1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Crysis 2 DirectX 11 Patch Analysis

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 8 Jul 2011.

1. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Hm, that's some hefty requirements. My SSD is tiny, so I doubt I could install the game on it, I don't meet the 8GB of RAM recommendation and my GTX 560Ti is probably too puny. Boo! The only thing I'm good for is the CPU...

2. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Didnt buy Crysis 2 on release for the surprising lack of DX11, bought it later on, started playing when the 1.9 and DX11 and HR textures packs were released.
    The game is beautiful but the gameplay is boring. Its a step back from Crysis 1.

3. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Time to order my new graphics card!!!!

4. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Speed is still there. Hold down shift. Strength still there (kicking a car across a parking lot isn't something I can do in real life). Shooting whilst remaining cloaked? Couldn't do that in any Crysis version. As soon as you shoot or throw a grenade you lose cloak.

To the dude who said it's boring to play?

Not boring on my PC with body vibration. Lot of fun. I would say the game needs more than my 20 inch Samsung though. It needs a larger screen to do it justice.

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Crysis 2 is not as good as Crysis 1

I have spoken, we're done here.

/thread

6. DaBigDog

DaBigDog What's a Dremel?

Yes the screen shots look amazing, but realistically what % of gamer's can play it at their monitors native resolution with all the bells and whistles turned on (a very small % methinks, the steam hardware survey might help here).
    Why are people getting so excited about graphics they are NEVER going to see in game, it's quite ironic that there are a large number of screen shots in this article as for most people their frame rate will be like a slide show if they try and see that level of detail.
    Don't get me wrong I applaud technical innovation and have been gaming since the Atari VCS so can appreciate the development of in game graphics, but I spend @£300 on a graphics card every 18 months and I still couldn't play this game as it should be seen, even when my card is new!
    Maybe there should be a new rule, you judge how a game looks only at a playable frame rate on on standard test system (as well as your usual "balls out" super system), not how it could potentially look in 2-3 years time when the hardware is able to the appreciate the games potential.

7. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

I think cyrtek are hyping it so people buy the game more as a benchmarking/system test tool than anything else. It not near as demanding comparative to the original crysis was for the time.

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

That's true, the original killed systems for a long time after release until the hardware finally caught up. I'd love to upgrade my system, but it was only built in February this year, and I really can't justify the outlay on another new GPU and pricey large SSD.

9. xela333

xela333 What's a Dremel?

Just started reinstalling this on my SSD. Need to give my new GTX 570 a good workout and this patch seems best to do it.

10. feathers

feathers Minimodder

A friend of mine is running the game on full settings on his GTX 460, Q6600 @ 3.4ghz. 4gb DDR2 memory. He said the game runs well at 1080 on his BenQ 3d monitor. So I don't know what spec machines some of you have but I guess they must be pretty poor.

Probably not a good idea to run AA on low spec hardware.

11. Anneon

Anneon What's a Dremel?

I personally held off buying this till the price came down due to the unfavourable reactions i've read. I recently purchased it at a knockdown price of £15 at a local store. Although not as cheap as I intended to purchase it the DX11 and enchancements that were released swayed me to pick it up.
    What can I say. Looks amazing, very difficult to play (is it just me or are the enemies hard to distiguish against the backdrops?). Put it down after 2 or 3 hours and uninstalled.
    Over 2 GB of a patch and still not a patch on the original.

12. feathers

feathers Minimodder

It's just you. Perhaps you have a badly calibrated monitor? I have no probs seeing enemy. Graphics are clear and detailed. Unreasonable complaint dismissed.

13. DbD

DbD Minimodder

He's got a bit of a little dictator thing going on there these days - he preaches, you agree/keep quiet or you leave/get banned.

I would say crysis 2's requirements with the DX11 patch are pretty similar to crysis 1's. I have an o/c GTX 570 and it's the first card I've owned capable of playing crysis 1 at max settings at 1920*1080, and in crysis 2 @ ultra I get an average fps in the 40's so it's about right for that as well.

Considering when crysis 1 came out the top card was the 8800 GTX I think if they'd done the same for crysis 2 the GTX 580 would be getting about 5 fps.

14. salesman

salesman Minimodder

I like the screenshot showing shadow detail on ultra is completely missing the top of the light pole. I guess the shadows do get softer the further distance away there are.

15. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

On Page 5, the tesselation on/off comparison, look at the corner brick textures on the left-hand side of the window - they don't line up around the corner.

16. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

My setup runs crysis 2 maxed out at 6030x1080, min 30, max 60 (vsync on), avg 45fps. That is with a 4.4ghz OC on 990x and stock clocks on my 580's.

Cheers,

Simon.

17. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

You should see the hardocp.com review of the patch. If there is ever such a thing as a flame-explosion it has occured there :p

18. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

Thanks for your numbers.
    I wonder if my 6950s' 2GB vram would grant better numbers.
    AMD's still polishing their drivers though ...

19. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Oh yes, I see. HardOCP had problems installing it to start with. I have the EA DVD version. Didn't have any problems installing it on either of my win 7's and no crashing so far (probably nearing the end of the single player campaign now). I agree that the patch should have been part of the game from day 1 and what kind of dumbass decides to release PC demo version with auto aim enabled? It's a shame consoles have come to dominate the gaming industry. It doesn't seem very long ago that the PS3 had been released and already it's looking rather old and outclassed by latest PC hardware. Consoles suck and they suck the PC gaming industry and result in a much lower standard of game.

For me the PC version of Crysis 2 is a lot of fun and great to look at so I don't care really. Already half way through 2011 and I can't think of many memorable pc games this year. Portal 2 was fun but perhaps even that was negatively impacted by release on console too. Dumbass console gamers with their 3rd person thumb pad games.

20. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

Pfffffffffffffffffffff! Could they have given us a more middle of the road dumbed down cliche ridden guff bag?

Screenshot comparison = almost no difference. Their point vindicated.

Spend any time hanging around hardocp, you'll find out it's a kookey outfit. The editors say what they think. Reckon his conduct is soo childish? They lost a bunch of Nvidia advertising money from this, to state their opinions. They did not let a bag of money stop them saying what they believe in. Huge kudos for that, and for their integrity. They tell you exactly what they think 100% of the time.

+This

Then you don't get being a PC enthusiast. You post on hardware or software threads, that makes you an enthusiast.

That's such BS. You get banned by either _spamming_ threads with incessant droning on and on shouting people down, or through insulting other posters.

Tags: Add Tags