1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Overclocking a Q9550 on a 790i ultra sli

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Bad_cancer, 4 Jul 2011.

1. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

Hi. I am a complete idiot when it comes to overclocking. And I need some help to overclock the above system. I can't get it stable. It is stable most of the time but sometimes it crashes and sometimes it doesn't boot.

Can someone help me out? I read the guides, but can't seem to wrap my head round it. :(

2. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

First step would be to post up what settings you have at the moment......

Voltage
    multiplier
    bus speed
    etc
    etc

We can take it from there. If its not stable, then it might need more voltage. But without knowing what speed you have overlocked too, and what voltage you are currently using, it would be bad advise to just say 'up the voltage'

Post up your settings bud.

Also, it is important to have a good temperature monitoring program at the ready. Core temp is good, also get yourself Prime 95 (for when your ready to stress test) and CPUz to help read the mainboard + CPU settings once in windows.

3. Bad_cancer

Okay. I knew I had to post my settings, but didn't know what to put up. (should have mentioned this earlier right? ) :sigh:

Okay i'll get on it tonight. I have all those monitoring programs and stress testers ready.

4. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

No worries matey - Its all part of the learning process!

Get to the extreme tweaker page, or at least a page that shows your multiplier (x20 for example) and your voltage.

This might be set as auto? if so it needs to be manual so that you can tinker with the settings.

It might be an idea to just post a screenshot of the bios screen.

Post back if you get stuck

5. Bad_cancer

Okay got some screenies here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here we go.

memory clock mode is unlocked because I had some issues some days ago and wanted to see what happened with it like that.

6. ajaxsirius

ajaxsirius What's a Dremel?

Omg! Another mauritian overclocking and with the same processor as me! Ki position? I was googling info on overclocking my own Q9550 since I was worried the temps & humidity in PL would cause issues and was surprised to find this thread.

How did your overclock attempt go?

7. Bad_cancer

hey. Nice to see a Mauritian here too :D
    As you can see I got it to 3.2 but it isn't entirely stable. Sometimes it doesn't boot and I'm not too sure how to handle it.

As for cooling I have a coolermaster hyper n 520 with some arctic silver paste and although a little loud and not the best cooler out there it keeps it nice and cool so I have no issues with heat. I also live in Vacoas and near a river, but I have no probs with humidity.

I would definitely recommend an aftermarket cooler with that cpu, but other than that I can't help much more. :(
    I'm looking for help myself.

8. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

From the screenies it looks like you don't have access to the CPU multi, so your only way to OC is through FSB, which is dependant on the North Bridge and probably causing the instability... You could try bumping up the NB (pretty sure it's the "nForce MCP") voltage one tiny notch and retesting. I was going to say it also affects RAM speed as well which might cause it to run over spec requiring to either up voltage and/or loosen timings, but I assume the "Memory Clock mode - Unlinked" means it's locked separately and so not an issue. Not very familiar with those boards sorry.