1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Can you recommend a football game?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by mikemorton, 26 Jun 2011.

1. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

I have a confession to make.

I'm not a proper bloke.

No, I don't mean I have an unhealthy interest in my mother's clothes.

It's just that I don't like football. :eeek:

My wife has told me to find a suitable footy title as a gift for a seven-year-old boy.

As I'm totally clueless on the subject, it's over to you please.

2. SpaceBaby

SpaceBaby AKA: Stophon

well there are only really 2 options "Fifa" or "PES (Pro evolution soccer)"

they both bring out a new title each year and from the info from my brother the choice of title is all personal preference.

i remember back in the day Fifa had the rights to all the real names but i not sure if that is still the case. you could still work out what team is was supposed to be with a little clever naming in PES but i my self have never been a fan of sports games on consoles.

FIFA 2011
    PES 2011

The 2012 version according to play are set to release about September/October time.

Last edited: 26 Jun 2011
  3. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Trouble with buying now is the new versions come out in a few months, when the football season starts again, if you can hold off until then please do so.

If you have to buy now get fifa 11, then if he loves it buy fifa 12 when that comes out :)

4. The Monk

The Monk Minimodder

I would get fifa if it is for a 7 year old. The official licensing will make it much more fun for him

5. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

OK, sounds like FIFA is the one.

But I was asking around at work and my mates reckon it may be a bit too advanced for him.

Should I give it a go anyway?

His usual games are COD and COD 2, Company Of Heroes and Red Alert 3.

6. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I know it is kind of common place these days and I'm ready for a flaming but a 7 year old plays COD??
    I don't do football either. I'd say fifa would be OK, go for an older one as they are peanuts. If he gets into it then get the latest one in s few weeks or whenever it's released.

7. The Monk

The Monk Minimodder

What about getting an older copy of Fifa EG Fifa 10 from ebay for less than a fiver?

If it's too hard then it's only a fiver so not much of a loss.

What about getting his parents to download the demo to see if he can play it?

8. SpaceBaby

SpaceBaby AKA: Stophon

in the seance of it being to advanced for him, it is similar to COD.

you can play the game and enjoy it but it takes a lot of practice to be good at it.

9. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Yes, give Fifa 11 a go - it's the best available on the pc, and don't worry, football is football at the end of the day - he might not be winning the world cup with Jamaica playing at world class difficulty just yet but at an easier setting what's there to worry about - pass, tackle, shoot...

10. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

No - no flaming at all - you are absolutely right.

He (my son) does play the original COD and COD 2.

I have been a bit silly to let him play wargames at such a young age.

He saw me playing them and wanted to try them himself.

In hindsight, it's not a parental decision I'm proud of.

He does not play Modern Warfare (or even worse World At War or BLOPs) though.

My wife is justifiably unhappy with me, so I'm trying to get him into something more healthy.

Hopefully no long-term damage has been done!

11. Seabrook

Seabrook What's a Dremel?

FIFA is in no ways too advanced for a seven year old. This is why it has different difficulty modes. They even recently added a two button mode to make it even easier for very young kids to play. I've never used the two button mode (not really my thing) but I would imagine it is literally, one button for pass, one button for shoot. As the 7 year old gets better he can then advance through the difficulty levels, from amateur (which is incredibly easy as you can just dribble around and score at will) all the way up to legendary (which is the closest you can get to playing a human online). As mentioned the official licensing on FIFA makes it more popular for young kids, although PES has started getting quite a bit of official licensing - but it's still not as kiddifed as FIFA. FIFA covers all the bases in terms of age, fun for young kids and more mature players.

12. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

Thanks for all your replies gents.

FIFA it is then.

13. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Should have gone for Sensible Soccer

14. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

It's not too late!

Go on then, please explain why?!

15. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Haha! Sensible Soccor is a joke :) It was massive in the 90's!

FIFA is definitely the way to go. Best footy game out there.

16. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Sorry just reread my post, did you get an old fifa? What about racing games pgr or similar some of the sonic/Mario titles.
    Have you ever read this be the verse by Phillip larking? It is the only poem I ever remember from school. I have 2 kids myself, they watched me playing dead rising 2 the other day, that too wasn't one of my best, so I turned the telly off.
    I remember playing akari warriors on the Atari 520 when. I was younger ash the heady days of the early 90s. The hours of fun with a beat up joystick with 1 fire button and a ball mouse with no scroll wheel loading pirated games from a floppy disc before the internet was around.
    You younguns don't know how lucky you got it.
    God I sound like my dad now!
    Back on topic...

17. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

Thanks for your input guys, as well as FIFA I've shown him Dirt 2 (a bit too hard, even on easy) and Dirt 3.

I think Dirt 3 would be a brilliant starter as on the default difficulty mode the game takes control of the throttle and lays out the best racing line, so you just have to concentrate on steering.

18. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

for a kid, it's gunna be fifa everytime - their advertising power makes them more appealing to the younger generation.

19. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

buy an older version of both pes and fifa, then get the new version of whichever he prefers?

20. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Just get FIFA 11 for £15. Can't go wrong.
    Both the FIFA/PES series are the same as COD in that the differences between each iteration are minuscule bar updated team rosters.

Get him an arcady racing game such as Burnout Paradise instead?