1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Custom PC's £410 future proof PC.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pete*, 23 Jun 2011.

1. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Hi all,

I was reading Custom PC and feel like building the very cheap budget PC for a friend,
    she just wants something small, simple, runs games easily and better than her current
    AMD Athlon 64/X800 Pro she has.

I'm getting it all from ebuyer as it is all cheaper from there, actually even with the extra FP13
    for CPU cooling, its still £20 cheaper than from scan! :eek: and less than the £410 price to build it.

However, I can't find the suggested graphics card, the Sapphire HD 5850 Xtreme on either Scan
    or eBuyer at the moment. Is there an equivalent from nvidia at this time? For roughly the same
    price (£110).

Also, I have an Antec 1200 sitting doing nothing at the moment. The case is actually massive
    overkill for this PC I know, but it would save on £40 for the Antec One Hundred.
    Would having it negate the need for a better CPU cooler, or would it still be better to get one?

Well... I rambled a bit there, gist of it is, I can't get the HD5850X from Scan or Ebuyer... what
    is an nvidia alternative (pref. better AROUND same price).
    and would having a wholly ott case negate the need for non-ref cpu cooller?

Thanks guys,

Pete :)

2. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

You can find the 5850 Xtreme at OcUK for £124.99, it has obviously gone up since the article was published. You can also get it here for less: http://www.b4udirect.com/Graphics Card/Sapphire Technology/b4u35139334?ai=515 although I've never used that site before. Pay with a credit card to be on the safe side as its over £100 you'll be covered under Section 75.

Other retailers did have the 5850 Xtreme but I think OcUK purchased most of the UK stock of it, unfortunately the cost price shot up so we won't be seeing it at £100 again.

The other option is a second hand 5850 or a new GTX 460. The 460 has slightly less performance but there isn't a huge deal between the two.

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

The £99.99 price tag is a single penny to short for Section 75 protection from B4UDirect unfortunately!

I second the GTX 460 especially if it's the 1GB version and not the SE!

Alas I never thought I'd meet a 'Yate' blood on Bit-Tech Mr Speed! :D

4. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Ah yes my bad, forgot postage didn't count lol. Indeed the 1GB Gtx460 is an excellent card!

Did you know we have fan range named after us........ Yate Loons.... lol!!:D ;)

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Also that film called 'The Hills Have Eyes'! ;)

6. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

7. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Tags: