1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Akira (and slowly devolving into general Animé)

Discussion in 'General' started by DLDeadbolt, 25 Jun 2011.

1. unicorn13ocp

unicorn13ocp Staying sane inside Insanity

@kaiwan - go on then I'll metion FMP then as i'm in the middle of watching FUMOFFU then watchin TSR + ova to complete the 3 season B2B :thumb:

Now where did I leave bunta kun?!?

2. Xir

Xir Modder

I started with the robot diluted daily soap that was Robotech (Macross). :grr:
    Yes, my head hangs in shame, i saw a girl SING aliens to peace :eeek:

Back when Sky was new...when 1986? 1987?

Anyway, a few years later I got go get Anime'S from the video store...
    Akira and Ghost in the Shell come to mind.
    GITS was better IMHO, but then again it's a lot newer.

I liked Dominion: Tank Police, which says a lot about my level of maturity back then :D

Then there's the (mentioned before) "Legend of the Overfiend" but hrmmbll the less said the better ;)

3. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Rep for that, I didn't know there was an animation of it. Am now trying to find it. I have the book of When The Wind Blows, and it's just amazing.

edit -

I seem to remember seeing an interview with Spielberg in which he claims that the mushy redeeming ending, that appeared to be tacked on with no need, was actually one of Kubrick's contributions to the script, not his. He wanted to take it out, but didn't out of respect for him.

He may have been lying his ass off, but given how much he loved Kubrick that seems unlikely. I'll try to find the interview if I have time later, it must be on youtube somewhere...

4. Xir

Xir Modder

Nope that's wrong, it's still funny, nearly twenty years later :D

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I stand corrected:

Aargh! The world doesn't make sense anymore!!!

In that case Spielberg should have made the director's cut and got rid of the sugary ending.

6. onimkron

onimkron What's a Dremel?

I loved Macross, I watched it in cantonese when I was a kid. I recently watched the japanese language version, which brought back a flood of memories.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Sounds far too convenient tbh. It's not like Kubrick can counter the claims now though.

How many times have you heard people say "I did all the good bits"

8. Xir

Xir Modder

Howcome noone can make a good movie out of Asimov's great ideas?

In this case, I swish A.I., Bicentennial Man, and I Robot in one pot. When does an Artificial Intelligence stop to be a machine, and how does man react to them? Which is a core part of his works.

The Caves of Steel could make a good movie.
    heck, I, Robot would have been good centering on Susan Calvin and incorporating the escapades of Powell and Donovan!*

*if you're going "Who the Heck are Powell and Donovan?"...be ashamed.
    Go to a library, and get either "I,Robot" or "The total Robot" which is the extended collection.
    Yes, in Print, you've got to feel the weigt of this book :D

9. boiled_elephant

I'm on the fence on the AI thing. He might be lying, but I'd like to think he's not (let's face it, Kubrick went a bit insane towards the end, c.f. Eyes Wide Shut).

I, Robot was an incredible scene or two surrounded by a mediocre film. I bought it on blu-ray just for the good bit or two, the main one being the montage around Lanning's speech about 'ghosts in the machine'. That scene blew my mind. Most of the film after it just blew.

10. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I worked with a guy in the anime club in atlanta.. worked with him for a couple of years and he always used to always make fun of manga.. he said it was geared towards lonely little boys

I've only seen a few so can't really comment.. I was watching naruto subtitled though before anyone here in the states even knew what it was xD it was that little dog

used to dl the new episodes when the series was brand new in japan

all other anime I've seen, well except maybe gunbuster.. it goes like this

some of them are awesome, draws you into the story and gets you to feel for the plight of certain characters.. then it's almost like an act of sabotage.. and it goes into some sci fi twist that absolutely doesn't fit anything.. your only reaction is wtf just happened

then your left with an awesome flick.. except for the ending

why I don't watch them anymore.. it seems to be the trend

Last edited: 1 Jul 2011
  11. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

god damnit i forgot all about that show, what a steller and epic ending, and all in B&W too!

12. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

Am I like, the only person who liked the ending of AI? In selfishly demanding he get his mum back for a day, he ended up being truly human. It wasn't a sugary ending, I thought it was terribly sad. Here was a kid given the choice between waiting for an advance in technology until she can be brought back permanently (which judging by how far they had already progressed, seems only a matter of time) or having her back NOW for one day. And he goes the selfish route. Well, he wanted to be a real boy. He got his wish.

13. Xir

Xir Modder

Darn this thread got me into my old anime's again :D
    Alita - Battle Angel
    Gunsmith Catsbut mostly:
    Armitage III...I'd forgotten how much I liked that...:D

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It's a decent interpretation, but I would have prefered the film to have ended at the bottom of the sea. The real human condition is to hope, wish and strive. In wishing to the Blue Fairy, he fulfilled his quest and became a real boy.

15. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Especially the "Tank Traps":naughty:

I'm currently waiting for an English-subbed release of this:-

17. boiled_elephant

I mentioned it in the last Anime thread we had*, but I'll mention it again: Trigun is amazing, I loved it. Was really frustrated when I finished watching it and realised there was no more.

*And now I feel really old...