1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using -pause

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by BonaSwirl, 13 Jun 2011.

1. BonaSwirl

BonaSwirl Doesn't pay the electricity bill

Hi

So I'm unable to run my folding client 24/7 and have to turn it off whilst sleeping. Now that I'm receiving bonus points I obviously don't want to waste points by doing 1% of a unit in an evening then starting in the morning to finish it off. What I'm really asking is if there is a way to add the -pause tag to the console client without stopping it?

I know it's possible to stop the client then restart it with the flag enabled but is there a way of adding the flag without stopping it and losing those valuable points!

Thanks

2. Dave_Goodchild

Dave_Goodchild Another CPC refugee

Sorry if I've miss understood your question, but the bonus points are awarded based on how quickly your return a work unit, pausing the client won't make any difference, you will loose points the same as if you had shut the client down instead.

3. BonaSwirl

Sorry, maybe I didn't word that too well. When adding the -pause flag the client will pause after completing and sending the work unit. So once I've completed the work unit I can turn my computer off and wait until the morning to download the next, therefore not wasting the time over night with my computer off just losing me points. I just wondered if it was possible to add the flag without closing and reopening the client. Thanks though!

4. PlasmaBomb

PlasmaBomb CPC Refugee

You can run the client with the -oneunit flag (or at least you could). It will then complete one unit and shut the console down. You can then request another unit by restarting (though obviously don't do it if it's near bed time).

You can add the flag using the -config, and it remains (or you can create a shortcut).

Hope that helps...

Speaking of bedtime - night :)

5. BonaSwirl

I really didn't describe myself very well in the first post. Maybe I should post a little before bedtime in future to improve coherency!

What I really mean - hopefully explained better this time:

At night when I'm reaching the end of a work unit I want to be able to add the -pause flag to the client (-pause does the same as -oneunit but it just doesn't close the client, either would be useful in my case). By adding the -pause or -oneunit flag I would be able to restart in the morning with a fresh unit without adding to my completion time while not working over night, essentially bagging me more points.

The question is, can I add a flag to the client (I'm running the SMP2 console client in Windows) without having to close and reopen it. The client will complete 2 maybe 3 work units in a day and it's left unaccompanied so it wouldn't be feasible to leave the -oneunit or -pause flags on constantly. But to add the flags you would usually have to close the clients and reopen with the flags applied - it's only a 2 minute process at most but I still feel like I'm wasting points!

Hopefully I've explained things a little more clearly second time around! Thanks for the help guys!

6. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

I think not. If you want to apply -oneunit to a currently running client you will need to stop it, run -configonly make the changes and then restart it. If you have a desktop shortcut, stop the client, add the -oneunit flag and restart. At most this will take about 1 min and will have a minor effect on your points total.

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

use the v7 client, you can tell it to finish [and then pause] the current unit without having to stop/start the client.

8. BonaSwirl

Okay, thanks One_box.

I was just being a little pedantic really! Thank you for all the replies guys :)

Oooo, simultaneous posting... In all honesty I hadn' realised you could get hold of v7 yet. Is it a worthy upgrade? It's not going to be any slower is it? I mean I should expect that as it's newer that it'll be more optimised but I thought I'd ask the question just in case! Thanks.

Last edited: 16 Jun 2011
  9. RedFlames

v7 is still in [open] beta, so a couple of things are a bit flaky [such as ppd calculations], i can't see it being any slower [or faster] than v6, the client may have changed but the cores [the bit that does the work] are still the same.

the beta client is available from here, guide to adding flags [they've changed in v7] is here

also HFM, FahMon etc. dont work with the v7 client [yet]

10. BonaSwirl

I managed to find the v7 beta but I did get confused when it came to setting it up adding flags! So that link will be very useful. I'll let my other clients finish folding their units then make the switch across.

Cheers for all the help! People here are so friendly, I would've taken me twice as long without you guys, if I managed to sort any of this out at all. :D

11. Avlan

Avlan What's a Dremel?

Just a note.
    Sent you the v7 client guide for setting up flags a couple of days ago in your GPU WU size thread

As for the speed of the v7 client (i know you are going to be running the smp client but...) my GPU's TPF actually dropped by one second after switching to the v7 client. Haven't tested the smp client out in it though as it froze when I tried to use it for the GPU and smp at the same time. Works fine doing it separately though :)

Good Luck!

12. Leroyingo

Leroyingo What's a Dremel?

The V7 has a 'finish' button which finishes the current unit then stops, which should be useful for what you are doing. You only need to play with the flags if you are adding a bigadv, it should auto config most of it.

13. BonaSwirl

Yes, I was a little confused when you mentioned it in the other thread as I didn't entirely know of its existence as it wasn't on the stanford downloads page. Thank you though.

One issue with the v7 client is that you have to set the the CPU to either smp 6 or smp 8, theres no way of using smp 7. As I'm folding on my graphics card as well folding with smp 8 is about 10-15 seconds per frame slower and folding with smp 6 is about 10 seconds slower per frame than with the older client. I have now manually inputted smp 7 but am waiting to see if this gives the same TPF as the old client.

Thanks leroyingo, I am now using the v7 client, well trying it out at least. If it doesn't return the same kind of PPD as the old clients I may switch back though. I'll see how it goes. Cheers for the advice guys.

14. PlasmaBomb

PlasmaBomb CPC Refugee

I might just have to have a play around with the v7 client...

15. RedFlames

its still a little rough round the edges [installing a service is flaky, ppd calc doesn't work for all units], and while you can monitor other v7 clients remotely i wouldn't recommend it for those with folding farms, but its worth it if you're only folding on one or two PCs imo