1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Phenom II x4 B50

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noizdaemon666, 21 Jun 2011.

1. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

So I just unlocked a phenom ii x2 550 into an x4 B50. Obviously, unlocking means it will draw more power. My question is thusly this. Would the motherboard (M4A78LT-ME LE) be able to adequately support this added power draw?

I know ASUS only say it supports up to 95W CPUs but TDP doesn't seem to mean a great deal :hehe:

Thanks in advance :thumb:

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

As long as you're not heavily overvolting on top of unlocking it'll be fine. The board will be rated to support 130W quad cores.

3. glendronach

glendronach Minimodder

Are 95W ASUS boards really rated at 130W?
    There are no 125W cpus in the M4A78LT-ME LE compatibility list.

The unlocked B50 is rated at 178W by cpuid software which is over the top. Does anyone know the correct tdp for one.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well there goes my assumptions we support every CPU on every motherboard :p It's because it's the most value motherboard we do - an Light Edition of a value chipset.

125W should be fine, just don't add voltage or frequency and keep the VRM area cool. If you want to overclock then drop the quad core or upgrade the board because 3+1 phase VRM just won't take it.

5. noizdaemon666

Yeah, it's not for me it's for a friend. I wasn't planning on overclocking as it'll probably just cause more problems than actually benefiting him.

And as glendronach said, cpuz picks up the tdp as 178W, which, if correct, I thought might do some damage to the board. Though the CPU support list does have the 1055t listed and I think that's 125W.

Would it probably be better to drop it down to a triple core? My mate isn't really gaming anyway so a quad would probably be wasted on him.

Thanks

6. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

I really wouldn't take that too seriously, CPUZ can give all sorts of weird info with unlocked CPUs and 178 just seems like such an arbitray number. I don't see how an unlocked PII X2 would suck more juice than a real X4... I wouldn't worry.

7. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

I would assume that the correct TDP once unlocked will basically be the same as the Phenom 955BE (125w).

The board your friend has *should* be fine as long as no overclocking or overvolting is attempted although I would be wary even at stock as 125w CPU's arn't officially supported.

8. noizdaemon666

Yeah I dropped it back to a dual core. If it was mine I would have left it, but I'd rather not have him coming back 5 months down the line with a motherboard that's blown up :hehe:

9. Deders

Deders Modder

Does your mobo have 4 or 8 pin EPS?

10. No1Spank

No1Spank What's a Dremel?

Unlocked PII 550 to B50

I ran a Phenom II 550 unlocked to a B50 quad for the last year and a quarter. When I bought the board I wasn't familiar with the concept of how much wattage a cpu uses. As it had overclocked to 3.6ghz with no problems as a dual core on my old board I was a little disappointed to not be able to run at more than 3.2ghz as a quad.
    Anyhow I have run it overclocked by 100mhz all that time with no problems, although to be fair it didn't have heavy use most of the time. I'm guessing that when I fit it into my new board which has 140w tdp I should get higher clock speeds.