1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Dear EA, take a running jump!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Gunsmith, 15 Jun 2011.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Retail box it is then!

Dear EA,

Would you prefer that Amazon, Play or Gamestation got a cut of your profits?

Please let me know as soon as you have decided.

Many thanks,

Parge

2. TheLegendJoe

TheLegendJoe Syntax error

I bet they'll be forced to allow their games to be published on other sites soon (Steam, grog or whatever) due to "unfair competition" If BF3 isn't on steam that'll be a BIG BIG turn off, I had tonne of problems with BC2 :/

3. Parge

Also, don't they realise that a platform like this has to succeed on its own merits, it'll never be successful if they just go all corporate and use their clout to force people to use Origin.

Make it better than Steam, and then I'll use it. Simples.

4. IronDoc

IronDoc What's a Dremel?

It's not really fair to compare just steam's normal prices versus the best deal you can find elsewhere though. And you're paying for convenience, more or less.
    But really, who buys from steam when there's no sale on? :p

5. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

I know... how dare they launch their own Digital Distribution platform and use their own games on it. How dare they think they have the right to do that...

Oh I doubt it.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

looks like my Amazon BF3 order will not be cancelled.

EA, im disappointed. seems like their business strategy is to sell in as little channel as possible, not sure how that will work out.

7. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Well, for a start consider that a lot of people buy off Steam because it's more convenient, and often more reliable than having a disc copy (discs can easily be lost/scratched). For that reason, I'd still be willing to pay a little more for a game on Steam, but probably not more than £5 more than it's available for elsewhere.

Because the prices are set by the publishers, not by Valve themselves. They tell them what to charge for the game, and any promotional deals have to be run through them as well, so don't blame Valve/Steam for what you see as being a rip off - they're simply charging the RRP for a game which is discounted in the shops. If it was up to Valve they would probably charge less, but the publishers won't allow it because it pisses off the retail chains like Game and HMV.

8. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

read about the move last night. What a great way to show customers you care by forcing **** down their throat. I bet BF3 won't be coming out on steam so i'll just pick it up a year or so after release.

How can EA honestly hope to compete with steam by selling only their games on their store.

EA is pretty much like Activision except that Activision (CEO) will blatantly tell people to their face that they are greedy *******s.

9. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

not hard to type amazon.co.uk and play.com taking all of 30 secs to check the price.

I think lots of people on here buy from steam on here at normal prices and even pre-order.

maybe its just me but i certainly dont like paying 20-60% more for convenience of not leaving my house

10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

You bring up a good point in that this kind of argument has been seen with Steam back in the day. The issue is that they've actively made Valve stop selling the game on Steam. That's the real insult.

11. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

this

retail stores buy their stock and then make up the prices, steam is controlled directly by the developer as there is no physical media. if the publisher sold the game to steam on a stock basis that could be interesting, but is unlikely to happen!

Any Valve games come out at a more reasonable price, and quite often have 4 pack deals etc

RPS with a hilarious synopsis as usual:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...otgun/steam+(Rock,+Paper,+Shotgun:+Steam+RSS)

“Where were you when the war began, Daddy?”
    “Well, little Ignatius H. Meer III, I was at my PC, staring vacantly at Twitter. Probably eating some crisps as I did. I’ll never forget that dark, terrible day. The day that EA decided they could fight Steam.”
    “Daddy? Why are you crying, Daddy?”

Last edited: 15 Jun 2011
  12. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

im not bashing steam (i said i like it) before someone else bites my head off all im saying is so what if its pulled from steam as 9/10 retail is cheaper

13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Just visited the Steam forums where predictably a lot of anger is breaking out and someone raised a good point:

What happens to future patches? Specifically, the DX11 patch.

Uh oh. What if EA make the DX11 patch 'Origin only'...

14. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Whilst denying sales elsewhere is quite dickish, Steam does need some competition, otherwise it's surge to being a true monopoly is unstoppable. Steam has so many advantages and I am a huge fan, but the prices (especially here in Ireland) are insane and completely unjustifiable. Typically €15-20 difference in Ireland and UK pricing, never might retail stores or even Amazon etc.

EA have shot themselves in the foot a little with this, but their published games catalogue is not too small either.

I'm getting a physical copy of BF3 through ZiiP Gamestore anyway, but download through Origin anyway (if it's supported). Download using a code, physical copy in hand afterwards, huzzah.

It will be interesting to see how this stacks up against EA with the (in my opinion) over-the-top reaction regarding the BF3 DLC.

Another thing with Steam that annoys me is the lack of payment options. I have a company credit card, but not a personal one and in no financial state to get one either. Moneybookers works a treat on the Gamestore, why isn't it more widespread?

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

16. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

People are aware Origin isn't open all the time right? well it wasn't on my rig anyway...

17. knuck

knuck Hate your face

We are entering the dark ages of gaming.

Let's see ..

-consoletards
    -developers rehashing the same crap over and over
    -publishers pushing for early releases
    -retarded DLCs
    -you don't own your games anymore
    -consoletards

*sigh*

I guess I'll do the same as everyone else and buy the game from retail.

18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

its been like this for years.

19. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Oh wow. Just. Wow.

Hey EA, how low can you limbo? People use Steam because it's good. Make your pile of **** better than Steam and people may reconsider.

It's starting to look like I'll just keep grinding my current games collection until there no longer are opponents online or until I don't feel like playing PC-games anymore. It's not like I'm tempted to buy any new games when all news seem to be ******** these days.

20. Parge

No.

Always on, high speed connectivity for the majority of the western world
    Steam + its sales… (no more patching –yay!)
    …possibly resulting in a drop in piracy
    Great graphics…
    ….but even mid level GPUs that can play everything on max
    New ways to interact with games (even if they aren’t for me)
    DLCs instead of £15 ‘expansion packs’
    Games becoming less geeky!

I could go on….

boiled_elephant likes this.