1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp MNPCTech Design Contest Volume 6 - Modify a Cooler Master HAF 932

Discussion in 'Modding' started by confusis, 16 May 2011.

1. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Thanks mate ! I do not know if it would have done better than my Monolith, it is more specialized and would have cost both lung and kidney with all that copper :lol:.

I'm glad that you like this design :D

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I really like that design, Guille!:clap: +1 on black and copper.
    I'm not sure I'd have a setup that requires draining to access, though. [ramble]What about running the intakes out to the bottom/back of the case, and have rotary fittings mounted inside hollow bearings. The bearings would be attached to an arm that supported the weight of the rad. That setup would allow you to flip the rad back behind the case for access.
    -annnd ruin the whole look you were going for.:lol:
    Ignore that. The same thing can be done with your rails and a bit of extra hose.[/ramble]
    @Loose - What an ugly avatar!:lol:

3. GuilleAcoustic

I'm not fixed yet about the opening mecanism. I'll try to design something that do not require drainig the sytem.

Hope I'll have enough time. I also have an LARP to prepare (skaven mage dress up)

4. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

GuilleAcoustic <- Just out of curiosity... How many square miles of copper is needed to make that? :lol:

Except for the cost of the materials for this, I truly madly deeply love it! :)

5. GuilleAcoustic

Thanks mate ! Cost in one hand (copper + fine wood), weight in another hand :lol:.

Since it's only for design and not for production .... I didn't restrained myself :blush:. Maybe I should use pure silver or pure gold and ebony wood :naughty:.

6. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

@cheeps - I'm not a morning person :D ! @ Guillie psst... render render render. And perhaps some mother of pearl inlay while your at it!

7. GuilleAcoustic

OH YES !!! Pearl ..... and petrol as coolant with Platinium screws and a Kyptonit PSU :lol:

EDIT : Little update

- New rad position
    - HDD / external rad connection access

The Rad will be mounted on rails and will include a mobile part (thanks to a rotary joint) that will take place inside the case (next to the HDD) while the rad attached to the case. The HDD access door will then totally hide eveything. The rad will be connected to the loop via no-spill quick disconnect to allow easy and quick rad removing (to access the harware) without draining everything. The rad "holder" still has to be modeled :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't worry, the "backside" will have a nice opening to allow cable routing and connector access while the rad is in place.

[​IMG]

Here a pic without the external big-boy rad

[​IMG]

Last edited: 15 Jun 2011
  8. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Guille, love how you implemented the Copper fins, that would be such a cool case to own :thumb:

9. eeced

eeced My finger is in the fan

You should seriously stop making these case-designs, if you continue like this I will drop to place 100... out of 50. (or something like that). ;)

10. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There. I didn't model a board in it cause I couldn't eyeball it to line it up. I go tomorrow to the eye doctor to schedule my IOL surgery. Blind in one eye doesn't help you do sketchup, if you were wondering, but I think I did OK. Would rather I had the eye, but it didn't really even slow me down.

Now, if I got proportions off, well... We'll say it was intentionally asymmetric.

BTW-if you can't figure it out, self-contained waterfall cooling, and the top res is a fishtank, complete with filter.

11. GuilleAcoustic

Thanks, I'd love to own it too ... but my kidney are not for sell :lol:. But that gave me idea to mod my P182. I think I'll start by modding my current case before scratch building one (monolith not so monolith anymore)

Thanks mate, glad you like it :D. But don't be so hard, I like your design a lot. Reminds me of those airplanes :thumb:

[​IMG]

EDIT : I did work a little during my lunch break to find a way to run cables through the radiator. Here's my first attempt, feel free to tell me what you think about it :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 16 Jun 2011
  12. Cheapskate

@Kayin - COOL.:thumb: I can't tell anything's crooked with two eyes. It looks very much like a StarWars prop. I'd like to see the rear hinge/door vent fleshed out. I like where you were going with that area.

@Guille - I think the design worked better with the radiator centered. It had a floating magnet look going.

13. j0rd

j0rd FLOSS folder

@Guille - Simple but highly effective. Does exactly what it needs to and then gets out the way. Subtle and well integrated :)

On another note your going to need a small fork-lift to move all that copper :D

14. GuilleAcoustic

I'll try to make it float again then to compare with this one :D

Thanks. I have to work on the rad holding and quick disconnect system. Maybe some tank chain will help to move the case :lol:

15. Cheapskate

*POKE*Wake up!

16. skullen

skullen Minimodder

Theres some cool ideas going on here :thumb:

17. GuilleAcoustic

I was thinking that it was strangely quiet. No more freak cases to show cheap ?

I'm working on the rad quick connection, and it is damn killin' my brain :lol:

the hdd hot swap is finished, as well as the top exchanger.

Your hafenstein will probably lead to an halloween case mod contest, I hope so :thumb:

18. GuilleAcoustic

A little update to show the new modifications.

Here is the hot swap HDD bay. It can hold up to 6x 3.5" HDDs. They are mounted on rails and secured lock to the chassis. Just pull the lock down to unlock an HDD and remove it from the case. They all have their own activity LED.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I worked a little on the top rad / exchanger. It now has 2x 120 exhaust fans (they help to cool down the copper too).

The back part of this copper block will be used to connect the "U-shaped" rad and will be used as a passive res.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Jun 2011
  19. Shael

Shael What's a Dremel?

I just love the hot swapable hdd caddys Guille:thumb: ive been looking at a similar idea for the scratch build im designing, your design has gioven me some :idea: s PS. Do you have a circuit / board product in mind for the ahrd drive activity leds? as its something i want to impliment in my desing too;)

20. Shael

Shael What's a Dremel?

Swy double post :sigh:

Last edited: 21 Jun 2011