1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress COMPLETED - Watercooled CarPC - November 12th. Danish CaseModding Champion! :)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Angel OD, 20 Apr 2011.

1. wahoomcdaniel

wahoomcdaniel Minimodder

The input and output location was a surprise. I was trying to figure how you would have room on the top of the block for the two barbs.
    It makes sense though, to keep the profile as low as possible.

The block looks great with the slots.:thumb:

2. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

that block looks awesome... Even if it isn't "the most efficient" as others say, it isn't going to be powering anything ridiculous anyway so it seems fine (that and I'm no expert at watercooling, so to me it at least seems logical). Definitely like the fins on the side

Last edited: 13 Jun 2011
  3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Yes. Slitting saws rule. I'm kinda bummed I don't have the torque or coolant system needed to use them. -Well, I can. Just not on plastics...and I have to go insanely slow.

What's all this talk of efficiency I hear? This is more about fun!

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Agreed :D:thumb:.

About the you tube thing, I only just figured out how to have youtube vids in posts :D, you take the end code from the you tube link & add it beween the youtube wrapper.
    Code for this vid is 9__EUWqK_8A so.

Nice vid BTW :D:hehe::thumb:.

Just when I thought it couldn't look any nicer it totally does :).

Many sacrifice a little performance for amazing looks all the time, something I'm yet to dare try :D but as long as it's worth it & temps are at least safe which I'm sure this is then nice one :) gorgeous conversion of a block of alu :rock:.

5. Shael

Shael What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop:now that is one very sexy waterblock :rock:, i love the fins that you have cut out on the side, they realy add to the look of the block :clap:

6. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Woho.. slitting saws Cheesecake:rock:....but I have to say that gray goo and the thought of using them again gives me shivers. But as you just proved, they can indeed produce some really nice results

Anyway, this build is awsome and I so love the good old Angel OD style waterblock.

5 stars and a bucket of rep+

7. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

wahoomcdaniel <- Thx. The reason why I'm not gonna let coolant flow in and out through the top will be revealed tomorrow. It will give meaning I hope! :)

Btw - Made the inlet/outlet today!

[​IMG]

mosquito <- Thank you sir. :)

Cheaps <- I have the torque, but the cooling was just oil on a brush... Slow and painfull! I made the whole thing manually.
    yeah, if it does what it's supposed to, I don't care about a couple of degrees of cooling! :)

Edit: I love you too! :lol:

Waynio <- Thx a bunch! Tried everything else I think! :lol: Aaaaand... Thx for the kind words! :)

shael <- Ty very much! :)

The_Gnu <- Yup, there is nothing like a nasty flashback! :lol: But I have to say that you sure as hell proved it before I did! :)

A small update: I got the rad and the fans today!

[​IMG]

Doesn't look special at all, does it?

But... When I put my standard measuring device next to it, you can't help but think "Why do they even make that?" :lol:

[​IMG]

To get it in the loop, I had to make a transistionpart for the barbs:

[​IMG]

Ripped the fans apart to give them a coat of paint...

Note to self "STOP PULLING THINGS APART" :lol: Broke one, and the other runs funny!

Back to square one on buying new fans!

[​IMG]

That's it for now. I'll be back with the top of the block tomorrow. Hopefully actually the finished block! :rock:

Last edited: 18 Sep 2011
    The_Gnu and Cheapskate like this.
  8. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

That's very interesting, at least the PC will go to good use, playing the beatles!
    Fantastic project!

9. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

zomg worlds smallest radiator!

10. Shael

Shael What's a Dremel?

Nice work:clap: on the outlet holes and on the new barbs for the radiator :dremel:

Now how and where in the world:idea: did you get the radiator from? as i can think of a use for that :D

11. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

They made the 2 X 40mm radiators so that You and Me and Langer would spend money cooling something that didn't need cooled in the first place. :wallbash: I even bought 2 - in case.

I have a Blue Krylon painted one and a Red one too.:clap::clap:

12. LooZypher

LooZypher Huh!? What!?

That cpu-block is the sexiest (non-boobed) thing I've ever seen;
    Angel OD; you rock.

13. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Hahahahahaha how I missed that video!!!! I told you it will work just great!!! ;) Thanks for the video hommie I really love everything you do, everything you touch it turns into gold!!!
    You shall open a store for gold plating!! :p Got ya again!! And hey.... challenge accepted!! :)

14. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Those rads look so cute I just want a couple. I have absolutely need for even one of them, but damn do I want one :D

15. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

KidMod-Southpaw <- Playing the Beatles? I may be old, but not THAT old! :lol:

Wicked-Sludge <- yeah, amazing right? :)

Shael <- Ty very much! :) I bought it at Aquatuning.de (who did not have enough money to sponsor it for me! :lol: )

Jhanlon303 <- Oh... In that case I should have made room for one in my Wii! :lol:

LooZypher <- Thanks man! That means a lot from a fellow Dane!

AnG3L <- I told you to watch what you wish for! :lol: About the challenge, can't wait to see it! :thumb:

Jipa <- Yeah, they are like Crack! (or so I've heard) :lol:

16. bruce_rob

bruce_rob What's a Dremel?

wicked build mate

17. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

bruce_rob <- Thx m8! :thumb:

Now for the update!

Seems like I built my mind up for this to be kind of a revelation... Fells like an anticlimaks though! :) It's really not that big, I'm just using glass instead of plexi for the top of the block. :)

But this is also the reason why there was no way to get the inlet/outlet in the top. Now that's out of the way let's get to the damn pics! :lol:

First up, a quick rince in the ultrasound bath:

[​IMG]

Nice and clean and with the O-ring on:

[​IMG]

The top part with room for the glass, bottom view:

[​IMG]

Top view:

[​IMG]

Pure clean scratchfree glass! It was a pain to cut it into shape, and the edges are NOT nice... Which is why there is no pic of it out of the frame! :lol:
    But cleaning it is just a breeze! :thumb:

[​IMG]

Block and top:

[​IMG]

Assembled:

[​IMG]

And just a shot of it with a fitty/fitty mix of water and engine coolant. This should hold down to apprx. -25 degrees centigrade. Which is quite enough for Denmark in winter!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah I know... You hate the screws! I'm going to try to get my hands on some with a hex top...

Notice the glove? I'm NOT getting my dirty fingerprints on this block! :)

Hope to be back within the week with a bit more updates! :)

Also I wish to thank all you guys for the nice words so far in the build! You :rock: !

Last edited: 18 Sep 2011
  18. Technobod

Technobod Minimodder

Beat me too it, some nice allen screws would make that look even more amazing.
    Also +1 awesomeness for the originality of not making a square top barb block :thumb:

19. Karrek

Karrek Minimodder

Simply beautiful. I hope that it will have a prominent and visible place, for all to enjoy for years to come. It would be a shame to cover up that work of art...

Fantastic job!

20. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

That's really slick! It's a good idea too. I had an ice scraper melt and curl into a ball in my van under the Houston sun.
    ...I doubt you get those kind of problems, but you might travel to where it can happen.

Keep the screws. Using the same screws every time for every project is like sleeving wires individually.:p