1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IMF chief arrested

Discussion in 'Serious' started by thehippoz, 16 May 2011.

1. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I see this more that they can't prove him guilty than that he can prove he's innocent.

But hey, innocent until proven guilty.

2. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Don't those two statements clash? I think he's guilty but they just can't prove it vs we should assume his innocence until we can prove otherwise.

If you don't like the way the courts work, you take steps to change them. Until then, you are innocent until proven guilty. Maybe he's a bad boy, maybe not - but the onus is on the prosecution to make the case. You can't go around saying 'he is probably guilty but they just cant prove it'...

3. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I wonder if she seduced him, and then once she's got his rocks off, she mentions how if he doesn't give her $xxxxxx, she'll claim rape. He says "OMGWTFBBQUBIATCH!!!!" and she tells him "I'll give you a a few minutes to think about it" After cleaning the next room, he still hasn't come around, so off to the lawyers she goes. [/conspiracy theory]

4. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

In the US you are innocent until proven guilty. If you cannot prove guilt then have a nice life you are free to go.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Alternatively he took advantage of her, and she, being a lowly immigrant refugee with a dubuous history, is reluctant to make a fuss about it. After all, she's seen and been subjected to worse back home. Later she breaks down however and tells her line manager. Before she knows it only one of the richests and most powerful men in the world --who is leaving in a rather a hurry-- is hauled off the plane, and the whole thing goes crazy.

Different story, just as much conjecture.

6. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

She has a criminal background btw. Apparently £60,000 put in her bank account by drug dealer?

Not saying that that adds to HER guilt, but certainly saying she isn't as squeaky as some would like to believe.

7. Nexxo

If she has such ties with drug dealers, why would she draw undue attention to herself by this stunt? If she was just turning tricks and blackmailing some rich old white guy, without realising who he was, why would he run?

Come to think of it, why would he have consensual sex with a chamber maid? And since we're on to dubious backgrounds, why would a French writer accuse him of accosting her? She does know what powerful man she is accusing, and the risks of that.

His lawyers are doing what layers are paid to do best: if you cannot exonerate your client, discredit the accuser. The prosecution now thinks that they won't be able to make it stick in court so they are evaluating their options.

Last edited: 2 Jul 2011
  8. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Just to add to the pile of mess on this case, it's worth noting that it was the prosecution's investigations that turned up much of the new information about the girl. So it's not really a bunch of shady defense lawyers tarring her good name. It is the prosecution that originally came forward with all the claims against the maid.

9. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

clearly even with the case thrown out people seem to think hes guilty.

personally i tihnk ill give him the benefit of the doubt but i cant be sure.

in law it is innocent will proven guilty BUT unfortunately in this day and age in the public and papers its guilty until proven innocent

10. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

His lawyers didn't come out with any of it. The prosecution came out with all this, and said publically that they are no longer able/willing to use her testimony in court. The drug dealer thing is true, too (also confirmed by the prosecution).

Which (I assume?) leaves the DNA evidence, and then Strauss-Kahn saying it was consentual. Can't imagine there's any other substantial evidence if the prosecution have decided not to use their main witness?

It is all just conjecture as you say, but the fact that it's 100% from the prosecution is somewhat interesting.

11. Nexxo

Not necessarily so. Strauss-Kahn's lawyers have sought advice from a Washington consultancy, TD International, which is run by former CIA officers and American diplomats. Sources close to Strauss-Kahn's team have been leaking gossip and information to New York reporters. The New York Post released a story alleging that the maid was a prostitute placed at the hotel by her labour union. The story was sourced only to someone close to Strauss-Kahn's defence and presented no evidence to back the claims. The union involved called the story "absurd".

So it's messier and messier. She did lie on several occasions to be granted immigration status, to access housing for the poor. She may be involved with dodgy criminals. But all that appears to have been to get by --if she had access to tens of thousands of drug money, she would not be cleaning hotel rooms. The question is: why would she lie about this accusation? Her past lies would be exposed and she'd be discredited and would risk conviction and deportation.

And why would the head of the IMF even have sex with a chamber maid? Why would he then leave in such a hurry? It all doesn't add up.

Last edited: 3 Jul 2011
  12. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Occam's Razor. Sure it's fun to believe in all these conspiracies, but in all likelihood the situation is as reported.

