1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress The Fallen At Dawn

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by TeeJay88, 26 May 2011.

1. TeeJay88

TeeJay88 Whens the Damn Zombie Apocolypse

Small update:
    4 shells cut, not just some filing to even them out(trying to find a good method to do that) and I have to to come up with a way to actually mount them, Im thinking small washers and JB weld and then center drill until its ready to be fully glued to the dial.

[​IMG]
    (Hopefully you find the quality of the pictures better, Ive made a light tent and im fine tuning it.)

2. Anubus

Anubus Minimodder

I love this fan controller.
    Awesome job!

TeeJay88 likes this.
  3. TeeJay88

Thanks Anubus:D.

The idea is up here now, so run with it guys, do this and make it better, so I can make mine better.

4. TeeJay88

The only way I could figure out a way to mount these was to fill them dials with rivet washers and a 2 part epoxy.

[​IMG]

5. Shael

Shael What's a Dremel?

I just love seeing someone being green and recycling especially when its on a case mod :D

I do love the idea of the using the casings as the control knobs and the method of attachement looks to have worked. next time u need to polish the insides get a bit of dowel, cut a slot in one side and wrapp and push in some wet'n'dry adn put the dowel in a cordless drill and use that to polish, take dow the inside diameter :thumb:

6. TeeJay88

Well if this doesnt work I have plenty of shells sitting around, so I can do that and just slide them over the old dials because they were so close to fitting, actually I think I may just do that instead, thanks for the tip, I really love when I come on and someone posts positive feedback and assistance, you guys rock:rock:

7. TeeJay88

Well the washer Idea was bust, and the guy who is going to do my laser cutting is getting ready to go on vacation so thats on hold till the start of next month, but the guy who gave me the shells also game me a 10"x48" sheet of 1/16 inch aluminum so im messing around with hand fabricating the faceplate, its going ok, one of the holes is not quite perfect but its really hard to notice once the shells are set in place, well anyways here you go.

[​IMG]
    I have to fabricate a plate to hold the fan controller PCB.

[​IMG]
    Right now the shells are being held in with modelling clay my roomate had floating around, so im going to have to figure something out.

Next I have to drill out 3 holes for the vandal switches, and I have to cut out 2 squares for the temperature displays, I just dont have the money for that right now, im going to finish the plate and paint it and see if I want to keep, although I doubt I will its more of a test run.

All of this is being done with a hacksaw, coping saw, and ******* files, its time consuming lol, well its time to grab some sleep.

8. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Oh that is awesome! I also have a bunch of 303 bullet cartridges lying around..

TeeJay88 likes this.
  9. TeeJay88

Im hoping this idea takes off so I can mean it when I say i'm like David Bowie, i'm a trend setter,lol.

10. Razer2007

You could tap yourself on the collar if someone else also does that.

11. TeeJay88

I would just like the thank the members of this great modding community who have taken the time to view and respond to my work, its really great to be able come on and see that someone has given me positive feedback in helping me work this out.

I was planning on having the rest of the faceplate done today, but it was such a long day yesterday that I was just to worn out to do anything, and I forgot the step bits I bought on my lunch hour in my locker at work. It helps have 2 major hardware stores right next to your work especially when you dont have a car, but thank god I get my truck in August.

Well after tonight I have the next 3 days off so ive got a lot planned.
    Bios reset PCI switch.
    Finish faceplate panel.
    Acrylic plate to hide the psu.
    CAD drafting for the laser cutters.
    Finish mounting the hdd.
    Random sanding.

Once again thank you guys for your support.

12. TeeJay88

Well I got the face plate cut out and most of it filed were need be. In my exhausted stupor, I thought it would be easier to just use the step bit i had attached to my drill, mistake, so right now im trying to fill the 2 spots(yes not once but twice) where I messed up with a 2 part epoxy, if that doesnt work Im going to buy some JB Weld(Yeah I know its another 2 part epoxy, I just think it will work better), but Im almost positive the XSPC temperature displays im going to buy have a border around the screen that will cover my mistake anyways.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up measuring and drilling the mounting holes, sanding, and drinking a few beers. I cant paint until I have the necessary parts, as I still might have some filing to do. If all else fails, I still have plenty of this aluminum and I can always remake it but Id rather not.
    Now when I have some the finances Im going to order the vandal switches and XSPC displays.

More stuff to come the is tomorrow.

13. Razer2007

Nice man. You better watch out for those corners ey. Always cut away less than what you have to, and file away the rest.

14. TeeJay88

Thats what I was doing for the most part I just wasnt thinking when I drilled a pilot hole with a step bit. Well somewhere along the lines I didnt measured right, I measured smaller that I needed so where I needed a 50mm x 30mm cutout, I have a 50mm x 25mm cut so those 2 little mistakes half to be filed down anyways.

Razer2007 likes this.
  15. Razer2007

Now there ya go

16. TeeJay88

Well, the wood dowel idea was a bust I could get the center or keep them from splitting. So Ive got one more Idea, I wont be able to use the .30-06 shells, but im going to use the .41 pistol shells. I'll update tomorrow.

And this is a warning for everyone doing there own painting, stay far away from rustoleum universal its turning yellow ish already and its chipping, and its gives you the orange peel affect so ive touched it up with high performance enamal, but in my haste i got just a small bit of overspray on the 3 keys, and I really should just give the keyboard a light sanding and do the hole thing in enamel but at this point im so over painting.

17. TeeJay88

Sorry for the lack of an update, Ive been trying to work on the case but some things didnt come out as well as I wanted and other things im still trying to finalize. With the fan controller, I finally have the new dials mounted, I just have to polish them and wax them or something so the brass doesnt oxidize. The faceplate for the most part is about 75 percent done, but I really want to got with white acrylic so this is just in case the guy doing my laser cutting cant get what i want done.

But anyways here is a prototype led bullet for and another section of the case, I used .45 caliber with 10mm ultra bright white led, one of these leds cost me $4, I need minimum of 8 so thank fully I was able to come up with a different, cheaper plan, Im going to use 6mm cartridges with 5mm leds because the diameter of a 5mm led at the bottom lip is as you guessed 6mm. I have 6 of the shells sitting here I need to call a buddy and see if hes got about 10 floating around for me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well hopefully I can put up more soon.

18. Razer2007

aww that's cool. It's a light bullet.

19. j0rd

j0rd FLOSS folder

like others said the bullet cartridge fan controller is SICK. Cant wait to see the rest of those bullet cartridges go in the rig

20. TeeJay88

Thanks man, and thanks for your continued support.

Thanks, right now I only have the one other idea, but ive have been trying to work out other using for them. I want to keep the exterior elegance of the V series, so im not going to really do anything other than drill a hole on the top for a coolant fill port.

Well I have done most of the work on this case with a coping saw, and a hand drill and it makes things really time consuming. So a buddy of mine who does a lot of wood working who helped me make my first desk and guitar case, is going to open his shop to me once again so I can use his drill press and scroll saw until I can afford my own. So Im going to draft out some of the parts I need to make in cad and then fabricate them on Friday.

So tomorrow night im going to throw up a poll for a few designs I have in my head.

Last edited: 23 Jun 2011