1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Feck

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by veato, 8 Jun 2011.

1. veato

veato I should be working

It was covered under my home contents insurance with Brit Insurance. Any item away from the home in the UK under £1500 IIRC.

2. Xir

Xir Modder

Your home contents are insured even if you're the one to drop it?
    Or did "someone else" accidentally knock it off the table? :D

That's what German insurance companies need to hear, anyway.

3. veato

I've got accidental damage cover so it was ok.

In other news I'll never order from Simply Electronics again. It's been a week and I've heard nothing about the delivery of my new camera body even though it stated as 'in stock' and 'usually dispatched in 1-2 days'. They haven't responded to any of my emails either.

4. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

I could've told u that. Stick to reputable dealers.

5. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

yup never trust a company that refuses to put its actual address on its website. all you end up with is a phone number they wont answer till they've gotten hold of a nice grey market lens and body for you.

6. veato

Well I've instructed the credit card company to get the money back (within 14 days) then I'll get it from a reputable dealer. The thing is I've bought from them before and it was a perfect transaction.

7. veato

Well I finally got the K5 and it's awesome! The ISO performance blows me away. I took an indoor photo of my baby today with no flash at ISO1250 and it's cleaner than an ISO400 photo on the old camera. It's also much much quieter and focuses a lot faster.

8. MazzaB

MazzaB What's a Dremel?

It's quite hard to compare quotes for this sort of insurance. Anyone know a good comparison site? MoneySupermarked only have one "gadget" insurer who are quite pricy!

9. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Soooo... I dropped my 70-200mm F/4L IS while in San Francisco (was holding it in my hand, walking toward the car and I tripped).

The hood cracked, the rear cap fell off but the lens itself appears undamaged. I might just be imagining it, but the AF seems to have slowed down.

I damn near crapped myself but all appears to be well now (minus the phantom slow AF).

10. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

maybe worth sending it in for a check up, you could of nocked the internals, mis aligned elements or something you can't tell from just looking.

11. stonedsurd

Aye, I will do that next week. Bit busy at the moment.

12. -equilerex-

-equilerex- What's a Dremel?

The hood probably took the blow and dissolved the force by braking itself. lucky it didnt drop on the lens body or that would have ended up in pieces.

13. stonedsurd

Ja, that's probably exactly what happened. I'm getting a hood for my 50 f1.4 because I keep bumping into/brushing against stuff on my daily travels and I could just use the extra peace of mind.