1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Multi Hex (Jobs done, ready to work)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Archer, 11 Jun 2011.

1. Archer

Archer Talga Vassternich - Deserve Victory

Ahoy BT! Mostly long time lurker here, and I'll be trying to get something built from the ground up!

As much as I tried finding that "perfect" case, it just doesnt exist. So whats a man to do after that? Well its either mod, or build. And build simply sounded like a lot more fun :D So where to begin? Well, my actual DIY skills are quite meager, so I needed to get as much of the design done up front as possible. I also own a grand total of one hand drill, so the challenge for me was to try and make this case as easy as possible to construct. I thought I had gotten that right, but as always, I've already learned about roughly 5267 things that could've been done differently :duh: Live and learn though, so hopefully the next build (yes, I am already addicted to modding :dremel:) will go much smoother.

Anyway, fast forward through 3 months of design and I was finally ready to get stuck in. Here is what I got back from laser cutting... You'll notice the last two panels are much darker than the rest. They are mild steel since I needed something ferrous for my dust filters.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Onto the unveiling of my cunning plan! To build up a framework, and then bolt all the panels onto it! Easy right? ;) Well I can tell you one thing right now, before I start the next project, I need to seriously consider getting a drill press! Trying to drill perpendicular to a surface is no easy task with a simple hand drill :sigh: So here is what I started out with, lots of 12mm square alu bar. The countersinking had to be done with a normal drill bit, but the final result is quite alright methinks :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That last piece then has to go into this one.
    [​IMG]

Add in a few more tapped holes on the sides, a couple of bolts, a few more square bars and a side panel...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Managed to get everything flush just the way I intended. I distinctly remember a beeeeg sigh of relief once I had gotten that done :D

Thats all the time I have right now, but I will have more updates soon. :) Let me know what you think so far. I'm quite nervous due to the amazing quality and creativity of all the other builds on here :blush:

Last edited: 27 Apr 2012
  2. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

BLUEHORSESTUDIOS I haven't lost a finger yet!

Looks exciting, and great start!!

3. Gentleman_Dingo

Gentleman_Dingo What's a Dremel?

Great start indeed! I really like the look of the hexes/honey combs. Any idea on a color scheme yet?

4. Archer

Colour scheme is likely to be green and black. Toying with black and orange as well. Blue and black a distant third.

And now for some long overdue updates! I actually did all this work last weekend already!... So last time I left you guys with basically only one side panel (almost) done. Although I tried to make this as easy to assemle as possible it was taking far longer than I expected. I will definately by trying to incorporate some bends into my future builds so that a framework is not required. Just need to get some practice in before then :p

Onto business, here is one panel done along with its framework. I think everything lined up pretty well considering I only used hand tools

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can see I've hand to sand some parts quite a bit, the laser cutters didnt exactly treat these parts with care. I'm hoping that non glossy powder coat finish will help cover this up. Now repeat the process on the other side panel and voila!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And no, I didnt use MSpaint to circle something, that really is a piece of random string in the top left :p But while doing this panel I managed to break my bit, sigh :wallbash: It was "lots of fun" drilling that out (it got stuck in the square bar)

[​IMG]

Having done the two sides I started on getting the bottom and front panels in. This went waaay quicker since I had bought myself some nice ratchet clamps..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A few more threads tapped and one side is done

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I decided to quickly try out my idea for feet. It basically some more sqaure bar, with a countersunk screw through it. When all is done I'll stick some squishy rubber stuff on (no idea what its really called, haha). This should elevate side panels 2mm off the floor meaning that the panels will not support the weight of the case, but instead the frameword will as intended. In the last pic you can see it sticks past the edge of the panel but that will be fixed when I do the proper feet

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Add one more side panel into the mix and this is what you are left with. Its a bit wonky, but after the front panel is on that should be fixed (some photos from here on may be crummy :( my cameras battery had decided to die)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now for the front panels! Bring in the clamps! The panel is a bit warped because I did not yet countersink the holes, or even use all the screws I was meant to. I just wanted to see if it would look as good as I hoped it would :D I think I succeeded...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now for the drive bays. Will they fit?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Answer... yes! There really is no gap between the drive and the panel. Phew!

