1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress SSR-X: Update - Bottom Cover Fiberglass Part 2/De-Mold

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cleveland216, 1 Jun 2011.

1. Cleveland216

Cleveland216 Carbon Fiber King

Thanks, I wanted to do an orginal design. At least, I think it hasn't been done before.

Hey bro thank. They are both equally complex:dremel: That fiberglass looks nasty though. I'm eager to get to the carbon fiber part of my case.

2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

What on earth is happening here :O

Definitely keeping an eye on this.

3. Cleveland216

Best comment ever, imo!

4. Cleveland216

Update: Wing Attachment

The bulkheads were the last pieces that needed to be fabricated in order to attach the wing to the Main/Radiator Compartments.

[​IMG]

Got them attached.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally attached the wing to the Radiator Compartment. When the Radiator is installed it should bring rigidity and support to the entire wing structure. When the skin is applied to the entire case, this will theoricatically reinforce the entire structure, though, I dont want to depend on the case cover.

I may make some other bulkhead brackets to reinforce the Radiator Compartment, if the radiator fails to bring proper support to the wing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Cleveland216

update: right wing

Its been a moment since I have logged. Been busy with writing a paper on possible climate change. In the time I could spare, I worked on SR-X. I pretty much had the left wing done, so I started work on the right wing.

I already cut-out the pieces for the Radiator Compartment frames. I just need to fab up the bulkheads for the right side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I re-worked the process in the way I would build the right wing. I didnt want to cut and make each bracket by itself since that can be very time consuming. So I just took the angle and pre-measured each bracket and hole and than drilled the whole angle at once. Once the angle was drilled with the small holes than I could take the bulkheads and pencil in where the holes had to be on each bulkhead. From there it was re-drill to bigger hole to accomdate the binding post and cut each bracket off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made special marks to keep the brackets from getting out of order. Further long, I just went to numbering the brackets. I may stamp each bracket and frame piece in the future to ease down the possible confusion that can happen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I turned to installing the front main bulkhead for the Main Compartment. I had to re-work the bracket design, so some of the old holes will not be used anymore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, now comes the part that modders dread. When you made something and it is completely WRONG!:wallbash: That is what happened when I started to finally assemble the right wing and one bulkhead was not lining up. I had to go over my Sketchup blueprint and saw that the bulkheads were completely upside down from how they should have been. TO the Trash with those.

BAD

[​IMG]

How is technically should be

[​IMG]

After some re-cutting and drilling. I did manage to start to piece back together the right wing assembly with the left wing assembly needing to be completely re-done. :wallbash: Some times, things just happen.

Here is what is done so far, Now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

That looks bloody awesome!

7. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

That thing looks HUGE!!!!, can't wait to see it all put together....mmmh carbon-fiber yummy. should look quite stealthy

8. Cleveland216

Thanks for your support!

Yes it does:thumb: It wont fit in my Trailblazer when it is done. Guess it is going on the roof

9. Warsmith

Warsmith Enginseer

Loving this build! I do have one question though. Where you gonna put this behemoth when its finished?

10. Cleveland216

Thanks for the support. I'm still figuring that out!! Maybe wall mount or something

11. Shael

Shael What's a Dremel?

now all you need to do is get some mini jet engines, remote control and a weapon system and use your new pc to blow up your foes for real when online.

Defiantely starting to see how it looks now. Good work keep it up :thumb:

12. bboybaker

bboybaker What's a Dremel?

I want to see more upgrades, good job :thumb:

13. Cleveland216

Update: Weekend

Weekend Update! Over this past weekend, which is Independence Day here in the USA, I had time to work on SR-X. I did little bits of work over the past week.

I was able to finally get done both wing assemblies and mount them. I ran out of binding post during the week and it jus so happened that I was going to be going by their facility. I stopped in and picked up 250 more binding post.

I drugged SR-X outside and took some pics of the corrected frame. Also gives reference to how big SR-X is.

[​IMG]

It wont fit in back!

[​IMG]

The inner frame brackets for the Main Compartment were up next on the fabrication block. I failed epically the first two times around in trying to get the angles and bends right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally got it right on the third try

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I left the aluminum panel in the pic to put pressure on the frame. I needed both of my hands to take the pic.

[​IMG]

There will be two frame pieces. I ran out of material so I'm dead in the water till this week. These pieces will be modified even more to accomodate the cover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm looking at landing gear right now from RC models:dremel: hhhmmm

yassarikhan786 likes this.
  14. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

nice aircraft :D been looking a little bit on F-117A maybe? anyway, love it! :D :clap:

15. Stem83

Stem83 Addicted to modding.

impressive.

16. Cleveland216

Thanks, Stay Tuned, its only going to get more interesting!!! Just got to get this climate paper done, so I work on it more.

Thanks bro

17. bboybaker

bboybaker What's a Dremel?

Great spaceship mod :thumb:

18. Shael

Shael What's a Dremel?

very nice work :thumb: Plz tell me this is going to hang from the ceiling when its completed so it hovers above the desk :lol: :hehe:

19. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Interesting, but god those fixings are horrible! They're grossly outsize and the slot is archaic compared to the rest of the design, which is just right for an aircraft. I hope we won't be able to see any of them when it's all done?

Alternatively, have you considered bonding all this stuff together? They make aluminium adhesives these days that will withstand enormous force.

20. Cleveland216

Thanks bro. Lol, ya I have a small apartment that already looks like a mad computer labortary. I'll 3M it to the wall like mnpctech did to their one computer at their window. Hold on Hold on, I'll set-up a poll when done and get some ideas or something:)

There are two intentions here. One is that the Core structure must be able to withstand a vaccum infusion process. A vaccum with put alot of force onto any substructure, so I needed a solid Core when the Carbon Fiber-TI composite goes down. Secondly, it is for looks. On real aircraft they use rivets, more or less. My intention was to use rivets, though, due to clearance and assembly issues, I chose these binding post. Which in some effect give the same feel and look.

When the vaccum infusion is done, I may remake some of the wing structure to bring the wieght down and incorporate possible hardware into the wing's. I dont know yet, cause I"m just not at the point to decide. Jus stay tuned

Last edited: 5 Jul 2011