1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Corsair SP2500's worth it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shayper09, 23 Jun 2011.

1. Shayper09

Shayper09 Swimming in Deionized.

Hi guys... Considering buying the corsair sp2500 speakers, but just wanted to know, are they worth the price?

I love my music and gaming, especially the bass... So when I saw a set of speakers with bass this powerful for this sort of price, I was instantly interested.

So are they worth the price tag? Or should I be looking elsewhere for poweful bass speakers at this price point?

Music I listen to is mainly Dubstep, Drum & Bass and House, all of which I also produce myself.

Many thanks guys :lol:

2. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Difficult.

You see for music production AFAIK you do not want a big dirty sub colouring the music, you would ideally want monitors to listen to the music your producing "as is" so to speak.

Depends how serious you are about production I guess.

3. bagman

bagman Minimodder

For the price I don't think there is any thing that can beat it (unless you build your own).

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I have them and love them. So if you have space (the sub is huge) get them :)

5. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM5a3nFJ160

Very long review I know but I watch this guy on youtube frequently and he says they are phenomenal. I have no experience with the speakers personally but I will probably be buying them within the next few months when the funds allow. I would say though that with them being expensive, make sure you buy them from somewhere that will take them back no questions asked (like amazon etc) if you are not completely satisfied

Edit: and Ill be buying them for the music reproduction only. If you're gaming I would highly recommend getting a decent headset above any 2.1/5.1/7.1 speaker system

Last edited: 23 Jun 2011
  6. NeilJM

NeilJM What's a Dremel?

Depends what you mean by production. Fine for programming, editing, song writing etc. As long as any recording and mixing is done else where on monitors. If your priority is gaming I hear they're hard to beat.

7. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

For recording / mixing, get a pair of krk or yamaha monitor for example (they are nice and not expensive), but monitor are meant for proximity listening and are hard to live with for long listening session (tiring for hear). For anything else, yes go buy them, they are to beat at that price.

Try to find somewhere to try them, it's always better to listen to speakers before buying. Just to be sure it matches your tastes

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Just a note, where these speakers sub is setup properly (ie at about 100KHz) you wont really 'hear' it, so as I like thumping bass I set mine up to run at 80%-90% of full power, kicks out a lot of bass then :p

9. NeilJM

NeilJM What's a Dremel?

KRK are definitely the shout for cheapie monitors.

10. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

11. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

if you can find a set 2nd hand, get a pair of kef c35's, they wil be cheap as for some reason kef dont list them on their website (strange as they were the 1st series to use the kef uinQ driver arrangement) but their sound quality is excellent, tight bass and a very nice neutral sound.

i bought a set a couple of years ago off ebay for less than 20 quid which was an absolute bargain as they are really worth much more, was a massive wrench to get rid of them but the wife wouldnt let me keep them and the celestion ditton 25's.

the bloke that bought them off me had his own mini studio and wanted them to replace his old set of c35's which he used for music reproduction and he recond they were fantastic for the job.

Last edited: 23 Jun 2011
  12. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

13. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I still have no clue who has the time and can be arsed to watch these video reviews? 43 minutes and I already felt the "what on earth is he talking about" at four minutes. Sheesh so much blah blah..

100 kHz? 100 Hz is more like it.

Yeah the SP2500 is a good set, really I think for a real step up you'd be looking at something 100 € more: http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_b2030a_truth_aktivmonitor.htm

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeh thats what I ment :p

15. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

He's an acquired taste I suppose, I quite like his conversational style but it is an overly long review. His others are not as long generally

16. NeilJM

NeilJM What's a Dremel?

100Hz by the way isn't really "thumping bass" it's very much a grey between bass and low mid - it has a tight, punchy sound, where the initial impact and pop of say a kick drum sits. The depth is more around 50-80 depending on the kit.

It's also an area that's really sensitive to acoustics in small, untreated rooms - so placement is very important.

17. Deders

Deders Modder

I think 100HZ is where the crossover divides the sound between the sub and the rest of the speakers, so the sub will play all frequencies below 100HZ down to whatever it's lowest rated frequency is. For this price it should be 20-30Hz at least.

18. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Yeah I haven't really even tried to watch many of his reviews, but I tried to watch the NZXT H2 Classic-one and disagreed with just about everything he said and got absolutely fed up with the "umm umm" which took about 10 minutes of the total of 40 minutes..

It's the crossover frequency. The sub goes down to 35 Hz (-3 dB)

19. NeilJM

NeilJM What's a Dremel?

Yes I know - someone above seemed to be saying that with the crossover at 100, changing the sub volume was altering the really low stuff. I was using my phone and it can't handle quoting, lol.

20. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

It was me, I was misquoting Jipa from another thread...