[​IMG]

So more of the same for the front and top panels. Clamp it down, mark the holes, drill em out, thread em, and test fit

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had wanted to get the motherboard tray in as well, but time was running short. So its only in with a couple of screws

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats all for now! Enjoy :)

Shael and MilOk like this.
  5. patrick171

patrick171 What's a Dremel?

awesome :jawdrop: :clap:

6. rayson

rayson Damn sure it was legal

looks quite good
    you were saying that the laser cutter didn't treat the parts with care i don't see how

7. MilOk

MilOk What's a Dremel?

nice one ! i like a lot ! =D

8. Stem83

Stem83 Addicted to modding.

I love the hex shaped patterns going on. This is going to look superb once finished.
    will be glued to this one for sure

9. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

This is off to a good start, I like the design..Nice work.:thumb:

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Nice Archer nice & yep totally relate to wanting the perfect case :D & the best way is to scratch build, it's a fun challenge too, this design has nice looks & excellent ventilation so I'm keen to follow this :thumb:.

11. Shael

Shael What's a Dremel?

I dont know how i missed this one b4:duh:

Love the work and the design so far cant wait to see some more soon - subbed and some rep 4 u ;)

12. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

just tried to add rep for the amount of work in those panels ...sadly it wouldnt let me ..
    I O U - 1 rep ..

13. Archer

Many thanks guys! I'll do my best to keep it up

Not the actual laser, but likely the staff. Had a couple of deep scratches that had to be sanded out. Luckily all of them are on the opposite side of what will show, so even though I have sanded them out, if anything is left it shouldnt be noticable

Haha, maybe next time :p

14. lucasrubini

lucasrubini What's a Dremel?

WTF is wrong with you? Don't you feel bad for people like me who lack the ideas and skills that you have? :)

Awesome job, keep it up!

15. Archer

I'm back!

It doesnt feel by looking at the pictures like I've done a lot, but I have! I've also been taking it slow since I'm heading overseas for business so I have been spending some time with family and friends.

Well on to the good stuff. I finished up the rest of the mounting holes for the mobo tray, so thats done and dusted. I also got it spaced correctly so that I still have room for wiring to route behind the tray. I basically cut up some rubber strips 6mm thick, drilled holes for the screws that fasten on the mobo tray to pass through and voila. Alas, no photos, silly me :duh:

Here I am getting the rear IO shield in place. I bought this piece as I wasn't confident I'd get it right making it myself.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A little bit of drilling, and a little bit of tapping later (that almost sounds like it should be a song :p). You can also see some PCI slot covers, these are to help see if everything lines up. Still deciding on what I'll eventually put here

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And with that done... I could assemble it all!! :D I had done numerous test fits throughout the project, but I was still nervous to see how everything would fit all at once and if the design would look as good in real life as it did in my models. You guys be the judge...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still have a lot of cleaning up to do but I was too excited for the test fit, haha. I got the perspex this last week as well, have a few surprises in store for you guys on that front ;)

As always, hope you enjoyed reading. Now I must go pack! Off to the USA for business and more importantly, to get me some water cooling gear :D:D

Reverse likes this.
  16. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Looking good!

17. Stem83

Stem83 Addicted to modding.

I dont know why but i feel like yellow and orange acylics are going to get used in this!

18. nagyizom

nagyizom Minimodder

Yes, I really like the hexa shapes too! I also planning my next case with hexa forms.
    Good luck and keep up the good work!

19. Shael

Shael What's a Dremel?

very nice work :thumb: looks like it fits beautifully together, cant wait to see what youre going to on the front panel :D

20. Gentleman_Dingo

Gentleman_Dingo What's a Dremel?

Beautiful. I can't wait to see the finished product! I keep getting Honeycomb cereal commercials stuck in my head whenever I look at this log.