1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Akira (and slowly devolving into general Animé)

Discussion in 'General' started by DLDeadbolt, 25 Jun 2011.

1. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

Steamboy has surprisingly good English dubbing; they even got regional accents and slang right (it's based in the UK)

As for the ending of Akira, I'm inclined to agree that I dislike it. The movie does a great job up until the end where it takes a big turn for the weird.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I've become so used to watched the dubbed versions of GITS that I can't cope with the Jap/Sub version anymore... :(

Agreed on the ending for Akira - serious weirdness occurs there...

3. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

I just watched the new ghibli film, the borrowers (Karigurashi No Arrietty) and It was well worth the wait, now just for porco rosso 2 :)

4. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

A great film, lost my DVD and haven't been able to find it :waah:

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I've seen my fair share of anime over the years. I won't bore you all with the details, but a family member has quite an extensive collection, and I've seen a reasonable (Although by no means large) portion of it.

As time has gone by, I've only been going back to re-watch certain things. To the stage where I can only really watch GITS:SAC, BubbleGum Crisis, and Castle Of Cagliostro without being bored to the stage of contemplating drinking enamel paint thinner.

Akira, I never understood the fervour with which people recommended it. It wasn't terrible, but I don't get the rabid fandom it seems to have inspired.

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

If only it'd stopped at the point where he was trapped under water with the blue fairy :duh: .

7. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Come on give us an answer, id like to know too, as im 25 and prefer anime to regular tv/films tbh. Oh and i have 2 amazing kids and a gf that is only a part time bitch (lol) before you say any BS about i should get out into the world. Although naruto has lost my intrest for the past year and bleach is starting too since they started the filler crap, need to find some more shiiiiiiitt (the guy on the wire that says that is dam annoying, random point lol)

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

*dons flame-proof body condom*

Why are Anime fans so hard line all the time?

I've made the near fatal mistake of calling them cartoons before (not deliberately to incite a war either), and I couldn't believe the amount of spit and vitriol that ensued. Get over the fact that some people don't like it; and have the good grace to do it without denouncing them as uncultured 'tards.

Yes, I know it's art; but so is The Human Centipede. Must I endure that in silence too?

ffs

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It's like any kind of fanboyism, you will be criticised and dismissed for not liking it, doesn't mean you're wrong.

However, dismissing it as a cartoon, without recognising that it's not just a bunch of pretty pictures, justly deserves criticism. :)

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I really need to read the Akira manga. I've watched the films countless times and the ending just feels completely disjointed.

Mind you, I could say that about quite a few anime series. Neon Genesis Evangelion immediately springs to mind: most of the way through it's fine, it starts to go quite weird towards the end, then suddenly the ending just takes a complete left turn into WTF-Land - to this day I still don't quite get the ending to that series.

Because when you think of "cartoons", you think of Transformers, Thundercats, etc, on a Saturday morning - e.g. children's cartoons. Not that adults don't watch children's cartoons of course, but they're not the target market.

"Because it's animated, it's a cartoon; because it's a cartoon, it must therefore be for children." This is the attitude that I take issue with, not the fact that anime gets referred to as "cartoons". Yes it's animated and yes you could probably call that a "cartoon" (without wanting to get into semantics too much here), but that does not mean that it's made for children or that it's childish to watch anime.

11. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

*50 replies*

*no one mentions Evangelion*

I like this thread.

12. David

Nonsense. Dangermouse frikkin rocks!

LOL

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Looks like you need to read my earlier reply... Whoops. :worried:

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Which is why I said: "Not that adults don't watch children's cartoons of course". Because Dangermouse is indeed awesome :)

15. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

OK, I completely missed that. The irony is that your post completely sums up how I feel about Evangelion; it's alright but a bit confusing however a large number of people completely rave about it which I don't really get, not saying they can't do that but it's refreshign when it doesn't happen :D.

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

It is a good series, but they completely fluffed the ending. To make up for it, they have now re-made the ending more times than I care to count; each one is contradictory and each one hardly explains anything any better. It's certainly not the best anime I've seen - mostly because of all the endless faffing with "new/revised" endings. Cowboy Bebop and GITS:SAC were better, IMO.

Though, again, I haven't read the Evangelion manga.

17. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

Yeah it's not that he was like "anime sucks IMO" (which would be fine) it was "all animation is childish; I'm so mature", which is a frankly absurd thing to say (on both counts)

I'm sticking with 19, btw. Douchebag levels tend to peak around that age. Mainly due to the 'zomg, guys, I've discovered boobs!' factor combining with education actually starting to teach you something worthwhile making you think you know everything.

Nobody mentioning the Cowboy Bebop series, however: an unfortunate oversight. It's the only anime I've not really found anything to dislike about (mostly because of its almost complete lack of anime tropes)

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Jeez, you people need to learn to read! :p ;)

19. David

:read: :D :hehe:

20. David

Jeez you fellas start late these days. :p
    When I was fifteen, my Dad knew nothing! When I got to twenty-five, I was surprised how much he'd learnt in ten years! :D