Being open-minded means being prepared to accept *any* conclusion that is suitably supported by facts, and not simply being prepared to believe some random alternative that fits in nicely with your preconceptions.

There is still a lot of mileage in this case, but eventually we'll get a verdict and the verdict will probably be correct. And the mundane reality will probably NOT involve drug kingpins, unions, the INS, or a conspiracy by the New Word Order to free one of their own.

13. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

In a translated recorded interview (since phone calls to/from US prisoners are recorded), she apparently said:

"Don't worry, this guy has a lot of money. I know what I am doing"

So I assume, money. Or more money than her friend/boyfriend in jail has. Which could explain why she's now considering shedding her (hidden) identity and going to the media with her story...

I agree with cjmUK that Occam's Razor is usually best in these cases - conspiracy theories are fun to think about (especially when rich people are involved...), but the case is falling apart due to the prosecution basically saying she's a big liar and a verdict either way will almost definitely end up being the correct result.

He seems to be a womanizer, so why wouldn't he? :)

And why would he leave in a hurry? Perhaps he was running late? Or she turned around and threatened/bribed him?

14. Nexxo

Still not convinced. I'm not saying there is a conspiracy theory --there is none. I only pointed out that both sides have been discrediting her.

The prosecutors are, because they have burned their fingers before on a similar case a few years ago in which two police officers were accused of assaulting a black prostitute. She turned out to have lied, the jury refused to convict and someone in the DA office lost his job over it. So they are super cautious now.

The chamber maid came clean herself on a lot that the DA now knows, but stands by her rape allegation. In the recorded interview you mention, she stands by her version of events. There are also the physical genital injuries she sustained.

It is conceivable that the chamber maid is just plain dumb and greedy. After all I find it harder to believe that Strauss-Kahn would risk his political career over sex with a random chamber maid and that is what he admits to, so I guess she could be an idiot as well. People are stupid, after all.

Here is what I think happened: it started out as a consensual ******** for money. A bit of morning delight to start the day for him, so to speak, and some pocket money for her. Why not? He is a womaniser, she is a circumcised refugee from dictatorial Guinea, where as recent as in 2009 soldiers went on a rampage of rape and murder. She has seen, done and been subjected to a lot worse in her time.

But I suspect he lost control over himself and took it a lot further than they had agreed. Perhaps he was brutal and abusive. Perhaps he humiliated her. Either way: he decided that perhaps it was best to make a swift exit, while she was left, perhaps first in shock, then perhaps seething with rage, about what had just happened: sge went through all the hardship of becoming a refugee in the US just to be treated the same as back home! Perhaps her reaction is half overspill from a traumatic past.

So both have their story. He says it was consensual; she says it was rape. I suspect that when she made the allegation, she had no idea of who he was; just some rich old white guy. Prosecutors are getting cold feet because they cannot present her as a pure, innocent virgin violated, which is what a black-and-white thinking, conservative jury wants to see, and they know that they are up against a fierce and powerful defence team. To release this onformation about her is really just to pre-empt the defense team and stopping them from making the prosecutors look like fools. I'm sure there is also some politics behind the scenes to resolve this political nightmare ASAP.

Last edited: 3 Jul 2011
  15. leveller

Maybe they've been discrediting her for a reason other than he's rich? Like maybe, she's not creditable?
    :thumb:

Seems, I'm thinking it's a conspiracy that Strauss has been destroyed at the most important part of his career, and his opposition are pretty smug :naughty: ... And you think it's a conspiracy because he's on the rich list and powerful and can afford to pay off some **** that blew him off.

I wonder if anyone will really know the truth and accept it?

16. Nexxo

I think I just said that it wasn't a conspiracy. It was a case of "when two stupid people collide". If he wasn't such an important guy this case would probably have been discreetly dropped by now, but the whole world is watching... The DA office is just trying to back out because even if she is right, no jury will believe her. But the Strauss-Kahn defence team wants this defeat to be as public as possible because it more obviously exonerates their client.

17. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

18. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

It has some interesting parallels to the Julian Assange case where the majority of the forum members were more willing to believe he was innocent. ;)

19. leveller

... and vice-versa ;)

20. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian