1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Games Workshop

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by [ZiiP] NaloaC, 17 Jan 2011.

1. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Welcome to the 'Do we really want to know what kind of favours Lira is giving to his local GW to be getting so much stuff all the time?' thread :D

2. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

There's alot of Gargling... lot of choking... lots of strange objects inserted into orrafices.

Clearly they're going amsec whiskey drinking...

3. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

WIP shots of the Beastlord

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Consider my hobby spending akin to the American Military budget - It long ago ran away, and all hope of regaining control has gone with it.

Speaking of, I just bought some Forge World Black Templar bits and pieces, also a Commander Cullin (Red Scorpions) model just in case I can't work my magic with a non GW piece to make it look ~50% GW >.>

I also sourced some Knigts Templar shields (As in, for the crusaders) that I plan to jazz up my BT command squad with - Their regular storm shields look very un-templar like. Going to be re-doing their shoulder pads, too, to better suit the new Marshall.

I'd show you what I'm planning, but that'd ruin the surprise!

As for "how I get so much stuff", I buy it! :p

I also trade work/bits for models with certain people.

Although the next few months might see me doing an extravagant display board for my Dark Eldar for Armies on Parade (Regional Manager talked me into trying my hand at it).

Edit: Looks nice dude! Do you get to spend much time painting, or is it shoehorned between other things?

I ask, because I want to see it finished :p

Last edited: 14 Jun 2011
  5. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

@Lira: Thats probably the first time I'd picked up a paintbrush in over 5 years? I think I've still got it lol. Looking at doing about 1000pt Beastmen army, maybe a bit more.

Got about a 750 pt Eldar army, and about the same of Space Wolves and now I am just so tempted by the new dark eldar! I love the big floaty widget they've got. So very tempted. Going to have a word with my supplier to see if he can't sort me a deal - oh, and yes! DarkSphere.com - 25% off standard GW prices - saved me sooooo much cash!

6. liratheal

The new DE stuff is glorious - I loved painting my Talos Pain Engine. Very tempted to do a Chronos Parasite Engine too.

Yeah, it's looking like you've not forgotten how to wield a brush!

7. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

Thank you very much for saying so, payday will involve some GW miniatures, just not sure for which army! Very tempted by the Dark Eldar but not sure what to get.... got the old Urien Rackarth model, but tempted by the Raider and a box of Warriors... :)

8. liratheal

Raiders are fun - If a little stabby - to build. Kabalite warriors are a good giggle to paint, too, very much enjoyed painting mine so far. I'd certainly recommend following the instructions, though, as the arms genuinely aren't interchangeable. Lesson learned, though!

[​IMG]

Still looking down the wrong end of a lot of work!

However, they must look their best for the 10k Black Templars (7k) Imperial Guard (3k) vs. 10k of Orks game.

Last edited: 14 Jun 2011
  9. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Is anyone here savvy on the SM, IG, WH and DH ally and induction rules?

I've been building my Imperial Guard army up but recently felt the bug to make a second army. Since my favorite army of all is Witch Hunters I decided on them and bought a few discounted pewter models at the local shop. While looking into their rules and what I wanted my army to be like, however, I stumbled into the world of allies.

Searching the IG codex and main rulebook hasn't brought me much luck, perhaps I'm just blind. Google, however, brought up a great post from 2006 which made everything very clear. With IG as a main army I CANNOT have Space Marines, but can choose EITHER Daemon Hunters or Witch Hunters as an ally. As an allied army I may take 0-1 HQ, 0-2 Troops, 0-1 Elites, 0-1 Fast Attack and 0 Heavy Support, following any WH rules and conventions for unit specific requirements and, of course, still using ONE Force Organizational Chart for all units, aka not being able to take two IG HQs and a WH HQ. This would be one army, not taking two armies that add up to the point total of my enemy.

What wasn't totally clear is what someone here can possibly explain before I dig deeper:
    -Can I still do this?
    -Where are these rules in official GW text in case anyone questions it?
    -Are they tournament legal? Obviously checking my local shop next time I'm there but would like to know if it normally is should they say no.
    -Do Faith points and Acts of Faith work the same way, provided the acts are only used on applicable WH units?
    -If I took Witch Hunter main, could I take Imperial Guard INDUCTED units AND Daemon Hunter ALLIES? The post made it clear that IG and Space Marines are never allowed in the same army, but seemed to allow this with DH.

