1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Dear EA, take a running jump!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Gunsmith, 15 Jun 2011.

1. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

What drugs have you taken recently? :eyebrow:

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Ecstasy?

Certainly not downers!

Which of the above do you dislike?

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

No more patching?

Parge the issue with that is that most patches are humungous (something I can deal with seeing the complexity of the games), most games are patched repeatedly and each patch averages around 2-400MB. While that might be fine for us who have 1+Mb/s of internet, there are quite a few who still do not have that capability yet.

4. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

Wow, this'll annoy people more than the DLC issue. Now this annoys me, I'd like the game on steam, why would I want steam AND origin?

Ah well, Activision could be very coy here. Give the community what it wants with MW3 and they could trample BF3.....

5. Parge

Yes, but patches have been around forever, its just that through Steam I barely have to lift a finger for it to happen. Yes, patch sizes are now larger, but don't forget a 10mb patch on a 56k modem takes as long to download as a 200mb patch on a 1mb connection.

All I'm saying is that there are loads and loads of advantages that we have nowadays over how it used to be and I'm thankful for all of them. :rock:

6. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

I'm an early adopter by nature, I LIKE digital downloads over and above getting a disk its easier to manage and leads to me having less clutter, I've more than 340 games on steam, and I also have Impulse, D2D and GOG accounts and games on each.

And I have in the past brought games from EA Downloader, I'm an ardent PC gamer who had every intention to pre-purchase BF3 on steam once the pre-order was available.

Let me join the hordes in saying, FU EA. You are not fit to run such a service, my games on EA downloader disappeared, which is the number one problem, also we CANNOT have each publisher having their own platform that would be ridiculous.

The difference with Valve is they were a developer who created a publishing platform somewhat as a by-product of what they were doing and its become the number 1 content delivery service for a reason. If EA do it, Activition and Ubisoft will do it and every other damn company will want a process running on your computer, you'll have another 10 logins to remember and argh, I cannot even begin to list the amount of failure in this "future".

By all means launch Origins, by all means compete on price, but stay on steam FFS, I'd pay £5-10 for the CONVENIENCE of having it in my steam list.

7. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Depends on where you are, even in first-world countries of the west. A 30GB monthly download cap makes digital distribution not worth it a lot of the time. :p

You mention these as if they're good things. I very strongly disagree. I'll continue to rail against crappy-value DLC and cherish my hardcore, geeky games.

8. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Actually one interesting question just sprang to mind, there might be more to this.

EA and Valve have another relationship, basically all the boxed copies of Valve games are published by EA and Valve is an independent developer but EA tried really really hard to get the publishing rights for retail once Valve and Vivendi went their separate ways. I seem to remember competition between EA and Activision for Valves attentions.

I wonder if Valve are happy with this situation and if it might mean someone else gets to ship HL3 other than EA on consoles and PC retail boxes. (I realise this is massive speculation)

9. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

this, all my friends and most of my games are on steam, i get patches as soon as the comp gets turned on. its just a lot easier for most to have it on steam

10. Parge

Yes, download caps totally suck, but when I lived in Oz, I paid for the top tier 120GB cap because I knew I'd be using a lot of data. I saved a lot of money through buying things from Steam instead of the shops, which was nice.

Crappy value DLC? I assume you are mostly referring to COD here, and I'd agree, but I was more than happy to pay £7 for BFBC2 Vietnam. I was not happy in 1998 paying £15 for Total Annihilation: Battle Tactics which came with just 4 new units and 6 new maps!

11. IronDoc

IronDoc What's a Dremel?

I think you rather missed my point. What I'm saying is that you can't fairly compare 1 site versus the rest of the internet.
    Comparing steam's normal prices v amazon's normal prices is fair.
    Comparing steam's normal prices v play's normal prices is fair.

I'm not denying steam is more expensive, but if you're saying people do pay normal steam prices, then obviously people do value the convenience that much. And if they do, then obviously they'll be annoyed that it's been pulled off steam.

Don't take it as me biting your head off :)

12. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Surely that BF3 boycott because of the pre-order DLC needs to now be altered to a boycott all EA games?

13. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Couldn't be bothered to read all three pages so someone may have already said this but:

You're paying for the convenience of Steam as a service. There are plenty of things to complain about with Steam, but overall it works extremely well. I reinstalled Windows last week and just ran Steam from where it was installed on the HDD previously - it immediately loaded all the necessaries into the new Windows registry and opened to reveal all my games, already installed.

