1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Fallout 3 new game crash HELP!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by barney magru, 30 Jun 2011.

1. barney magru

barney magru What's a Dremel?

Hey folks,

Apologies in advance for this, given that I'm well aware there are plenty of threads out there concerning this. However, its gonna avoid a major headache if I simply post this.

I'm basically trying to get fallout 3 running on this new laptop and encounter the common crash when I click 'new game'. I've tried a lot of the fixes mentioned on various sites, and am having no joy.
    Would you guys be kind enough to list the possible fixes that have worked for you on this thread, so that I can systematically work my way through them?

GOTY edition, on disk patched to - 1.7.0.3

Thanks a bunch in advance guys!

b

Operating System
    MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
    CPU
    Intel Processor @ 2.10GHz 46 °C
    Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
    RAM
    4.00 GB
    Motherboard
    Acer JE50_HR (CPU1)
    Graphics
    Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
    Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    Hard Drives
    313GB Western Digital WDC WD3200BPVT-22ZEST0 (SATA) 33 °C
    Optical Drives
    MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8A0AS
    Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

2. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Sorry if this has already tried, but have you tried turning the settings down? See if you can run it then?

3. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Jake might be onto something mate, your specs dont list a specific graphics processor other than the onboard Intel chipset. Try toning things down to minimum spec and then going at it.

4. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Though I don't argue the above point, something else to keep in mind is the SP1 installed - which has caused such issues with many games.

5. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

SP1 hasn't caused any issues so far with me... Maybe that's just me because I'm one of the few people who's never had New Vegas throw a tantrum at me.

6. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

I dont see a discrete GPU listed? If this is accurate and you are intending to play on an integrated GPU then you may not be able to play the game at decent framerates.

Ive got no idea whether this is related to the problem, but thought i should bring it up.

7. barney magru

Ah forgot to pop the graphics card details on there : Intel® HD Graphics 3000.

And no guys, its not an issue with the ability of the graphics card to handle it. Firstly, its the 'Fallout 3 has stopped working' crash that so many people have trouble with when clicking new game on the menu. Secondly, I've been stunned by how great the graphics performance is on this laptop, so playing fallout3 with decent fps won't be an issue [and of course as mentioned, were it so it wouldn't cause that crash, it would just be painfully slow fps wise].

In terms of the performance of this card, a good example is the previous laptop I was using - the graphics left me only able to achieve 30fps on low settings on css, 15-20 (so unplayable) on fallout 3, and much the same with borderlands on lowest of the low settings..This one gives me 80-120 css high, everything maxed on borderlands and so will surely give me a playable fps on fallout3. Obviously, thats kind of irrelevant to my request here but just thought I'd give a shout out to how impressed I am by this lappy lol

A bargain too, acer aspire 5750 stock clearance at pcworld, was down from £400 to £260 for all of 1 hour on a friday morning couple of weeks back- crackin! ;)

8. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Listen, I understand you're fully expecting the laptop will handle it but you're not helping yourself if you refuse to even try lowering the settings first...

Like you said there are quite a few threads about it, I've personally never had that particular issue but I did get my fair share of random CTD's which I never managed to fix 100%.

I assume you have the latest drivers and DirectX redistributable freshly installed, then I'd just re-install the game really and see where that goes.

9. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

remember making some tweaks to the cvars for that game.. but it was so long ago, can't remember.. it had to do with the loading cache though while walking through the world

don't remember crashing on new game.. you could try giving it high priority in the task manager with something like powerstrip.. I do that with all my games, but it can help if your running background apps like browsers, messengers

10. barney magru

J firstly you're assuming I haven't tried lower settings, which indeed I have, the lowest infact, but as I point out anyway, this particular error is nothing to do with the graphics being able to perform with a reasonable graphics setting in place, its something to do with the application physically being able to run. Of course, this could be some sort of clash with the graphics chipset, but not to do with the level of detail its set to. But as I say either way lol I have it currently on lowest settings with everything off.

Oh and drivers, dx and reinstall all done, no joy. Keep em coming folks!

11. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Tried windowed mode? Sound driver issues? Disabled anti-virus/firewall? Sometimes it will be some very odd conflict. Apologies if these are things you tried already. I'm not aware of the fixes already posted on net. I had very few if any issues with Fallout 3.

12. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

actually, ive had FO3 crash (not just run slowly) due to under rated hardware before. when the cooler on my 5870 failed i had to use my backup card, a 4670, for a week. FO3 "auto detected" the highest settings and the game would crash with the "fallout 3 has stopped working" message at various points while attempting to load the game. turning the settings down one click was enough to get it running stable.

a 4670 is certainly more capable than your on-board graphics, so its possible that your hardware simply isnt up to the task of running the game.

i wouldnt stop looking for solutions though. there are several tweaks to the games ini files that improve performance and stability, such as allocating more RAM, allowing dual or quad core CPU usage, etc. a quick google-fu should set you up.