10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

How very odd! You'd think it'd be different, considering that they're supposed to be on the same side after all.

Certainly different from the 2nd edition rules, that's for sure. Maybe they don't want a marine army supported by Baneblades, or Terminators popping out of one.

11. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

@lira - learnt that with my Dire Avengers... oh dear me.... lotta green stuff needed there!

but yes i need to do a quick budget but i'm gonna start with (hopefully) a raider and a box of warriors - i have a box of Wyches, and a few of the old "butch" metal ones, so they could be the sergeant of the squad almost.

::EDIT::

Just a quicky, can anyone recommend any sort-of "must-haves for the DEldar? Scourges are high up on my list, but they seem to be quite fragile on the battlefield.

So yes, any must-haves for Deldar plz, kthxubaiiii

12. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Some posts were mentioning it being a fluff reason. Their reasoning was that following the Horus Heresy Space Marines and Imperial Guard wouldn't be allowed to work together, similar to why the Guard and Navy were divided.

Balance might have something to do with it but I don't think so. Sisters of Battle and Grey Knights are already similar to Space Marines in stats and units yet both of them are allowed as allies. Being more specialized and zealous they wouldn't be as much of a risk when it comes to heresy, particularly Witch Hunters as all would have to turn to Chaos at the same time else they'd be destroyed by the remaining faithful.

13. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

I would suggest having a read through the Grey Knights Codex as that is where the inquistion has ended up, sisters of battle are due to get a codex in WD if the rumour's are true.
    The text from 06 is going to be a bit out of date proably by now, best to check the GW website, ask in local store or even phone up GW and ask them, should be able to help.

Have seen pics of the new 'storm of magic' expansion for warhammer which looks good.

14. liratheal

Pain tokens!

If you're going for combat, pain tokens Cheesecake.

From what I've seen of DE, you need to focus your attacks on single units at a time even more so than usual. They are, though, made of paper. Even my armless (Literally armless, dark lances ruined the power fist and las cannons) took down a squad of wyches.

It's cheap-as, though, to take a boat load of troops and transports for them, all while leaving space for some decent heavy units. Try and focus on either combat or shooty, though, as I've only seen them do well when they can focus on one or the other, taking special characters to support the particular style you go for.

15. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

/me is soooo tempted by the Razorwing Jetfighter!!!! But payday will involve me getting a squad of warriors, a raider, and maaaaybe a Talos Pain engine, dependent on how much money I have left over. I will also need some paints, so I'm not entirely sure if I will be able to buy a pain engine....

@Lira - do you mind if i borrow/adapt your colour scheme? Its truly awesome, and I want to give it a try

16. liratheal

Go for it man, I just wanted to paint something purple :p

17. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

lol, and you have as a result made something quite awesome! Further WIP's of the Beastlord incoming!

18. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I seem to have figured it out with a little more searching. Allies were explained in the paper version of the Witch Hunters codex and in the old Daemon Hunters codex. However, the release of the Grey Knights codex dropped allies and the .pdf version of the Witch Hunters codex on GW's website has also dropped the WH ally rules. Rumor is this was done to prepare for the new version of the codex which will permanently mark the end of allies.

tl;dr, Witch Hunters can legally take allies if you own a paper copy of the codex, but don't count on it lasting. It'll also interesting to see if the new codex is titled Witch Hunters or Sisters of Battle as per Daemon Hunters to Grey Knights.

19. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

That's unfortunate. I remember the days of the 2nd edition where allies were considered heavy support - so my Dark Angel or Eldar army had a Leman Russ in support :D .

Speaking of Dark Angels , got to miss the days of the 2D6 rule for terminator armour; unfair perhaps but funny to see them wondering around ignoring pretty much anything bar a vortex grenade or some other special attack.

Still, not as though I play any more anyway!

20. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Imperial Guard cannot take allies in tournaments.

Sisters of Battle will get a White Dwarf codex in 2 issues time, Canada got their WD early so all the content has leaked, which is the above and the storm of Magic stuff

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/150/360231.page

Necrons are the next 40k Army proably august/sep and Ogres are next for Fantasy as neither have had any finecast models yet.