As for EA, yes, they are a bunch of ########. You can choose your own word to go in there, if you like. They're currently in my bad books for not offering the Shift 2: Unleashed DLC packs to PC gamers for ABSOLUTELY NO REASON. They just don't like us, or something like that. The devs have even said "it's ready, but EA won't let us sell it to you".

14. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

So have it your goddamn Steam list. Bad Company 2 is in mine and I used EADM to get that... add the damn thing to your list yourself.

Jesus, we're getting a f*cking brilliant game and all PC gamers want to do these days is bitch and white about a goddamn program they're going to need to download it.

If a company has a dispute with another I wouldn't expect them to continue using the same unit as disputed... unless it was AOL, or something equally as friggin' insane. So if EA and Valve have had a tantrum let them be. I'm pretty sure the 98.5% of people who aren't outraged at all this will go exactly as I did...

"What? oh! You're complaining again... shut up, get in the kitchen and make me a sammich... I've got a Chally 2 to drive!"

15. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

I'm not sure if you're being deliberately obtuse and avoiding my point.

But yet I agree PC gamers are whining too much of late I tend to try to not be one, my issue with the Origins solution is that previously i've brought games from EA's downloader, only for MONTHS after for them to disappear and EA to say FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU when I ask why and "please sir can I play my game".

So no I won't be using a EA download service again, Steam has been absolutely perfect for me since release, I know others have had issues, but I consider my games in Steam more secure than my games on my shelf by now. I'm less likely to lose them for one.

That said I have no issue pre-ordering on D2D, that is what I would do in this current situation. I was hoping to get it on steam however. I REFUSE to buy direct from EA again, because A - they remove games from your account for no apparent reason (that has been my experience.) and B - I think it sets a dangerous prescient (other publishers may follow). Sorry if you disagree but at least I'm stating my reasons and experience rather than blindly raging.

When I say in my steam list for convenience I mean I back up my steam games to my NAS, I mean I download them whenever I feel like pressing 3 key presses, I mean I can restore them really easily, and I feel my games are safe in Valves hands.

Also theres like 2 none windows processes my PC has on bootup, Eset and Steam. Nothing else. And I like it that way, and I'm happy to pay over the odds for the convenience and added value that steam provides. I'd not care at all if EA offered BF3 on Origins for £29.99 and Steam for £35.00 for example, I'm saying give me the choice to pay more for that convenience I crave and value. Is that so wrong of me?

BRAWL likes this.
  16. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Apologies chap, I'm just tired of the "BF3's SOLDOUT LOLOMG!!!11" ******** that's flying around the internet because some 'gamers' have got their thong in a twist and sliced their mancicle into a mangina.

Honestly I've never had an issue with it. I.e. my BC2 install is all nice and safe there and all is well with the world. So naturally I have a very different view on this. Steam and EADM I have never had an issue with to be fair. Hell I'll order online on the ZiiP store and my friend can e-mail me my activation code, 3 days later I get my disc through the post and it goes onto my "Storage" shelf. Thats my way of working...

Yes I agree. Valve are fantastic with Steam... unless you use Paypal at which point "fail" and "lulz" come to mind. The thing is... a few extra clicks of a mouse to play a game that's going to basically rip open the space time continium isn't worth a "FUEA!" (Fu- EA) towards them... they want to set their own Download service up... hell on their software and for their games. Let them, it isn't illegal and I bet that 90% of the Download only gamers are going to use it to be honest because it's just bloody easier. Hell I actually found EADM easier to use than Steam!

Value wasn't my issue, people throwing tantrums about BF3 are my issue. I.e. the guy at working getting a "Really? Shut the fuc+ up" statement from me about it. *shrugs*

17. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

There goes any hope of Battlefield 2142 coming to Steam :(

18. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I've just received a text from a friend saying that he's read it was Steam's decision to remove Crysis 2, though this is according to EA.

Can someone verify this?

19. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

http://www.1up.com/news/crysis-2-pulled-from-steam-ea-says-valve-to-blame

Is something I just found.

Sounds fishy to me though, other publishers (Ubisoft, CDP) manage to have their games in their own stores and on steam and other places, so I wonder what this term is that effects Alice and Crysis 2 but not older EA titles.

20. IronDoc

IronDoc What's a Dremel?

"And we think that EA has unique strengths there related to what we can do with our content, because we're a content creator as well as a retailer in this business,"
    lolwut
    Yeah unique apart from the current market leader :rolleyes: