1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAM Goes Pop

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by MODZERO, 11 Jul 2011.

1. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Hi Team,

I'm looking for a little advice, In my introduction thread I'd mentioned my FAH2 rig (name for my second folding PC, original eh) had been playing up and some faulty Ballistix RAM was to blame. Well it's happening again.

Quick back story, Id been using 4x1GB DDR2 8500 Ballistix RAM in that machine since I'd built it, the RAM was new (RMA) and supported by the motherboard (EVGA 680i SLI) the base spec was built from old parts the mobo and CPU I'd sourced from friends.

I ran Memtest 86+ when I started getting BSOD's:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and sure enough found this.

[​IMG]

So I took out two stick and ran again..

[​IMG]

Problem solved.

Its been running 24/7 since then with no issues.... well... untill I started to OC the pair of GTX470's. Now like the first photo the remaining 2x1GB Dimms are spitting out thousands of errors.

My question, Have I damaged the RAM by pushing my GPU's too far? (800/1600 1.038v)

I really don't want to buy more DDR2 RAM.. and have a buyer lined up for the 470's so it might just mean an early push into a second 2600K.. I'm just gutted as my PPD was finally starting to look impressive.

So.. could Memtest be lying to me? Or is it likely my unquenchable thirst for more points has cost me 4 sticks of RAM:waah:

Cheers Guys​

2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

After I put an overclock on my CPU and GPU, I started getting BSOD's, then they became more common. Try what I did, test each individual stick in each slot and you may get to the bottom of it, turns out I'd fried one of my sticks.

3. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Thanks chap, So you'd agree it certainly looks like more fried RAM? Any chance of a motherboard fault? Those 680i chipsets never were to great. I've just gotten EK to hook me up with two new Supreme HF blocks.. so at these point I'm leaning toward selling up and putting a linux build in it's place.

The two 470's net about 13-15k PPD each, would a 2600k under water with a 4.8-5GHZ oc net me more then that? It's certainly worth doing for the power saving and as a result less heat dump into my room. Just need a little more convincing before I drop about £450 one gear.

4. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

A 2600K at 4.5GHz will generate approx 43K PPD running Linux -bigadv (new points system).

Both my machines maintain a steady A + 38DegC (one in an Antec 300 using an Artic Freezer 13 and the other in Silverstone PS03B using a Gelid Tranquillo). On a reasonably warm day they are chugging along at approx 60DegC.

IMO 4.5GHz is a sweet spot for this processor if you are interested in folding efficiency as moving beyond 4.5 will definitely require more volts (I'm running mine at 1.295V).

5. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Great stuff, When overclocking to those frequency's with Sandy Bridge how important is quality RAM? Is a kit like G.Skill RipJawsX 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-17000C9 2133MHz just pointless over kill?

Thanks for the great advice.

J.

6. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

2133Mhz ram is overkill, just a decent pair of 2Gb dimms of 1600Mhz will do everything you need when folding bigadv/smp.

7. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Cheers Pal,

How about a set of Corsair Vengeance 4GB (2x2GB)? I've been trying to do some research on which Z68 board are good overclockers, not a great deal of info out there yet, I've got it down to one of three

Asus P8Z68-V Intel Z68 £129.98 inc VAT

Gigabyte Z68X-UD3P Intel Z68 £148.98 inc VAT

Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z Intel Z68 £149.99 inc VAT

I'm trying to keep costs down as much as possible but want to buy from a brand i'm used too and know I can trust. £150 is my limit on the motherboard and around £50 on the RAM. As I intend to use the IGP it's hard to find OC results where they've done the same.

J.

8. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Ballistix while fast ram has always had very high failure rates.

I must have rma'd 3 or more kits since ddr1 days.

9. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Well, I have a P8P67, the P8Z68 is virtually the same thing. My 2600k hits 4.6Ghz with just 1.295V and is currently folding quite happily at 65 degrees on a H70 with a single 38MM fan turned right down (its about 25dB). So I imagine that board would do fine.

