1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. Xir

Xir Modder

If you want to stick with Bridgestone, the BT023 are their version of the Pilot Road.
    I have the BT021 (predecessor) and they're not bad, seenm to have a long life, and good grip.
    They've arrived at Pilot Road 3 now :D

2. Chr!s

Chr!s What's a Dremel?

Only the wet grip has improved on the PR3s and they even more expensive.

3. Yorkie

Yorkie Minimodder

BT021's are good tyres, have one on the back of my Fazer which is due for replacing, and I would recommend them for longevity and grip, I will probably pick up a part worn (being cheaper) when it does finally die though.

With bike tyres as long as you get similar spec tyres you will be fine, I have a Maxxis Touring tyre on the front which has never been a problem with the BT021 on the Rear, also make sure you don't mix and match radial tyres with cross ply tyres as they can cause problems.

4. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I have BT021s on my Diversion and the only times they've slipped are on gravel and on a cattle grid in the wet going uphill. Can't comment on their longevity though.

5. Xir

Xir Modder

I thought in England you needed all the wet grip you can possibly get :D

6. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I think the best one's I ever used on my old Gixxer 1100wp and my Thunderace was the bridgestone BT56's and that was for grip and long lasting

Want I want to do with my Thunderace is put in a set of upside down forks. Someone in Germany got it done have see if I can get a pair

7. RTT

RTT #parp

Thunderace... old school! Lovely bikes too, I remember when they were new!

8. aradreth

aradreth What's a Dremel?

I actually have the equation for tip in and required lean angle V tire thickness I should dig them out to see if I've completely lost it - wouldn't be the first time!

Away how those bikes have been stretched you'll suffer problems in high speed corners with regard to understeer/oversteer because of the weight distribution which is why I think a atom or caterham would corner far better.

Hopefully someday a bike will come out will a good amount on all three (the Daytona isn't far off perfect for me)

Grats on the pass enjoy the Honda it's a awesome bike.

33hp is plenty to have fun and in two years you'll have a complete new bike for free.

The sensation on speed on a naked bike makes it feel as if you are going faster but I wouldn't say more aggressive. However it varies so much from bike to bike and I've never ridden either so. :p

Your comment about the top end is why a lot of people recommend twins over inline 4s to restrict as it is far less noticeable as you still have a good amount of torque.

9. aradreth

Thunderace is/was awesome. Guy I ride with has a Thundercat - wish I had his tank range...

10. Chr!s

Chr!s What's a Dremel?

11. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

There are many factors to take into account when trying to calculate a bike tyre's performance, not just the thickness. The tyre profile and strength are very important, among other factors.

Yeah but it would still be better than a Harley for example, so it's still pretty good!
    Sure it would be far easier for an unexperienced driver to go faster in an Atom or Caterham than an unexperienced rider on a Harley...

..but it wouldn't be hard for a skilled rider to keep up with an atom or caterham, on a good Harley, and the stretched Hyabusa is a faster and more agile bike than any Harley ever released.

12. aradreth

His front tire failed a while later causing a crash so it looks more like a bad batch - quality control shouldn't allow for a bad batch on something as important as motorcycle tyres. However I'm more interested how the company handles the situation.

It is impractical to look at every variation that can occur in a tyre when designing a bike so an engineer looks more closely at the ones that will be fixed, like thickness.

If the rider and driver are of similar skill levels then the stretched Busa won't keep up unless there is a large amount of long straights - depending on the track those cars wont be far of a litre sports bike.

13. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

the only frustration is the 5speed gearbox

14. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

Passed Mod 2 this morning! :) Only one minor for a late signal. Just really annoying that I now have to save up to get a bike... Doh. Oh for a little more income.

julianmartin likes this.
  15. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Yamaha have 0% finance on all 600cc+ machines at the moment, just sayin'. ;)

How many minors (if any) did you get on Mod 1? If you got none you got the same as me, except my Mod 2 one was for pulling out too sharply when I could have waited.

16. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Congrats man, I passed a few weeks ago and picked up a cbr600f fom 91 for 600 quid the other day! Shabby cosmetically but runs soundly, so there are decent bikes out there for not very much!

I decided not to buy a new bike because I assumed I'm going to bin my first bike, everyone keeps telling me I will although I've got away with it so far...kinda hoping it doesn't happen!

Have any of the riders on here never crashed?

17. Xir

Xir Modder

Hmmm depends on how you define crash :D
    When I just had my license i went straigt instead of cornering once..ending up in the bush but not dropping the bike. :blush:
    I dropped EVERY bike I had upto now at least once while not sitting on it (simply tipping it over while handling into-out of the garage) :wallbash:
    I got rear-ended by a bike following me while turning off the road, resulting in a very slow (yet expensive) :D crash

18. Xir

Xir Modder

Oh, and managed to drive off while the disk-lock was still on this weekend.
    Tore the brake caliper right off the front fork :waah:
    This is going to be a costly reminder...

19. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Ouch, expensive reminder indeed! Did the caliper bolts shear off or is it new caliper/fork mount?

20. Xir

Xir Modder

The caliper and the bolts are allright, but the mount broke right off the fork. :jawdrop:
    If i'm lucky, I can change the...fork-end-thingy (don't know what it's called in english), it's an upside-down fork, so it's the aluminum bit holding the axle and the brake calipers.
    With any luck, the disk is warped as well, so that would mean two new disks as well :grr: