1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Bit-tech launches Android app

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 7 Jul 2011.

1. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

you know the life expectancy of a paid app before someone releases the apk to a download site right? usually no more than a week, good luck with those sales :eyebrow:

2. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

£1.79 is a lot of money to make the website nicer and forums actually useable on devices that cost people about £3-400?

3. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

If you are doing alright in these financial times then yes £1.79 isn't a lot of money. If you living on a shoestring budget because the price of everything has gone up and your wage/salary has stayed the the same or even been reduced then £1.79 just doesn't seem justifiable for something which your device can roughly do for free. A free ad supported version would seem sensible for a company/business that I am assuming has built itself and run itself on selling advertisment space.

4. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Living on a shoestring budget with an Android smartphone?

5. braincake

braincake What's a Dremel?

just make a stripped out mobile version of the site with adverts. a la engadget.

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Tapatalk was updated for me yesterday, try a manual update on it.

7. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Desire hd for free on £20 a month a contract which I signed when times were a bit better. Android smartphones on long contracts are surprisingly cheap.

8. dmfcoops

dmfcoops What's a Dremel?

wow! a lot of people moaning about paying £1.79 for someone else's hard work. What a bunch of tightwads.
    How is the app developer supposed to feed his kids and pay his mortgage if no-one is prepared to pay the huge sum of £1.79 for his toils?
    It's a decent little app and I don't begrudge giving the lads at bit-tech £1.79 for their hard work. Well done.

9. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

How much the device initially costs is not a valid argument. My phone was free with my contract so does that mean I should expect free apps all the time? I don't mind paying for apps but I don't really see what this one offers for the high price, just release a version that has ads and so many more people would use it!

Plus the forums are just using Tapatalk which I already own as it allows me to access loads of forums.

10. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

This logic also applies to businesses, both ours, and those who advertise with us. Times are difficult and as a result we're looking at forming new revenue streams. I know a lot of you think we're rolling in piles of money here at bit-tech but that simply isn't the case. Advertisers are feeling the pinch too.

Having said this we perfectly understand if you can't afford the app. We're not putting a gun to your head here, merely offering you another, hopefully more convenient way to interact with the site.

11. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Confuses me as well. Been looking into getting a smartphone lately and have been weighing my options. One of the frequently claimed advantages of going with an Android platform is free apps. While that's certainly nice I don't get why it's such a big deal, I'm comfortable spending a dollar or two to compensate someone for their work, particularly when it removes ads.

12. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

having used the beta I prefer to read the actual website with opera.

13. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

i tried the app out but using opera mini or skyfire or slower if your on 2g google browser works fine

i agree on the makeing some very simple changes to the site when it detects its an mobile device in use like no boarders on the left of the screen is all i would like to change,

1. there is an 3-4mm gap even as i am posting now on the desktop and reading now there is an gap and that makes scrolling up and down with finger bit annoying some times as cuts off the text on the right but then you move it over to far and cuts the left text off all it needs is very minor edit to the site to remove the white side boarders (or set it to 1mm or less) when on mobile device is detected

2. use static adverts when mobile is detected (harder to do really, but as a lot of your ads are flash my desktop or mobile device never sees them as they do not load i have to click on them to make the ad load, i use Opera just enable enable plugins on demand (under content) Chrome load Flash Block (extension) works an treat at lowering ram use so i recommend you telling you ad company's to stop using lame flash ads)

other topic if you want consistency on phones get an

iphone (and pay by the balls make sure you got insurance as you Will brake it o and after 1-2 years expect apple to no longer support you (but same thing can be sayed for Android as well as only HTC seem to be interested in keeping the phones updated Android OS wise and even when they are interested you mobile network mite not be and not push the update out)

or windows 7 phone (cheaper) Very consistent you know what ever you buy (Samsung HTC LG what ever) it be the same smooth experience between any win7 phone mainly due to every thing is GPU assisted on windows 7 phone even picture viewing is Super fast that not even an dual core android phone can match (mainly due to all win7 phone are same Spec in side CPU and GPU side any way) my next phone upgrade most likely be an HTC 7 Mozart or Samsung Omnia 7 (Orange only have them two phones at the moment)

if you want more freedom get an android phone (1Ghz with 512mb ram and 1gb usable internal storage or it be crap some phones come with 128mb internal storage they are an waste of time avoid them) main problem with android the fragmented phone hardware and updates for the phone can some times take an year to come out (network not push new updates or phone makers taking 1 year to bring an last years OS update out SONY) like Slow storage space (sony X10 goes crap slow when Writes happen) or doggy GPS (most samsung Android phones GPS is glitchy not win7 phone), i have an HTC desire works grate on T-mobile (but not perfect as it come with 128mb storage space thats not really enough even with A2D)

the comment about the desire i am guessing your talking about HTC desire {not s} i have no issues at all using bit-tech site under Opera mini or Google browser on my phone

Last edited: 8 Jul 2011
  14. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

FINALLY.....But theres no way I'll pay almost £2 for something I can get for free on my mobile browser. I've never had an issue, even on my Hero, with using the forums with the standard Android Browser.

Also the iGizmo app is free, so why do Dennis charge for the bit-tech android app?

15. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Sorry Bit-Tech, I like to be supportive, but +1 to that. Especially as there's no way to try before you buy. Those of us that haven't used the beta have no way of knowing how good the app is.
    I'd be happy to use a free ad supported version in the future if your advertising revenues pick up.

16. the_kille4

the_kille4 Chaos will rule da world.eventually

first I thought YAY!1!1!1!1!...but that soon turned to glum disappointment... do you want to know why??? because it is not FREE...don't worry though... I'm sure someone will post a FREE version..soon...I hope

17. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

You have 15 minutes from download to get a refund mate so you can give it a try. I did and then un-installed. I would pay the money if it offered full integration with the website but it doesn't.

18. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

... Think you ment cue the android backlash!

I downloaded the iPhone/ IPad cpc mag with one months free trial to see what it was like. It needs to mature a bit before I'd invest in digital the digital mag as it is awkward to use, the use of multitouch is poorly optimised. It's like the magazine is a PDF so the iOS controls can't distinguish between text and picture so zoom is useless and has to be manually controlled

The bit-tech website on the other hand, being a website is perfectly usable and easy to navigate with iOS. I laughed the first time the this forum is iPhone native if u buy an app message popped up as the forum is pretty much iPhone native without the app. Therefor when this does arrive for iPhone it'd want to be a significant and control friendly improvement over the website to make me invest. If a premium is to be charged it should come with a weeks trial before purchase to prove/ disprove the benefits of the app

19. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

No QR code to scan? Really? How... Apple of you Bit-Tech.

20. oatey4519

oatey4519 can't be arsed...

:duh::lol:

Tags: Add Tags