1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2011 Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by yodasarmpit, 30 Nov 2010.

1. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

You have to be really quick to find the whole race on iPlayer. I've tried to download previous races the day after and found the only things available are the highlights.

2. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

It was a problem internally I think, not them taking it down. The split from BBC1 to BBC2 screwed things up I think. Both are back up now though :)

3. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Surprised they never integrated them to one part . I didn't know about the second part and so thought they managed to cut of the race just as it got interesting and i couldn't find part 2. So i hit this blue button.

Found it in the end thankfully even if i was up until 3:30.

4. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Heard on BBC Radio 4 this morning that the BBC is considering to scrap broadcasting F1 as it costs them £4 million per race in fees.

Hope that doesn't happen, as their coverage rules compared to ITV which would always cut for advertisments in the middle of an overtaking move :wallbash: (I know these are pre-timed but still)

I'd be willing to pay a seperate per-race fee to watch it on BBC with no commercial breaks, what do you all think?

/edit: Article in the Sunday Times as well about this: http://twitpic.com/5dggsr

5. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Oh go i hope not :wallbash: Scrap ****ing Match of the bunch of gay man huggers Day instead, i bet that costs more.

EDIT: Reading more it seems that they'd prefer to scrap F1 than one of its digital channels. Thats utter bollocks! scrap bbc4 or half a dozen of the shitty radio channels, but dont axe F1, its the only goddamn thing i use the BBC for nowadays since all their other programming is shite and their news is awful.

EDIT2: Just thought, does this seem like some knee jerk reaction because of a ton of blue-collar toffee nosed twats not getting their antiques fix? God i'm so ****ing angry about this.

Last edited: 19 Jun 2011
  6. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

WHAT?!

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

This cannot happen. This must not happen.

Heck, even when I'm home in India and can watch the race on Star Sports on a 42" screen, I stream the BBC because it's that much better. And yeah, they seem to be the only ones that do an entire race ad-free. The FIA should bloody sponsor the BBC coverage, it's the only thing for real race fans anyway.

7. bagman

bagman Minimodder

8. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Never found magny-cours that exciting. It'd still be better than another sterile race track r in some remote part of the world though. Don't they have enough races already i thought some of the teams were complaining so somewhere else would have to go.

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Also worth noting today is that Charlie has sent a letter to teams informing them of the ban on engine maps just for qualifying. Effectively, Teams were running "extreme maps" that blow more/hotter exhaust gases through the diffuser for qualifying, then they remapped before the race, so as to not risk blowing up their car. They can no longer do that now.

While this won't have an effect on race pace, it should have an effect on quali pace. How much remains to be seen.
    The Bulls can open their DRS wings earlier than anyone else, which might or might not be and effect of this...

10. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Why can they open theirs earlier?

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

They don't really need to ban the hot-blown diffuser this season really - just rid us of the quali/race map difference. :D

Baboon: I think what BentAnat means is that with their epic grip levels their drivers are opening up the DRS earliest in the field during quali. Obviously the same during the race.

12. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Yes... exactly that.
    During prac and quali, where the DRS is enabled all over the track (exception: Monaco), you can see the Bulls already openign their wings halfway through the corner. The other teams can't open up that early, for simple lack of grip.

Opening the Wing causes (obviously - I am recapping for those that might not know) less downforce, and (more importantly) less drag. That in turn means less resistance, which effectively increases top end and acceleration.

Opening the wing earlier gives the Bulls the extra bit of acceleration that seems to help them get that quali gap going.

With the ban on extreme engine mappings for quali, there is a chance that RBR (who, it is speculated have perfected the blown diffuser through off-throttle airflow) don't have enough downforce anymore out of the corners to be able to open up that early.

Obviously, this is all speculation. We don't even know how much of anyone's pace comes from blown diffusers. The ban on extreme mappings does make a difference on the effect of the diffuser though... especially in quali

13. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Frankly, I don't enjoy the idea of over-regulating the sport.

I know it helps ratings and income and makes it fun for the viewers but a part of me wishes everyone would be spurred to innovate to catch up rather than hamstring the leader because he's leading.

14. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

In this case, it's not about hamstringing the leader, though.

It's about the eco-drive they're trying to implement.
    The overrun engines burn more fuel. The extreme mappings serve nothing but grid position and burn more fuel.

Seeing as there's pressure with regards to the 2013 engine rules and the 1.6T engines as well, I am not too worried. Blown diffusers, throttle overruns, etc would all have way less of an effect then than now anyway.

15. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Plus the fact that the regs on exhaust are changing to ensure they exit the body work in a proscribed location - that'll stop blown floors and diffusers straight off.

16. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

As long as it's not at Manky Curves, I'd like to see the French GP back. How about the FIA ask the ACO (as they're bezzie mates again) wether or not they'd like to stage a GP around the Bugatti circuit at Le Mans? They run Moto GP round it, so there's no reason why they couldn't.

And Le Mans is a damn site nicer place to visit than Manky.

17. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Ooooo no, not Le Mans for F1, it would be more boring than Bahrain. For an F1 car Le Mans would be simple full throttle for about 95% of the lap. The LMP1 cars make it exciting because they so much more powerful and faster in a straight line but also massively more unstable through corners and under braking, plus they have LMP2's and all the GT cars to navigate.

If it was to return to france I'd like to see it at Paul Ricard, it's a much better track than Magny-Cours. That said, in my opinion, stuff France and get it back at Imola or the A1-Ring.

I'm stiill unsure as to how the exhaust reg changes will affect Renault. Theoretically Renault shouldn't have to change a thing since they don't use a blown diffuser as it is; they've come up with a totally different solution which, evidently works. We shall see i guess.

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The Bugatti circuit might be alright, bit short at 2.6m though, only half a mile longer than Monaco!

Definitely a much nicer place than Manky though, not even that far from le Paris for Bernie.

19. Pieface

Pieface Modder

You can seriously piss off if you want that to happen. Spa is an epic track.

20. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

1000% agreement.