1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education What's Your IQ?

Discussion in 'General' started by KidMod-Southpaw, 15 Jun 2011.

1. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I find it absurd, that schools will teach students every subject imaginable, except how to support ourselves in retirement :eyebrow: Budgeting is simply taught as being able to pay the bills, entertainment, and spare a few bucks for an annual holiday or car upgrade :worried:

I've got a friend of a friend, who's just under thirty, and has retired a self made multimillionaire.
    He's no genius, he started working fulltime when he was about 14 iirc. All he had was a decent plan and a great work ethic/was desperate to get somewhere in life.

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

You'll find a lot of successful business people did not have what most people would call a successful academic life.

An idea, a plan and the guts to see it through is all you need for that, grades mean nothing.

3. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Well a great idea is all you need to become a billionaire... but there are many tried and proven techniques to become a measly multimillionaire.... it doesn't make any sense to me, why people would stay in school until they are in their early twenties, and be left with next to nothing every week, after paying for a few things like food, bills, uni debt and the rent... sure by the time most people are in their thirties they can afford to buy a house... but there are many kids who left school early, and have retired as millionaires by this age... and they were out enjoying life back when others were stressing over uni :confused:

It all just seems really wrong to me, sort of like in the MATRIX, but instead of being grown as batteries with vivid dreams to maximize brain activity, most people are being bred to conform, accept struggle, and fall in line with all the other worker bees... inflation is bad enough without everyone becoming millionaires :worried: [/conspiracy theory]

4. Durtey

Durtey What's a Dremel?

Candles are nice, rich on energy :)

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

"How smart am I!", the dumb man crows;
    while the wise man realises how little he knows.

--Dutch proverb

6. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

A helpful analogy is found in computers: IQ, at the best of times, just measures your CPU's 'clock speed'. It's only worth anything if you run a good OS and useful software, and a slower clock will can do all the same things - it'll just take slightly longer. So how I think of it is, you IQ just determines how fast you process mental tasks and problems; what makes you smart is that you turn what IQ you have onto the right tasks and problems.

People often confuse low IQ with stupidity or ignorance, but you can have a high IQ and be stupid and ignorant or have a low IQ and be wise and capable.

We've all met book-smart people who are totally ignorant and unthinking, at least I have.

7. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Most book smart people i know are brilliant at passing exams, but I wouldn't trust them to cross the road safely.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  8. mecblade

mecblade 14 year old Technophile

Let's see.....May 2010? :)

9. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

September 2010?

10. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I like this quote. But.. I know how little in this world I understand or know, yet I wouldn't consider myself wise. Is it possible to be dumb and wise at the same time? lol

11. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

I would expect so... wisdom can't affect your entire personality surely?

We all do/say wise things, and then go do something irrational and nutty such as skydiving... or getting married or something equally as scary lol

12. Rotcrack

Rotcrack Food Maestro.

Wooo, I win the early registering under 16 award ;)

13. KidMod-Southpaw

Well done!
    You get nothing.

14. Rotcrack

Rotcrack Food Maestro.

Ahh, I'm used to getting nowt, living up North means surviving on raw beef and horseradish soup.

15. KidMod-Southpaw

That can be arranged.

16. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Both of you should be placed into the warhead of a 500mm round and fired at the sun from a Space Shuttle.

17. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

18. KidMod-Southpaw

Sounds fun.

19. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Hmm.. Is wisdom not the knowledge to act, without being a tard?

I can put myself next to many I have encountered and I am wise. But then again there is a super-f***-load of stuff I don't know, AND I still make stupid errors. Wisdom can't just be knowing that you, are in fact, an idiot. Or most of the world would be armpit deep in wisdom.

Yes I know, I have much to learn in the Jedi arts of Wisdom and Patience. And it would go much quicker IF YOU WOULD F***ING HELP ME!

;D

20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Unknown.

And I don't care.

There's no need to care. It's dick waving at best, and a waste of time at worst.