In all honesty, you don't want to O/C past 4.5Ghz for 24x7 folding as you will generate a lot more heat and burn a lot more power for very little PPD increase, so any of those boards will do what you want quite happily.

As an example, my system draws exactly 219W currently at 4.6Ghz, but to bump up to 5Ghz is draws 255W. Huge increase for a tiny O/C.

The issue with the vengance is the height, you will have issues with a few coolers.

What I am using is this:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-094-KS&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=1517

And it has been running away very happily at 1600Mhz with 1.5V for the past few months.

What I will say, when its done post some pics and stick a power meter on, I will be building a 24x7 2600k folder real soon and I am interested in the PPD/Watt figures... (I will be going mATX to drop the power draw down even further too, should save 20-30W)

10. One_Box

I use Corsair Vengeance (2X2GB) in each of my P8P67s. It runs fine @ 1.5V 1600MHz.

The heatspreaders are tall however and if you wanted to use 4 stcks in 1 mobo you may have a problem (depending on your CPU cooler).

11. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Thanks for that, I'll certainly be posting lots of photos and I guess its about time I bought a power meter (can you recomend one? I imagine Maplins sells them?) So 4.5GHZ is the sweet spot, I'll aim for that. I'll be ordering on Thursday (pay day for me) but I've got a mad busy weekend so It'll probably be mid next week before I can pay it some attention. As for the RAM does 8GB offer any advantage over four?

I like the look of the Vengeance, What I think I'll do is pull the trigger one what ever 1600MHz RAM is best priced come Thursday. It'll be under water using a EK Supreme HF so I'm not worried about any heat spreader issues.

Great advice guys, Should be an exciting build.

J.

12. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

As far as 8Gb v 4Gb. Hows the budget?

You likely won't need 8Gb if you are doing bigadv etc but it wouldn't hurt.

My system only uses around 2.3-2.5Gb of memory (under Win7 too) when folding so 4Gb would be enough.

One piece of advice, stick to just two dimms rather than 4, that way you can lower the VCCIO a little which will knock the temps down by around 5 degrees, if you have 4 sticks this isn't always possible.

Power meters, any will do really. Im sure maplins will have one, check online first as you should be able to get one for a tenner.

*edit*

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/r...s&keywords=power+meter&ie=UTF8&qid=1310483450

13. littlepuppi

littlepuppi Currently playing MWO and loving it

Using the same memory as yourself and equally impressed. Bargain price as well.

14. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

All parts ordered, the linux build starts tomorrow. Today, I gotta strip down the rig for sale. went with 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Jet Black and the Asus Maxumus IV Gene-Z + 2600k.

I'll start a build thread here in the folding section as it's purely a folding rig and I'm gonna need some help with the linux install.

Fun times.

J.

15. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

16. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

11.04 appears to be the latest Ubuntu release, should running that instead of 10.10 make a difference?

J.

17. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Possibly. I found using 10.04 didn't work with those instructions, but 10.10 was fine. Stick with 10.10 for an easier experience.

18. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Cheers pal, Will do.

J.

19. One_Box

I've upgraded both my systems to 11.04 from 10.10 and am now using the latest 2.6.38-10-generic-ck kernel.

The only issue I had was with the new Ubuntu desktop (I prefer Gnome). It was easy to select the classic desktop however so no problem.

In terms of performance I cannot detect a difference, but I always use the latest kernel for security reasons and as the hardware is new.

Nice mobo by the way, good luck :)

20. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Did you install 10.10 as per the guide, then once up and running update to 11.04 using software update? I think I'm going to install using 10.10 just so I have the guide to fall back on.

Has your 11.04 been affected by this? I was searching for a 11.04 guide to folding and found it.. I know nothing... it could be rubbish.

I'm a little worried I'll have issues using the IGP under Linux, worried still that 10.10 may be lacking support for the Z68 chipset.

I guess I'll find out soon enough.

J.