1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project [Mac G5]: ReBoot| The new trials! 12/02-2012

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Stark.Jr, 17 Jun 2011.

?

Small or BIG updates?

Poll closed 26 Aug 2011.
  1. Small

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Big

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Stark.Jr

Stark.Jr What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    Hello!
    I have been sitting on this side for nearly 2 years, and been registered in four months.
    It is the first time I write a project log and my first time making a real attempt to modify a case and start writing in English on the Internet.
    (My English is so bad that I use Google translate to spell and form mud me as right as possible)
    But you on this site have compelled that I must try when there are so very many beautiful and wonderful buildings.
    The construction that has made that I've chosen my project and my goals are:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2008/10/28/apple-core-duo-by-cyprio/1

So now I take the collar and presents my building:
    The name came to me from what I felt I want to achieve with my project, and it was these words:
    Design
    Innovative
    Staff
    Passion

and now to the case and my ideas.
    The case, which I will modify a Powermacs that I got hold of 4 months ago, but the project has been the plan led to almost a year.
    What I had in mind and make the chassis was to change it so that I can get a water cooling system for an ATX system.
    It can be seen on skis further down that I want to fit a 2x120 and 3x120 radiator, then I would also be able to press two 80mm fans in the rear of the chassis.
    I have come quite so long in my head how I should have most of it and how it should look like, but I still have an incredible number of ideas that are smoldering and that I would like to test.

So here I have now presented the building and this is what I have so far managed to do today:
    My drawings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a try to make a rendering:

[​IMG]

Now to the work that I have made on the case and the motherboard tray:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And right before I did leave the case I did get it in to parts :D
    [​IMG]

tomorrow I will go and got new rivets and so should glue my motherboard plate. so updates will probably tomorrow night or on Sunday :lol: .

See you later :dremel:
    //Stark.JR

Last edited: 12 Feb 2012
  2. Stark.Jr

The projekt is DEAD! i ran it over whit my car!

Hi all:)

Now I have begun to get started with the integration of my back on the rear of the Case.
    I have also done so I can remove the CPU cooling without having to remove the motherboard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have recessed screws so I will be able to glue them first and then draw a layer of putty over so it becomes smooth and fine.
    [​IMG]

Then I also started to make a filling which has no metal and it seems to be pretty okay.
    [​IMG]

And some of the motherbord hanging in the air:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Once it is clear to the back ready to be glued and screwed together, and then they get sick a lot of nice work: D

This is all from me right now but i hope i have one more update this week :D

//Stark.JR

Last edited: 30 Jun 2011
  3. dr.c.strange

dr.c.strange What's a Dremel?

I absolutely love apple mac g5 case mods. Good luck!

4. Stark.Jr

Thank you :) i hope you will enjoy my worklogg and the finshed produkt :)

//Stark.Jr

5. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Very nicely done!

G5 Cheesecake! :rock:

6. Stark.Jr

Tnx i really like your work om your case to :) i wish i hade the skillz you have and à nice CNC like you :)
    :dremel:

//Stark.JR

7. Stark.Jr

The back is put together | 27 june

Hey all :dremel:

Today I had a little time after work so I have started epoxy glue the back cover.
    It was not quite as easy as I had thought it would be but time, some of it was good or not, the fact it takes 12 hours for the glue to dry.
    This is the glue I use and it must be sick so strong hope that and the screws are able to keep everything together.
    [​IMG]

Also received a small boost of the good weather that I would shoot out, so took my stuff that I had sanded down and went out in the sun and began to shoot:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, I do not really photographer I thought I was :grr: :duh: but you can see what it is anyway haha

Here are pictures of the glue before mixing:
    [​IMG]

Here are some pictures of when I put on the adhesive and the heated 200 degrees when it gets particularly strong when:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And last but not least, I have just found out where my hard drives to be, and I will just run the 2.5 drives (SSD) in this project when I have such a small place and has begun planning for a computer that will become the server:)
    [​IMG]

This was all from me right now but maybe one more update this week will see how much it is at work :lol:

/ / Stark.Jr

8. Stark.Jr

Can someone explain how to do so you can view his project log that such a thing there for? like down there as it tends to be what one has for systems and their projects as they are doing and have done?
    Would be incredibly grateful for that :D

//Stark.Jr

9. Dragonphreak

Dragonphreak Minimodder

This is looking good. I love to see people putting a PC in the G5 case.

