1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Warhammer 40K: Space Marine system requirements

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 30 Jun 2011.

1. Xir

Xir Modder

Yah...always on starts to be VERY annoying when you live in the back of beyond
    (like smack in the middle of Germany) :D
    I'm lucky to have broadband...but it's only been available for two years now

2. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

The point i was referring too mainly surroundings the-beasts comment re DRM is not so much downloading full games but having to have a constant uplink because of DRM is fine when you have unlimited monthly allowance, but not so much when there is a limit to how much usage you can have per month especially if you are like me who downloads alot, plays online alot and will soon have to monitor monthly useage.

For some reason because i highlighted steam is not practical in all circumstances people assumed i was bashing steam - I am not bashing steam nor am i a steam hater, i have steam now, i love it, i want its babies etc etc etc and i think its great to be able to download games rather than wait for them to arrive in the post and getting constant updates for games as they are released, however its on a serious practical note its designed for markets where unlimited broadband packages are available meaning its only designed for UK/US/euro markets as there are only a smattering of other countries worldwide where unlimited packages are available at a realistic consumer price......so having a game that requires DRM or a constant data uplink via steam just for some silly related rewards system they have on alot of there games is a pain in the A

Last edited: 1 Jul 2011
  3. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Those complaining about the bandwidth implications of having Steamworks as the DRM system for this title are really missing a couple of points:

1) Connecting to (and maintaining that connection to) the Steam servers for the DRM aspect of the game does, as previously mentioned, use Kilobytes, not Megabybtes. You could leave that game running all day long every day and you'd never even notice it affect your bandwidth usage, it's that minimal.

2) You say that the UK has "unlimited" bandwidth deals - but you're ignoring the "fair usage policy" employed by most ISPs. I pay the best part of £50 a month with Virgin for properly-unlimited cable broadband, so we are talking about the same sort of numbers here.

3) I hardly think a big American Hoo-ah company is going to hold back on digital distribution etc because certain countries are behind-the-times. If you don't want to buy it online, buy the retail boxed version....I really don't see the problem

4. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

There isn't really a problem i was simply raising another point of discussion to someone elses post and allaying to the fact in some circumstances steam isn't a solution for all and that DRM is a issue for some, for some reason people have latched onto it and wanted to start some sort of debate on it(guess they are bored or in need of a new game or something).

You mention that DRM will only use kbs which is correct, the issue with DRM is when you do go over your monthly allowance and can no longer play the game because of it till the following month...same with some steam games that requires a connection to play.....

I am not looking for pity or a way around it i was simply putting across another point that for some DRM is a issue...:rolleyes:

Last edited: 1 Jul 2011
  5. the-beast

the-beast What's a Dremel?

Going back to my previous comment, my gripe with steam is:

1. The DRM. I personally don't like asking permission to play something I have paid for and if my connection is down (which it is regularly because its rubbish) I can no longer install, activate and play the game. Offline mode if its available tends to only last a few days before steam wants to re-authenticate the games, because as you know i may have stolen it since it was last authenticated!
    2. Choice - With most steam games you can only get them on steam, the games are just not available without it
    3. Size - Steam games regularly only have part or non of the games on disk and because the best deal available to me has a small month limit, it would take the best part of 3/4 months to download an entire game. E.g. the latest COD
    4. Cost - Excluding the sales steam us always more expensive.

I don't have any issue with steam as a product. Its obviously great for people who have amazing internet connections and are willing to accept its limitations for its conveniences. What I do have a problem with is when its the only game in town and there is no other choice. Surely there are laws against that sort of thing?

6. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

When you say the "only game in town" are you refering to the only online game download supplier?

Because that is not the case there are other sites that allow game downloads, like direct2drive etc...there would not be a law against anyone can set up there own steam equivalent as long as you dont breach patents, it would be just few would want too with the costs of servers/suppling bandwidth for download, buying power for buying games from the makers and having customer recognition to turn a profit.

7. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

BTW, I like steam and have over 200 games on it, but it's fair to say it's got it's issues and it's not always the best way to buy your games even if you do have unlimited bandwidth, so research and shop around always!

For example, I decided to pre order the Wither 2 directly from GoG.com. I did this mostly because I wanted to support the publisher as much as possible and because it was novel to have a totally DRM free AAA on launch day. There was a part of me that was a little sad because I wanted it tied with my Steam account for future convenience and patches.

But, turns out that for some odd reason the way they had it set up on steam means people had to re download the entire game again for the patch on Steam, that's 9gigs compared to the 12mbs I had to download for the same content. Seems I did the right thing and now I've ditched my steam loyally for what ever is the best price I can get (and as long as I can redownload an unlimited amount of times like GoG.com)

Last edited: 2 Jul 2011
  8. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

Double Post

9. enciem

enciem Minimodder

I really like steam but it can be a bit useless if your internet drops out, half the games don't work. My mate didn't know you had to activate offline mode while your still connected and steam told him he just needed to connect quickly. With what? He'd just moved, he's not going to take his pc to wifi hotspot is he? Seems a bit daft to have to be online to activate offline mode properly.

Might get the game, looks pretty good so far.

10. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Trailer was really cheesy.

11. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

At least THQ didn't use GFWL like they did with the first two dawn of war games. Steamworks works for me! Now if only more games would ditch that crappy service so my future PC will never have to have it installed.

12. Xir

Xir Modder

Yah...offline only works when you's set thepassword to "remember"...which causes me to forget it by not using it :D

Tags: Add Tags