1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice A little help with my build if you please!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coolicus, 7 Jul 2011.

1. coolicus

coolicus What's a Dremel?

Hey Guys!

I've got everything and am just in my kitchen building my new gaming machine (and the first pc I've ever self built) but I really don't understand how I access the motherboard 1155 socket - the first step in the manual is to turn/unscrew 5 screws but I don't see any :S?

Just to clarify basically I need to be able to lift up the cover/remove the socket protector to be able to insert my CPU - how 0.o.

Also what is the best way to hold my motherboard if I need to move it? Holding the part that slots into the IO shield and one of the heat sinks?

Thanks in advance - hope you understand what I'm talking about

2. Lassar

Lassar Lean Mean Fighting Machine !

Welcome to the world of PC building.....

In order to get the CPU slot cover off there is a small silver leaver at the side of the socket. Pull it sightly away and it should pop up. The CPU box will have better instructions for CPU installation than the motherboard... unless you bought OEM then you will have to look online for detailed diagrams.

You can only put the processor in the socket one way so dont worry about that and when closing the retainer over the socket its quite stiff and takes a bit of force so dont panic if it seems its going down harder than it came up.

Regards handing the motherboard personally I place the edges in my palms or hold onto the RAM Dimms.

Before handling anything though I always touch my case to discharge any static that may have built up.

Have fun :D

There is only one

3. Lassar

BTW what HSF are you using? Stock? That could be what the 4 screws are ?!? Fine to hold the motherboardby the I/O Shield area however it could make it a little more difficult when screwing to the stand offs if your left handed !

It's kind of spring loaded.... you will see what I mean ;D

4. coolicus

Thank you for your quick reply!

Yeah I made an arse of myself I just wasn't being forceful enough with the level so it seemed like it was stuck fast!

Anyway after worrying that I had broken it I have managed to fit the cpu successfully into its socket but now I'm getting insane resistance trying to move the lever back :S?

I've lined up the gold arrow with the dot at the appropriate corner?

Do I just go for it and really push it down?

5. coolicus

Okay I've got the lever back in its starting position but I didnt hear a click of any kind? It just took some force :/?

I'm going to be installing the coolermaster hyper 212+ btw :p

6. Lassar

As I said it is pretty stiff..... give it some welly.... within reason.

In addition to the gold arrow + dot there are a couple of notches also slightly off centre (these are on 1366 for defo) as an additional fail safe.

Im not there so I cannot see what your looking at but as long as everything is lined up correctly as per manual then go for it.

7. Lassar

It does not click like the old AMD boards used to. The click I think was the slot gripping the pins... no click... as no pins :D

Regards HSF... kinda happy about that as the stock Intel HSF is a git to install... and crap as well... have fun !

8. coolicus

Hate to sound like a dolt but im having trouble installing my HSF now :p

The coolermaster instruction video on you tube doesn't really help either :|

Do you have any useful links or videos or tips :p

All I have done so far is adjust the retention type thing to the correct socket shape and move the screws on it to the correct position.

I know i have to put the standoffs on the motherboard now but I'm having lots of trouble doing this and then trying to fit the backplate :|?

Argh :p

9. Lassar

Never used this HSF so cant comment sorry.....

Motherboard Standoffs are fun... depending on the case sometimes the screw threads are pants and other times to big/small.....

Put the backplate into the case and then place the mother board at a 45 degree angle to the back plate and jimmy it into place. The Backplate is slighty springy so you may have to push it home. Once in place screw the motherboard to the stand offs starting on the edge furthest away from the backplate.

You want to fit your HSF before screwing the motherboard to the case though.... especially if you have a backplate !

10. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

Don't for get to put thermal paste on the cpu

11. Lassar

This is a major major thing !! Well pointed out Donok as a quick google reveals that this CPU Cooler does not have pre-applied paste !

12. coolicus

Hey guys I've bit the bullet and mounted the stock HSF for now and I've got all the pats finally mounted in my case and am almost ready to start wiring it up but my HAF X's 2.5" ssd bracket doesn't seem to fit my Crucial - well it will fit in the bracket but there are litttle bits of plastic at the bottom of the bracket that seem to make it impossible to level the ssd with the screw holes :S?

I would really appreciate any help!

13. coolicus

Ah it seems you mount it upside down in the bracket - but then what screws should I use to fix it in place :S :p

Sorry for being a noob!

14. Lassar

We're were all noobs once !

Go through the bag of screws that were supplied with your case. You want screws with a short thread. If the screw seems too tight when screwing in its the wrong screw !!!! Dont force it as you will strip the threads.

You may have got it all built by now? Give us all some photos :D

15. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

The screw holes might be on the side? They were with my SSD and mounting tray.