10. Stark.Jr

Getting into problems, asking for help :) | 28 june

hello all again today :)

Here's a quick little update on how things have gone for me with epoxy glue and sanding.

How did it look like now after it had stood for 24 hours of drying time:
    [​IMG]

I can say that this epoxy glue is so sick tight that there is :D, because I tried which is to share it when I realized that I had failed to put your stuff that holds the video cards, sound cards and the like :wallbash: . But it did not really get away I tried with that which existed even with chemicals, but it did not come off so I had to drill more holes in the chassis and replacing the graphics card holder.

How it looked after I got your graphics card slot and avoid of any excess glue that was left:
    [​IMG]

On this picture you can see even my little problem I have but do it later.

I can also say that I am incredibly pleased with myself how awesome I have managed to fit into coherent with each other, the thought that the little extra Bitten I sawed out and put in would be completely skewed to those sides who is already in line with the chassis :dremel: :lol:
    [​IMG]

Here you can see even better how coherent fits in line with each other:
    [​IMG]

And now for my major, or perhaps a small problem I have:
    [​IMG]

One sees it not so well but the problem is that I have sanded a little too much on the edge so you can see my graphics card holder and what I wonder is what putty is to be used anyway?
    Is there anyone knowledgeable in this area that could explain why I should use such a filler?

In the end I really can think of to keep there and would sit down would be fiber filler, but I can type anything so I ask you for help :)

/ / Stark.JR

11. Stark.Jr

Well!
    project is now DEAD:waah::waah::waah::waah::waah::waah::waah:!
    I'm pretty clumsy of me as I know, and today I would go to work and I would have with me my chassis when I had your time off in 2hours after lunch so thought of taking your there and drill into all the little ways that would make again.
    I put it behind my car last night since I run in and eat and total forgetting that the chassis is out there and behind the car.
    I wake up and sit in the car to go and hear only that I cans of something.
    What I backed off on every my chassis, I have thus total wreck it by backing it with my trailer hitch.

But yesterday was good in all cases were filled in the order of all edges so they were straight and neat and everything else:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And last but not least, today's work:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So now this project is finished and probably my strength to be mod again, was so damn angry and tired of everything now that this happened.

// Stark.JR over and out

12. IcyAero

IcyAero What's a Dremel?

R.I.P :grr:

No worries, accidents do happen.

13. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

That's unfortunate...

I almost feel like you might be able to straighten out the frame, and cut out almost the whole back, and make a new back out of mesh... but I guess I'm only going off of two pictures, so I could be wrong.

Too bad, this beginning to look good too.

14. bboybaker

bboybaker What's a Dremel?

Come one man only happens because you forget it.
    So i on your situation will continue modding and i tell you what i using the same case and do modding on that broken parts.

Build the top and welding i can do it and cheer up. :thumb:

15. Stark.Jr

Yes it dose but i did see some light of the tunnel when i hade allmoste pulld the back of i was so happy yesterday :waah:
    but it was maby a to big starting project :grr:

No its not a chans in my world i will try to remake it :S thats just like a banana its like ( the hole frame :grr: :waah:

16. Shael

Shael What's a Dremel?

Dont give up on this, the setbacks are important as they help you to find solutions :D keep going with it :thumb:

I would remake the back panel out of similar mesh nd with the bent side fram a little tlc with a rubber mallet, some wood for bracing and it looks like you can straighten it out enough.

Once youve done that use several long clamps braced accross the corners diagonally and slowly increase the pressure until you get it back to square. With a bit of work it can be done, just need to remember to go slow. That should get rid of the bananna curve ;)

17. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Mod it back to life? Please? :)

18. j0rd

j0rd FLOSS folder

This was the best G mod i have seen, the rear I/O panel was so well integrated into the origional case, it looked mint :D

Would a panel beater be able to whack it back into shape?

19. Stark.Jr

okay I will try to fix it later at some point but lost a bit dryer on the chassis now that this happened so takes up a old Idee that I have a different chassis.
    But will try that might fix both paralelt with each other so I do not get too frustrated with the Mac Business Case :D

//Stark.Jr

20. nathandanielmorris

nathandanielmorris What's a Dremel?

God damn, I was excited about this haha, I love the G5 cases and was interested to see what you were going to do with it.