1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Best New Smartphone?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SmilerAl, 24 Apr 2011.

1. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Brilliant choice.

Ive bought 2x different cases cheap from amazon and both of them are a little loose, so i still have not found the ideal one yet. But they keep the phone safe for now until i find a more suitable one.

I also put a screen protector on it from the moment it came out the box

2. SmilerAl

SmilerAl Terminate with extreme prejudice

I bought Invisible Armour, but that's just screen cover, but I might just leave it at that.

One thing I hate, Kies software to transfer media files is TERRIBLE.

If any one complains about iTunes again, I might hit them with a brick, Kies doesn't even work half the time.

3. bdigital

hmm. I just plug it in, and drag and drop it. Much easier than iTunes!!! Never tried Kies, dont need too.

I would advise getting a case as the camera on the back of the phone is raised from the phone itself, and is subject to getting scratched. With a case, this part of the phone is nicely tucked away and allows you to rest the phone down with worrying.

SmilerAl likes this.
  4. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

You dont NEED to use that software at all. I've never bothered and just drag and drop in windows to transfer files. You do however, HAVE to use iTunes for an iPhone. So its not really a comparison.

SmilerAl likes this.
  5. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

why get a really nice bit of kit and cover it up with a cheap case ?? makes no sense. i have never had a cover on my iphone4 and its fine. i just never keep it in the same pocket as my keys or coins.

same thing what steve jobs said about the ipad 2. they spend millions on design and people cover it up with cheap crappy covers.

I am deffo not an apple fanboy. I really want the samsung galaxy s2. mainly so it goes with my newly aquired samsung smart tv. DNLA-WISE

6. SmilerAl

Oh really? I just assumed you needed the software for it, thanks for letting me that VITAL piece of info.

donok likes this.
  7. donok

+1...............................................million

8. The Monk

The Monk Minimodder

This ^

Had my HTC Desire about 9 months now and not a scratch on it and I don't use a case for it. A friend who has had his Desire for less time than me and uses a case has a few scratches. In general if you are the sort of person who looks after tech then you don't need a case IMHO. It also really annoys me when people get the cheapest and tackiest looking case for there £400+ mobile phones :wallbash: I even know someone who bought a bright blue case because it was about £2 cheaper than a black one...

I am very jealous of the SGS2 as well btw, will be interesting to hear if its any good.

9. bdigital

It makes plenty sense to me. Not sure about others but the main reasons for me are....

- Because the camera lens is not flush from the phone case itself, and is more likely to get damaged/scratched. The case removes this problem.

- Because the SII is slim, and silppery! Its quite hard to grip properly and it is easy to drop. The case makes it easier to grip and use.

- Because the case offers protection if you drop the phone. (Already done once)

- Because it gives the phones condition some longevity. Something that i value for a 2 year contract phone.

10. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I've never touched the CD that came with mine, its still in its packaging. I dragged and dropped full seasons of Fraser, The Simpsons, and lots of films. You don't need to encode them either, everything seems to play fine.

11. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

My 2 cents for protecting the phone, get something like an invis shield from Zagg
    http://www.zagg.com/
    They are hard to install but have a replacement warranty that is hassle free. It will protect the screen. I have had one on my phone for 1.5 years now, it has some scratches but the phone is still in great shape because of it.
    I also suggest a case, cheap or expensive doesn't matter but one that will protect it from keys and other sharp things if you have it in your pocket.
    Even with a screen protector on the phone, if you lean up against something and your keys dig in, they can easily go through a screen protector or rip up the back etc.

Enjoy the phone. I am waiting for something with a keyboard like the touch pro 2 or the htc 7 pro for android.

12. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

Great choice with tge samsung. I have had one now for about a month and its great, especially the screen.

The only bad things I can say it that the battery isn't great, and the sound quality isn't great but then again the iphone isn't much better.

I got a really nice offcial case from phones 4 u. Its nice and small and looks good on the phone. Also get a SGP Steinheil Ultra Crystal Screen Protector. It teally is the best.the only problem is that as tge phone is so new, they are hard to find. I got mine from a korean site export prive with quick shipping for about £14 which is not bad as you get 2 in the pack. They also sell so.e nice cases too.

The best thing you can do is to check out XDA as they have a lot of info on there about the sg2. Its really handy as there is so much you can do with them!

13. slaw

Great choice with tge samsung. I have had one now for about a month and its great, especially the screen.

The only bad things I can say it that the battery isn't great, and the sound quality isn't great but then again the iphone isn't much better.

I got a really nice offcial case from phones 4 u. Its nice and small and looks good on the phone. Also get a SGP Steinheil Ultra Crystal Screen Protector. It teally is the best.the only problem is that as tge phone is so new, they are hard to find. I got mine from a korean site export prive with quick shipping for about £14 which is not bad as you get 2 in the pack. They also sell some nice cases too.
    The best thing you can do is to check out XDA as they have a lot of info on there about the sg2. Its really handy as there is so much you can do with them!

14. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

No true top of the range smartphone has a good battery life. As long as they keep advancing so quickly, battery life will always be playing catch up.

15. bdigital

Battery life is actually really good compared to other phones on the market.

16. donok

Logically I can see why I would never use a case as I pay for the tech and design in the phone.

But also I can see why you would want to wrap up the phone in fake cow skin. Protecting the condition is nonsense just use your head and you won't ruin it. Afew minor bits and bobs maybe but that's it.

Buy insurance then if anything breaks your covered. Then be careful and don't put it in a pocket with keys of coins and it will remain in decent condition.

17. SmilerAl

I went with Invisible Armour from Zag, I'm a rather protective person for my hardware, my iPhone never got a scratch on the screen in 18 months of use so I should be good again for the next 18.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, the phone is really good :D

18. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

Im in the same boat as you was and am eyeing up the phone you got.
    any problems so far? disappointed in anyway?

19. SmilerAl

Well I disliked the software to move media files onto it, but then I was told that I can just drag and drop and instantly solved my problems.

I love the fact it supports flash so I can watch videos from any site I chose, however sites that don't have a mobile version tend to not be too fun to navigate on as the high res forces you to zoom in to click on buttons but that's more the web sites fault than the phone itself.

One thing that has been a little disappointing is the typing for texts etc. I'm probably just used to the iPhones keyboard after owning that for 18 months but I dislike the keyboard a bit and it doesn't seem to have auto correct so when I press just one button wrong I end up with words looking like garbage and as an OCD for correct spelling and grammar it slows me down just because my thumbs by mistake knocked 'm' instead of 'n' for example.

20. slaw

Hey. You can download different keyboards. Try the gingerbread one or perfect keyboard. Bith are better than the stock one

SmilerAl likes this.