1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple iPhone 5 rumoured for September launch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 23 Jun 2011.

1. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

i get two days from my desire hd with fairly frequent use. three days easy if im trying to make it last. and my screen is massive!

2. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

I don't know, but I'm starting to think the Android fanboys are worse. While protesting the herd-like insta-buy tendencies of Apple fans, they don't seem to realise that they've taken on some of the same characteristics. They're like COD bashers laying down instant pre-orders for BF3, or Dawkins fans criticising Catholics:

"Look at all those God fanboys queuing up to kiss the Pope's hand! Don't they realise they're just being duped by flashy marketing? They're probably trying to convince themselves it's all worthwhile because they've paid so much into the church collection plate! Yeah, not like us atheists - we think for ourselves! By the way, have you read Dawkins' "The God Delusion"? It's the best book ever. One of my Catholic mates tried to criticise it, but he just didn't understand it - what a dummy! Man, I can't wait for his next book - I will definitely buy it, and it will be better than the next translation of the Bible, which will just be the same as the last four translations. Only fanboys buy that same rubbish over and over again!"

Ahh, satire...

Anyway, I get why some people really dislike the behaviour of Apple fans, but you don't build a good argument against them by behaving the same way.

SlowMotionSuicide likes this.
  3. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Rep for quality post. Seems most people bashing Apple products have never actually used them. I got both 3gs and iPad2, and both are great devices. I don't, however, have any sort of urge to update either once Apple puts out something new and shiny.

4. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Spot on.

5. Shayper09

Shayper09 Swimming in Deionized.

I have an iPhone 4 and love it.

I won't be upgrading to the 5 however, as my contract doesn't run out till next year.

Probably will get the 6 though :)

6. haddow64

haddow64 What's a Dremel?

I'm currently on the iPhone 4, and I really like it. I have no desire to tweak and tinker with my phone. I have linux on my desktop for that.

But as far as the iPhone 5 goes apple seem to have adopted Intel's tick-tock strategy. Which I think works quite well for most of us on 18 and 24 month contracts.

7. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

I'll stick with my HTC Sensation plskthx.

And since when did the masses come to accept that a TWO-F**KING-YEAR contract was even remotely acceptable?

8. Panos

Panos Minimodder

I will stick with my trustworthy Nexus S. I don't believe I will replace it until 4G networks are mainstream, and it's successor is out :D

9. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

I guess I am going to go crawl back into my blackberry cave until something exciting happens.

10. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Who cares. All the droid phone my friends have walk circles around the iphone.

11. Paulg1971

Paulg1971 Minimodder

Haha, very good

12. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

*laughs out loud*

13. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Former Android User here, now an iOS user with an iPhone 4.

I was surprised at the number of people pouring scorn on Apple for their iPhone when compared to Android. I can't quite understand it to be honest. I ditched Android (self upgraded v2.1 HTC Hero) because quite frankly, I got fed up with the 'Android Issues'...

1. It would gobble memory and slow down which necessitated using a task killer which caused even more issues.
    2. The number of apps which 'forced closed' was a joke.
    3. The OS is inconsistent, apps too.. Menus all over the place with few standards between apps.
    4. Comparative apps in the marketplace lacked polish compared to iOS apps.
    5. SLOW updates from the networks and manufactures.... this really is a joke... Orange and HTC would have left me on 1.6 if I hadnt have updated it manually and rooted it.
    6. App market place was restricted and fragmented (ie.. you couldnt see all of it depending on your OS version and some apps didnt work properly on my phone).
    7. Appalling integration with my PC and Mac

Not what you need really unless you dont value your own time and like tinkering away...

So I bought an iPhone 4. Wow... it just works. The UI is so polished compared to Android. Intuitive and easy to use without any of the issues above. The core advantages to me were :

1. Amazing and unrivalled retina 960x640 screen. Its like reading paper. Even the Samsung Galaxy S2 doesnt beat it.
    2. Facetime built in means that I can video conf with ease to all my colleagues/friends with iPhones (that's all of them... honestly, we all own iPhones)
    3. Not one crash since using it from November.
    4. Polished Appstore where you are guaranteed to find the apps you want.
    5. My iPod is now redundant.
    6. Polished and seamless integration with my Mac.
    7. Updates and First Class Support from Apple... something I never got from HTC.

The only negatives Ive found are

- Yep, the signal loss when you grip it too hard is noticeable... but my HTC had similar issues. Easily avoided
    - Notifications are basic ... but the iOS 5 OS due in Sept looks better than Android.

Im sure Android has moved on since the crappy HTC phone I had but I still think that if you want a smart phone that just works, does everything, and still has the best display out there, then you cant go wrong with the iPhone. I wouldnt get a HTC phone again if they paid me, and I hear Samsung, Motorola, LG are just as bad with the updates.

Will I buy the iPhone 5..... maybe.

14. Dedlite

Dedlite What's a Dremel?

So are ŵe talking about the 5 in September, or the 4s?

15. Dedlite

Dedlite What's a Dremel?

16. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Boooooooooooooooor

17. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

The Hero is a piece of **** phone. I'm tired of mine, not even CM7 can make it non-shitty. If you stuck with stock 2.1, then you must have been living in a world of hurt...

18. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I'm still using an iPhone 3G. According to my contract, I'm eligible for a subsidized upgrade. I'm thinking that I might wait for the iPhone 5 to hit the streets, then get an iPhone 4 for even less.

19. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

This...a small part of the reason I don't have a cell at all. That, and I have no friends :p But, yes. Two years? You want me to agree to your crappy service for two years? (face it, they're all crap.) No, thanks. Maybe someday there will be real competition to give better service, not what we have now: a race to the bottom of how poorly customers can be treated before they start to bail. At least in the US, the gov't has handed millions to the telecoms (in tax breaks and the like) because they came crying, hats in hands, about how they couldn't afford to give everyone service, and not decent service, without 'incentives'. Rather than taking the money and actually upgrading and improving, all that got upgraded and improved were executive compensation packages.

As far as Apple goes, I'm very curious to see how it goes once teh Steve is gone...my guess is, they'll go under within three years, as they very nearly did when they booted him years ago.

20. dave99

dave99 What's a Dremel?

Great phones until you turn them this way and th.................

Tags: Add Tags