1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Steam not listed in Battlefield 3 release plans

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Jul 2011.

1. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Please explain how VALVE games are tied into Steam, even retail copies, is competition. If I bought a retail copy I would like to run it without any Steam interaction. What I see is that it's their game and they can pretty much do what they want with it.

To expand on it. The only place you can buy Left4Dead or Portal is either retail or Steam. D2D don't have them. When you buy retail you still have to install Steam to play. EA is simply doing what's the compettition doing with their own titles.

2. Kris

Kris Lord Lolwut

Small comparison between steam and d2drive games (i've only bought from d2d once, as witcher two was 34 eur instead of 50 at steam :/):
    step one: download rar file
    step two: extract
    step three: install
    step 4: delete installer + rar file.

steam install: download game
    (maybe some small installs like dx or c++ distributable update)
    run game

it's just so much easier, and same thing about the game catalogue, having your games on steam, then having games in other accounts etc it just makes it more uncomfortable, that's the main reason people are preaching steam perhaps?

I know that if possible, i would not buy from another dl service if steam doesn't have a good price, i'd rather get the retail version.

3. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Sure. Whenever the price drops to 15-20€. By that time, will just play the SP and uninstall.
    PS:
    This!

4. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

If I were at Dice I'd be seriously pissed that it looks like EA are going to use this game as a guinea pig to promote Origin. This is the one game that sells itself, you'd have thought it'd be impossible to screw it up yet they're trying . Many don't want multiple clients on their PCs, all open and all vying for bandwidth.

5. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Where are the good old days where I could pop down to Game pr PC world and get the latest games. When finished with packed them away in my cupboard with my other old games and every now and then take them old for old times sakes.

Damn I still have the old Wing Commander IV with all 6 CD's. I hated it when the likes of steam and the rest came in to take control

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

why cant they let steam manage the downloads and stuff, its a proven platform, that for most users just works, i dont want multiple dowloaders on my system

7. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Thats the easy part, the hard part is keep track of friends on several "downloaders" lists.

8. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Hm, Steam which automatically downloads and applies updates, or the horrors of BF2142 patches where they must be installed in chronological order by hand for new installs.

Yep, my vote's with Steam or any similar automatic system. Having to hunt down and apply patches is a thing of the past.

Either you've failed to understand what's going on or you're purposefully choosing to ignore reality, neither one makes for a convincing argument. The article makes it quite clear that EA is willing to offer their games on digital distribution services other than Origin.

You might also want to check up on the meaning of competition, selling one's product exclusively on rival platforms is about as competitive as one can be.

9. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Sloth, what percentage of digital distribution on the PC does Steam cover?

Before you attempt to understand what you are talking about, find out that figure. That figure is what EA are scrubbing out of their minds. (for clarification) That figure is what EA want to take from Steam and sink in to Origin.

added:

to all those banging on about how this is competition for Steam - competition is being able to buy Heinz beans in Tesco, Sainsbury and Morrisons. Competition is NOT only being able to buy Heinz beans from the Heinz beans exclusive outlet and a couple of non-entities.

and another thing:

those that are moaning about those that are moaning about this story - maybe you don't actually use Steam's benefits like the rest of us, therefore you don't comprehend the annoyance this is causing us?

Last edited: 12 Jul 2011
  10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Just look at EAs history and what they have done to PC Gaming, do we really want their Service (origin) to succeed or would we all be happier if it went down the drain and another Company would try to compete with Steam instead?

11. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

so basically im not buying the game. thank EA for letting me know this.

12. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

" if we're not allowed to manage this experience directly and establish a relationship with you, it disrupts our ability to provide the support you expect and deserve."

Oh, like that 5 years of missing patch for Battlefield 2 that finally a third party had to pay EA for to give out?

13. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Good point.

14. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

15. leveller

Screw BF3 and EA.

My allegiance is with whoever is battling for great PC gaming, it is clear from EA's actions they are battling for Origin which offers none of Steams social benefits to the end user.

Therefore MODERN WARFARE 3 ftfw :rock:

Never thought I'd support Activision in anything tbh. And this will only last until they announce their alternative delivery system as well.

16. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

I feel sorry for DICE. I'm definitely gonna get this game for them. They made a brilliant BC2, and I want this to be a success (in retail sales, at least) so that people look to this sort of way forward rather than the MW way forward...

17. leveller

There is no doubt that the game will sell VERY well, regardless of what a few of us may or may not do.

It's just a shame DICE can't take their franchise to Valve.

18. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

All this resistance was around when steam first arrived too. Now we all love Steam, and Origin is the big bad.

I think they can both co-exist; release the game on Steam and Origin, make the Origin version £5 cheaper, win?

19. oatey4519

oatey4519 can't be arsed...

Think your right.
    If Origin played the cheaper card and started to do deals later on like Steam more people would be happy.
    I run both and they sit happy together in my tray.

20. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

EA still wants patches and DLCs to be manually downloaded and installed, à la Crysis 2 DX11 and HR textures packs.

Last edited: 8 Aug 2011
Tags: Add Tags