1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus P8P67-M Pro Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 15 Jun 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Dump the PS/2 plugs and we'll finally get legacy free! No PCI, no floppy/ide.

3. Xir

Xir Modder

You (Bit-Tech) recommend the P8P67 over the P8P67-Pro.
    So why do you test the P8P67-M Pro, and not the "regular" P8P67-M?

4. dansus

dansus What's a Dremel?

Bios is crippled, dont bother with this one.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The guys still managed to overclock. No DIGI+ VRM on this one though, so no options for it I assume. (I've not seen the board specifically)

6. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

While the chipset heatsinks got hot in your tests, is it something to worry about? I have an MSI X58M, which has no heatsink on the mosfets/power circuitry and the motherboard temps appear to be fine. This is with a 920 o/c to 4Ghz and there's no instability. I realise it's more apples vs pears but I wonder if, on this board, that the tim has been applied properly and that's why the heatsinks get so hot? Are there voltage settings for the chipset in the bios? Were these on auto?

It would've been nice if you would've had the time to include the power usage of this board to compare it to it's larger, ATX, kin. With slightly less circuitry being powered, I'd assume the draw from the socket should be lower.

Goes to show that you don't need an all guns blazing board to get the best overclock although it's probably more down to the bios.

7. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

I disagree with the VRM/chipset heat issue - I've got one 120mm fan blowing fairly gently across them and have had no issues. I held my finger down on them for a couple of minutes, yet could only sense a gentle heat emanating from them even while folding.

Also, what was the offset voltage and other overclocking options set to?

Last edited: 15 Jun 2011
  8. dansus

dansus What's a Dremel?

Its easy to get a high OC but not with control, theres little feedback on whats happening, so its harder to get a high OC with the lowest volts.

I would like to know what settings they used to get a stable 5.1+ too. I can get 5 on this board but vcore and temps are too high for 24/7.

9. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

The voltage settings are listed in the article. The VID of our chip is 1.2V so you can work out what the offset was set to from that.

10. improprietary

improprietary FT03 is a bitch to watercool

the board overclocks the i5-2500k to 4.3GHz which is fine in my eyes.
    I've used this board for over a month and the only worry i have is having it mounted on the wall of my case with a thermalright silver arrow dangling from it. Oh yeah and that the single sata connector isn't set more on the side of the board.
    This review sounds very fair.

11. dansus

dansus What's a Dremel?

Is the vcore reading from bois or cpu-z?

My VID is 1.37, probably why temps are so high. Ive had to set a modest +offset and then use Turbo volt increase to get stable OC while keeping temps down.

12. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

The reading is from the BIOS. We know the VID of our chip is 1.2V (hats the same across all boards) and to get the overclock stable we had to use the +0.14V offset value giving us the final Vcore of 1.34V.

13. dansus

dansus What's a Dremel?

Thats weird, my vid is 1.37 and im using offset of +.30v, yet bios reports vcore of 1.28v. Somethings not right somewhere.

14. dansus

dansus What's a Dremel?

Thats weird, my vid is 1.37 and im using offset of +.30v, yet bios reports vcore of 1.28v.[/QUOTE]

Correction, thats an offset of +0.030

I tried adding 0.14v and it works, 5.1 easy, but cpu became a nuclear reactor. Time to hunt down one with a lower VID.

15. slothy89

slothy89 MicroModder

How tight are your LoadLineCalibration settings? The tighter the LLC, the closer to the true voltage will be used and shown in CPU-Z

16. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

Whats up with all the Aus mobo reviews? What about Gigabyte, MSI, EVGA? Is Asus the only one out there?

17. bogbrain

bogbrain What's a Dremel?

As a newbie to overclocking i thought i would try the settings in the review of 5.1GHz, 100MHz Base Clock, 51x multiplier, 1,600MHz dual-channel DDR3 memory at 8-8-8-24-74-1T.
    However I am unable to run Prime 95 or the Intel burn test for more than a few seconds without crashing.
    Are there other settings that need to be adjusted as well as the two mentioned.

18. zoea

zoea What's a Dremel?

I'd also like to know the answer to bogbrain's question, above. Please give us infos!

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Your chip probably can't do it, or, you need to play around with voltages and the UEFI more. The review should be just a guideline to start from - Google for P8P67 BIOS guides and they should turn up :)

20. Zurflux

Zurflux What's a Dremel?

Ram Problems?

Hey, just wondering if you had any problems using the Corsair Vengenace memory on the P8P67-M PRO motherboard as I have a similar setup but mine will not allow me to even boot up my system.

Thanks in advance! Zurflux

Tags: Add Tags