improved acceleration and braking (less (improved loading between the wheels causes less pitching)
    • Improved directional stability (directly relates to being harder to turn in but it is good for touring bikes, etc. which is why they normally have a slightly longer wheelbase compared to sport bikes)
    But you are correct the thick tire will probably do more harm to the handling then the increase in wheelbase.

5) Personally I don't like them but that is just down to taste

I think that is a problem every petrol head is afflicted with.

MV (and buell before HD close the doors on them) is probably worse then Aprilia...

11. mvagusta

Oh yeah, definitely.

The bikes posted with the long swingarms, don't have squared off tyres at all! These bike will still tip in very fast - they might need twice as much input from the rider to do so, but we're talking about maybe 1cm of movement compared to 5mm, if that. With a capable rider, they won't have any trouble keeping up with an atom or a caterham. These bikes would still be miles ahead of similar wheelbase harleys and choppers, and those things can tip in extremely fast.

• Yes, but the stiffness of the tyres, shocks and springs would have more of an effect.

1cm instead of 5mm at the worst, no biggie. Much less input than turning a car.

Can still turn much tighter than any car.

Yeah.

Yeah, more stable, not as nimble.

The tyres on those bikes are pretty good, not superbike material, but way better than you'd find on harleys or scooters, and those things are still very nimble.

I wouldn't do it either, as they do look a bit funny, but still definitely badass.

LIke most things, be it bikes, cars, pc's, women, pick two:

Looks
    Performance
    Reliability

Pick two, and the more of each you want, they more you pay :waah:

12. Xir

Xir Modder

Should be in this thread somewhere...
    Anyway.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (yes, that's Snow) :D

Ah, had this problem before...how to make pictures from one's album here on bit-tech appear?

13. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FTFY - I think. To get them to work properly, copy the BB Code below the photo when viewed in the album.

14. Xir

Xir Modder

Thx! :thumb:

15. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

16. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

got my module 1 test tomorrow morning at 8.15am and then module 2 next week - wish me luck!!!!

mvagusta likes this.
  17. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Just slip that clutch, and keep the revs on and you'll be fine during the slow stuff. Go lightly on the rear brake in the avoidance and emergency stops to prevent any lock ups. Good luck!

I got no minors in my Mod 1, no pressure. :p

mvagusta likes this.
  18. mvagusta

No luck required dude :nono:

Motorbikes are like hookers, you pay for them, and you can ride them however you like, you ARE the bike's master!!!111

19. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Isn't it "motorbikes are like hookers, you can screw the arse end off of them but it will cost you in the end if you do" ?;)

mvagusta likes this.
  20. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

OH SNAP! Mod 1 passed with no faults :D

Althought I did get told off (rather jokingly) for going too fast through the speed trap....!